Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 91134 times)

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2012, 04:54:01 AM »
How much did they charge for the paper copies Martyn?

I would think the British equivalent of the storch would be the Auster? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dig out the files for the Fairery Firefly while your up there!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2012, 06:05:03 AM »
since they scan the docs the same way, whether its supplied on paper or disk, I'd guess about ... £199.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:19 AM »
How much did they charge for the paper copies Martyn?

I would think the British equivalent of the storch would be the Auster? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dig out the files for the Fairery Firefly while your up there!

I've asked for: -
     1. AVIA 18/691
     2. AVIA 15/580

Charge: £185.40

Still waiting for news that they've been copied.

I think you're right about the Auster. And the American equivalent would have been the Grass Hopper.

So where does the Lysander fit in? I guess it doesn't.

Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »
So it's fifteen quid cheaper than getting em scanned.

I made an Airfix Lysander when I was a lad and that had attachments to the wheel spats with small bombs I seem to remember - but that was a long time ago :)

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
The Lysander was really an EW bird. Totally outclassed even early on. The only useful thing it might be used for is rescuing pilots or GV crews (to save perks from being lost). A situation we don't have in-game. <sigh>.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Here's an interesting article which features a Whirlwind pilot's experiences.

:salute to the Supermarine Walrus crew I think. I found the story quite sobering at the end.

I hope the resolution is good enough to read.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »
I was most moved by the letter he wrote for his parents. It's easy to forget playing this simulator what the real impact on real lives was, of what all these fellows went through.

It's a bit hard to read from the scans so I wrote it out for everyone:-

MY DEAR MUM AND DAD
By the time you read this I shall have been reported missing or killed. Be brave - I have died as I wanted to die, I have enjoyed every minute of my flying, but have always regretted that it caused you worry.
   You have been the most wonderful parents any boy could have wished for - you have given me every opportunity, every chance to make good, every encouragement. You have humoured my moods, admonished me gently when I have been wrong.
   Goodbye for now and thank you for twenty wonderful years.
Love,
Your son
John

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Oh my, how'd this get here?

:bolt:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline blood_scout67

• Zinc Member
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »
i would love to see the westland as it know for its hard armor(well hard for those times) and great speed and manuvaring not to mention the firepower 4 hispano cannons they could rip apart a messer 110 with just a squeez :salute
-_- i can smell your blood i can hunt you down bang your hit

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »
Where is Nrshida at with all the info on this Bird!!!  :joystick:

Why has it not been added!!!!  :joystick:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
Where is Nrshida at with all the info on this Bird!!!  :joystick:

Why has it not been added!!!!  :joystick:

I really have nothing left to contribute. I have spent hours and hours searching for resources and have shared everything I could find. I honestly think on this moment there are no more internet resources available. All that remains is some drawings regarding aerofoil sections only interesting if you are going to make a 3d model.

Frankly I can't see HTC adding this aircraft soon as it's slow, won't climb well and is British. There are far more attractive late war monsters for people to wish for and then also the perceived holes in the planeset. The Bristol Beaufighter boys have been waiting just as long.

It's obviously a popular suggestion. The earliest Westland Whirlwind thread I could find was dated almost ten years ago. This thread has currently had 4595 views and nary a bad word said against its addition. I really haven't seen that many Wishlist threads get the same reception and everyone has contributed whatever they have.

I think this aircraft would offer absolutely unique attributes in the world of Aces High and would be an awful lot of fun (and take a long time to master) but I'm not going to hang my hopes out on it because I'll only get frustrated & disillusioned.

One final thing I can offer is the following gif that I made. Any other fans of the Whirlwind feel free to incorporate it into your avatars to show solidarity and support for its eventual inclusion :pray

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:12:44 PM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2012, 06:54:15 AM »
I'm still waiting for the National Archives to let me know when the information is ready for collection.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
Give them a nudge Martyn, they have probably nodded off while copying it!

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
I have - twice. No response.

I may have to put on my black death vest, find my best german helmet, get on my easy rider, practice my most evil grin and visit them personally.

Perhaps this time I'll wear my jeans too, because some bits can be less intimidating in this cold weather.