Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 91057 times)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »
It's kinda reminds me of a Mossie's Minime...+1 again, I want this almost as bad as the meteor.

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
What's up with the 1/2 black underbelly on some spits and the whirlwind? Never got that story...

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
it was an early version of the invasion stripes used by the allies later in the war.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »
 :O

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
 :pray :pray :pray

"Dear God, please send down the Westland Whirlwind to Aces High, and cure cancer, and end hunger, and stop the wars, and lots of other important stuff....  but give us the Whirlwind first, m'kay? Please?"

:pray :pray :pray
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »
I have some more information from the pilot's manual which I will post shortly  :banana:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Hey shida, you have this book?

EXCELLENT resource, tons of pilot reports and detailed info on every single whirlwind produced, from date built to each and every one's final fate.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:08:43 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
No I'm afraid I don't have that book. I'm a bit strapped at the moment with materials for my course. I'd love to see some snippets though if you feel inclined to share with us fellow Crikey fans  :pray

Some interesting information from the Pilot's Manual regarding the flap and slats, the operation of which had been somewhat of a mystery until now:-

Interconnection of Fowler flap, root slats and radiator shutters

6.   These components are interconnected and cannot be operated separately; the movement of the Fowler flap automatically controls the others,

8.   It should be noted that, unlike most present hydraulic flap controls the movement of the flap is progressive with the movement of the flap control lever.

18.   The root slats are hydraulically operated and controlled by the movement of the flap. The root slats are closed whilst the flap is up but when the flap is lowered to the take-off position a trip lever operates the hydraulic valve for the slat jacks and the slats are immediately fully opened. They will remain fully open during any further movement of the flap but will close again when the flap moves up past the quarter-travel position...

19.   The outer slats are entirely automatic in operation.

Important. -    The aeroplane should not be flown above certain speeds with the flaps depressed. It should be remembered that setting the radiator shutters for maximum cooling also depresses the flaps, so the aeroplane must not be flown at very high speeds in maximum cooling position. The maximum permissible speeds for various flap positions are as follows:-

(a)   Flaps depressed about 10⁰, to give maximum cooling position of radiator shutters - 300 m.p.h. A.S.I.

(b)   Flap depressed half-way - 200 m.p.h. A.S.I.

(c)   Flap fully down for landing - 160  m.p.h. A.S.I.

I was encouraged by the reasonably high speeds the flaps can be deployed at, and that the operation of the flap also operates the inner slat, so it is a little bit like a mini airliner when it comes to high lift devices.

Also that the outer wing slats were automatic in operation just like the 109 (Handley-Page design). Presumably fitted for the same reason as the 109.

I'm definitely viewing the Whirly now more as the illegitimate love child of a back-alley rendezvous betwixt C Hog and Mosquito.  :banana:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:16:11 PM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2012, 05:24:28 AM »
Much prettier than its younger namesake as well  :uhoh

"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »
"What's up with the 1/2 black underbelly on some spits and the whirlwind?"

When mostly operating above friendly skies in interception role it is easier for flak directors to detect friend from foe. I.e. the same reason why later on the airfield cover 190-D9s had the red striped underbelly.

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
More tater food :)  :banana:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »
Just keep climbing young Jo. Four Hispanos mounted in the nose, less than 12 inches apart, tends to negate an awful lot of excess power  :old:

What is the longest Aces High Mosquito shot on record by the way?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »

(a)   Flaps depressed about 10⁰, to give maximum cooling position of radiator shutters - 300 m.p.h. A.S.I.

(b)   Flap depressed half-way - 200 m.p.h. A.S.I.

(c)   Flap fully down for landing - 160  m.p.h. A.S.I.

Wow, those flap speeds could make this even more fun then I was thinking.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:59:36 AM by Fish42 »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »
What is the longest Aces High Mosquito shot on record by the way?
Dunno what the longest is, but I've downed a fleeing P-51D at about 1000 yards.  I don't think I'd have taken that shot in a Whirlwind though as it doesn't have the Mosquito's ammo load.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Wow, those flap speeds could make this even more fun then I was thinking.

Yup. Don't forget about the slats too, almost the Grumman Tomcat of its day  :banana: Well, we can dream can't we  :pray

I figure the ability to drop that Fowler flap and slats at a medium speed, plus the very long reaching armament and excellent energy retention might compensate for the mediocre climb rate. What do you reckon?

Dunno what the longest is, but I've downed a fleeing P-51D at about 1000 yards.  I don't think I'd have taken that shot in a Whirlwind though as it doesn't have the Mosquito's ammo load.

Do we know what the maximum range of the Hispano is as modelled in game? I heard some rounds cease to exist after a certain distance. I've also snipped a P-51D wing off with a P-39's 37-mm once at 1000 yards indicated. Was the last round too. He was also fleeing. Strange  :lol

I was wondering if some of you fellow fans of the Westland Whirlwind might consider appending this to your signatures to show support (and naturally display your fine taste in aircraft  :lol). It's mixed black and white to reflect the underside paint job:-

(center))Westland Whirlwind(color=white) Appreciation Society(/color)(/center)

Just replace each curved bracket with its equivalent square one to get this:-

Westland Whirlwind Appreciation Society

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-