Author Topic: Seventh Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results  (Read 41972 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Seventh Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »
Alright, first I will verify that Joachim won by my forfeiting. Having said that, who the hell made up the rules/guidelines for this thing? Last dueling bracket I did was when Exile made them, and they were much better. The fights took place wherever the two players wanted to fight (which most of the time was 23/24). It was deck merges, and there wasn't all this "Show up by X time, or you forfeit" crap. If someone couldn't show up, it was no big deal and it was just re-scheduled.

These canyon fights and 10k merges really ruin the point of dueling IMO. If you insist on keeping the 10k merges, (lame IMO as everyone just dives down before the merge to get speed anyway), why not use the 10k bases? That would save having to spend half the flight time to the other base climbing.

The rules have evolved over time as people, unfortunately, took advantage of any gap in the rules to get ahead.  Frankly if we had only the most basic rules I'd be a lot happier but then I, or the committee, would be called on the carpet for playing favorites so they've evolved to create as many balck and white situations as possible.

The canyons were chosen for two primary reasons; they are the easiest place to find in the DA for those unfamiliar and they have the most fields available.  As a secondary consideration they add another element to the duel and for those that don't want that there is flat terrain on both sides of the canyon.  Merge alt was somewhat arbitrary but was chosen to allow an initial downhill fight.  Flight time to merge is generally about 3 - 3 1/2 minutes.

I'm not opposed to moving the duels to other fields or altering merge alts but several elements of the tournament are meant to allow lesser skilled pilots to participate and stand a chance and I wouldn't want to lose that as we'd lower the appeal to newer players.

On a side note I've been considering when the right time will be to do an invitational only tournament invlolving only those who have made the final rounds and at that time I suspect many of the rules will change considerably regarding many of these issues.

I hope that answers your questions.

On the Yarbles/StokesAk issue it's really up to Yarbles at this point if he wants to try to rearrange the duel or take the forfeit.  The duel was scheduled and StokesAk didn't show up.  Some people only have limited availability to play the game.  I happen to be among them.  In my case being gone for 13-14 hours per day for work would make rescheduling difficult.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:03:06 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25:46 AM »
The 10k canyon makes no sense to me either. Why let the environment be a factor in a skills competition? If you want new players to stand a chance make a ranking system and put them against other noobs.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »
Just my opinion here.

The canyons test your skill as much as your opponent. If you don't know where the ground is below or around you then I would say that is a good test. I have lost and won fights because my opponent used the terrain to his advantage and I pushed it too far. To me this is no different that pushing your stall too far and having it cost you the fight.

BE I say leave it as is. Some of the best fights that I have had were in this tourney and were a direct result of the canyon rule. :rock

:salute
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
The 10k canyon makes no sense to me either. Why let the environment be a factor in a skills competition? If you want new players to stand a chance make a ranking system and put them against other noobs.

A second (losers') bracket that includes only the losers of the first elimination round?

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2011, 12:42:51 AM »
I like youtube videos of AH maybe this could be their.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
A second (losers') bracket that includes only the losers of the first elimination round?
That would work also.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »
:headscratch:

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2011, 03:43:17 AM »
please start another thread if anyone has something to discuss or debate or give an opinion on regarding BaldEagl's dueling tournament

This is the 7th running of this event, the rules have hardly changed since the 1st Dueling Tournament

who enters/signs up for a tournament and participates without reading the rules & procedures before hand???

this thread is only for posting results of matches and posting of the next bracket round after the previous round has been completed, it is not for clogging up with replys other than Results & New Bracket Round Charts

I am positive that BaldEagl would greatly appreciate this, so he does not have to wade through all the posts & replies that have nothing to do with the Thread Topic

Cheers

TC
  :aok
When people sign up they accept the rules and the decision of the judges. If they are not happy with any of that the time to bring it up is before the event. It is also worth saying that I don't think anyone gets paid to do this and first and foremost people should be gratefull that people put time asside to organise this so we can participate in it rather than just being negative about some aspect or other they don't like. Also remember the event is staged for everyone and is not the property of any one competitor.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »
Just my opinion here.

The canyons test your skill as much as your opponent. If you don't know where the ground is below or around you then I would say that is a good test. I have lost and won fights because my opponent used the terrain to his advantage and I pushed it too far. To me this is no different that pushing your stall too far and having it cost you the fight.

BE I say leave it as is. Some of the best fights that I have had were in this tourney and were a direct result of the canyon rule. :rock

:salute

I have to admit I also like the canyons it just adds a new element to the fight, and makes you sharpen up your SA. gotta pay attention.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »
:huh

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
I have to admit I also like the canyons it just adds a new element to the fight, and makes you sharpen up your SA. gotta pay attention.

I am in wholehearted agreemant with Ink & Haxxor here.  The canyons add a depth to the fight that you can't get from flat terrain. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
Good Morning gus (gusman ),

Please Check or Message Inbox, I am running a wee bit late this mornin.......

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »
Good Morning gus (gusman ),

Please Check or Message Inbox, I am running a wee bit late this mornin.......

<S>

TC

Thanks gus......... time is confirmed

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »
truss51 chk PMs plz.    
-AoM-