Author Topic: another darwin candidate  (Read 3364 times)

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
Re: another darwin candidate
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »

cap, you of all peeps should know its not a freaking emergency brake. its a PARKING brake, it was never designed to stop a vahicle in motion,but instead to keep an allready stopped vehicle Parked. 

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig.

-Penguin

Where did you happen to draw that conclusion from? You do know that the emergency brake uses part of the main braking system in most cases, the rear brakes. It is hardly suseptable to "snap like a dry twig".
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
Where did you happen to draw that conclusion from? You do know that the emergency brake uses part of the main braking system in most cases, the rear brakes. It is hardly suseptable to "snap like a dry twig".

the emergency brake is normally a series of cables connected to a lever inside the brake drum, or on the brake caliper, which will mechanically actuate the rear brakes. it won't give you anywhere near the stopping power, but if you've been paying attention, and following properly.....that meaning 2 seconds minimum behind the vehicle in front of you........it should be enough to avoid hitting them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
Cap, I'm familiar with the mechanics of the design and operation. I was asking where penguin got the snap like a twig bit from. I doubt he will reply. 

IIRC he's all of 13 so his experiance with an automobile is going to be rather limited. He sure likes to post about things like he has a clue however.
 :huh
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
Cap, I'm familiar with the mechanics of the design and operation. I was asking where penguin got the snap like a twig bit from. I doubt he will reply. 

IIRC he's all of 13 so his experience with an automobile is going to be rather limited. He sure likes to post about things like he has a clue however.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
frickin double post.
 :furious
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »

IIRC he's all of 13 so his experience with an automobile is going to be rather limited. He sure likes to post about things like he has a clue however.

i know ya are....i only quoted yours 'cause it was right there.
 and yea.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
cobias right, the parking brake will do next to nothing. theres very good reasons why brakes are actuated by hydraulic lines with servos and not cables. try it - find a decent slope, release the parking brake, get to 20mph then try to stop the car using just the parking brake. and make sure theres nothing in front of you for at least a coupla hundred yards because you're going to need all of it.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »

i know ya are....i only quoted yours 'cause it was right there.
 and yea.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »
cobias right, the parking brake will do next to nothing. theres very good reasons why brakes are actuated by hydraulic lines with servos and not cables. try it - find a decent slope, release the parking brake, get to 20mph then try to stop the car using just the parking brake. and make sure theres nothing in front of you for at least a coupla hundred yards because you're going to need all of it.

been there done that. was doin 40 though.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »

The parking brake actuates only the rear brakes. Under normal braking the front brakes do most of the stopping.

Your parking brake can and will still stop you. If will be a greater distance than normal braking.

Many refer to the parking brake as an emergency brake. It is both.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »
The parking brake actuates only the rear brakes. Under normal braking the front brakes do most of the stopping.

Your parking brake can and will still stop you. If will be a greater distance than normal braking.

Many refer to the parking brake as an emergency brake. It is both.

that would be due to the fact that it is primarily an emergency brake.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2011, 03:46:40 PM »
that would be due to the fact that it is primarily an emergency brake.  :aok

you must have completely different systems in the US then, because over here its used for parking. engine braking is also used in an emergency, but its only designed as a primary function for braking in trucks (Jake-brakes.)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
while i believe in wearing my helmet when i ride.......i do not believe anyone should have the right to tell me i must wear it. this rates right up there with seatbelts.

It also rates right up there with child safety seats by that thinking, CAP.  Think about it.  Sure, I agree and support that it's the American way to not tell you what to do and how to do it, and that's all and fine up until you're being held responcible for anothers irresponcibility.

These laws aren't to protect idiots who are too stupid to wear a helmet, but protect those that god forbid get into an accident with these idiots.  Even if it's not my fault but I was involved in an accident where the other guy died as a result of the accident, you better believe I'll be at least spending the night in jail if not looking forward to a very long a grueling criminal court case facing manslaughter charges, and god have mercy on me if I had a single beer with the meal I had before the accident.

The next time you're makign a left turn and have a close call, and afterwards are contemplating "what if that idiot" just did one more thing different, you better prey that on that list of what-ifs is that if they have a child with them that they decided to fasten them into a car seat, or if they were riding a bike that they had helmets, otherwise it's your arse that is grass.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
you must have completely different systems in the US then, because over here its used for parking. engine braking is also used in an emergency, but its only designed as a primary function for braking in trucks (Jake-brakes.)

well, there's a reason that they're easy to reach. i mean...how many people do you know that actually set it when they park? i do, for the record, in my truck, and jeep.....when i had my stang, i just left it in gear.

it is designed as a failsafe, incase your braking system fails.

that being said.....i'd suspect that the majority of drivers on the roads today wouldn't react nearly quick enough to use it, so it's kinda pointless anyway.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"