Author Topic: A TT in EVERY MAP  (Read 876 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: A TT in EVERY MAP
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
If your goal is for tanks to have no interaction with aircraft, you're in the wrong game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 09:59:03 PM »
No, but there is excessive interaction in the MA's, and theres no denying it. Too many fights ruined, too many tanks bombed.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 06:20:25 AM »
how about a gv only arena.

Offline Erwin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
I agree with Butcher AND you Lusche, 20k walls r good. The bombing would be less frequent, heck make them 28 K GVing in the Himalayan Mts! Just make 1 vbase untakeable. Just give each team 1 vbase now that I think about it. We r there to duke it out not win bases. ( Unlike some of the dolts who go into TT)  Spawn on spawn points would also enhance game play and maybe get rid of the need for a sole TT. The current waste of space map thats running now offers 1 or 2 good GV points depending on WHO owns the adjoining field. 10 minute drives to spawn points is pointless and retracts from game time and over all fun. Fix the maps then give us the King Tiger Happy Meal. Lets prioritize AH.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »
The problem I have with it, is there is nothing to do in GV's other than camp or be camped.

The last few times I tried it, I either spawn out to nothingness anywhere, or I spawn out to what sounds like a reenactment of the Battle is Savo Island, where so many rounds are falling from the spawn campers that I either log off or jump back in an airplane.

There is no shoot and scoot, no cover and concealment, no flanking attack and the only ambush is at the spawn itself. It's spawn out shoot till you dead or out of ammo, complain about every A/C you see, then call yourself a GV'er... :lol

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
There is no shoot and scoot, no cover and concealment, no flanking attack and the only ambush is at the spawn itself.

In the past there has been a lot of battles with all this. I have spend hundreds of hours in them, with flanking movements, ambushes, relocation, making use of terrain on offense & defense and so on. And the re still are, they just have gotten much rarer due to several reasons. The TT tradition had been broken, and we had lost several maps that had the vbases setup in a way that was greatly contributing to a more challenging and varied combat  environment.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
and we had lost several maps that had the vbases setup in a way that was greatly contributing to a more challenging and varied combat  environment.

I don't have pictures of any of those maps anymore, but let me show something that might explain what i'm talking about.

The standard setup is one Vbase with one (or occasionally more) spanws into it. That means having a defender with all the home turf advantages AH has to offer and one attacker that is for all purposes already "dead" when spawning in. Most of the time the defender either sits on concrete, listening for enemy noises or camps the spawn.

We had at least one large map in the past, in which we had long strings of interconnected, paired Vbases similar to this setup on Ozkansas, at quite a distance from the next airbases:

Two bases that closely means there is a much smaller "home turf" zone for everybody. The two spawns mean that you can get into battle quick, but the base proximity means also that both sides have a reasonable chance to drive back and land their kills or costly perk tanks - which generally results in players willing to take more risks, instead of sitting just there. Both sides can and will be flanked, so you cant just focus your attention on a very small spawn area.

Each time Ozkansas comes up, there is a lot of action there, from simple spawncamping to armored sweeps - until one side flattens all hangars and captures the base. On the map I do remember that did happen too, but as there were a lot of those vbase pairs, it didn't cripple the ground war totally.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
Looks very similar to some areas in existing maps (unless they've been taken out of rotation in the past 3 months).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
Looks very similar to some areas in existing maps (unless they've been taken out of rotation in the past 3 months).

Uhmm as I said. The picture above IS from an exciting map:

We had at least one large map in the past, in which we had long strings of interconnected, paired Vbases similar to this setup on Ozkansas, at quite a distance from the next airbases:

The difference is: It is the a single location, not a string of Vbases set uo like this, at a distance from all airbase (and unreachable by CVs)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

That ain't the reason either, as it doesn't keep players from spawning to places where they can bet on countless bombs raining down all the time. Again, Trinity TT is the place best shielded from enemy bombs that does exist on any map.

In short, two things did kill off TT as an institution: First we lost all big maps after the arena split, leaving only Ndisles with a TT. And this was neutered by a major terrain redisgn, pulling the spawns to far to the rear while at the same introducing a friggin hedge maze. So we had only one TT , which the players didn't use any more as before due to that horrible terrain at that time. And this simply broke the tradition.
When we got some big maps back about 3-4 years later (notably Trinity), a huge part of the community had never witnessed a fully functional TT environment in action, so they didn't have an idea what to do with it. And it's the same as with arena choice - nobody goes were nobody is.

Right now, I'm contemplating about starting one final try to get something going on Trinity again when the new KT shows up. Unfortunately I'm a bad organizer/leader and love in the wrong timezone. But it would be a shame to let this opportunity pass, whene everybody is eager to try the new tank but may be reluctant it up it at the usual spawncamps due to it's high perk cost. Trinity TT has many advantages, with everybody being able to drive home and land no matter what team he's on being a very big one...

So someone can up a M16 and kill your King like happens to tiger now......lol......Trinity TT does have a veryyyyyyy long spawn.
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
So someone can up a M16 and kill your King like happens to tiger now......lol......Trinity TT does have a veryyyyyyy long spawn.

The spawn is not "veryyyyyyy" long, and most importantly: It's not any longer that it used to be when TT on Trinity was packed with activity. Players didn't stop playing there because the distances were too long. When you have 60+ players there the time until you see action is very short. They stopped because the map was taken away.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 07:12:30 PM »
oops, didn't see that lusche  :bolt:.

And he's right, I barely started in time to catch the end of the TT era, and fights didn't stop because distances were too long, or excessive bomb****ing (though it was present, and could be annoying when you lost a tiger), no map = no fight.

This also meant that as players left, and others came, fewer and fewer remember what a good, healthy tank town is like. Since they don't know what it CAN be like, all they have to go in is what it usually is (ie, empty). Tank town could make a come-back if we could reach 'critical mass' as lusche puts it. If you only have 5-6 tanks on each side, the fights will fizzle out as people leave or go dogfight.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »
I curious how the addition of the 17lbr affected the GV side, if at all.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
Made it harder to approach a v-base or port with only a few vehicles.  IMO, what the port needs is the guns from the fleet to fire as well.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
The AKdesert map (Old Pizza) had a line of GV bases all around the outside edge of the map, as well as one of Festers maps that had lines of GV bases. You could find lots of battles when those maps were up. But again, no source file, so the maps can't be upgraded to the newer terrain set and so were lost.