Author Topic: Wish for the week - Old strat system  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Wish for the week - Old strat system
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
I can't say that I'd like to see the old strat system back, but I would like to see a new strat system that made strategic bombing operations worth something.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
I've outlined a couple wishlist items before that integrated zones with the old individual strats, and the "mega strat" being tied into the zones for resupply.

That way we could have both, and both would be important for different reasons (i.e. a zone or front you want to bomb to help your team, or an overall bombing effort to harm the enemy production).

I think that would be best, a mix of both.
yep!  I said this as well before,,never understood why it got changed in the first place?  and the spawns to know where are no fun!
 both the new and the old would be great but we need something, the new mega city is a no fun trip and not worth anything when you get there!,  you can go around bombing city centers for a lot more damage points, this should not be!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline BuckP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 02:57:40 AM »
We lost a dynamic of the game with the current system in my opinion.  The furball can be fun sometimes.  Long bomber runs can be fun sometimes.  Bomber hunting can be fun sometimes.  GVing can be fun at times.  But I miss the late night (can't sleep) get in a plane and go beat up some strat.  No squaddies are online, there are maybe 2 or 3 total furballs happening in different places, and I just want a leisure ride to dull the senses which the old strats offered.  Get some flying in, get some perks, maybe get bounced (part of the fun), all on a very low key run.  Late night really takes the hit I believe, as this was such a popular thing to do for people.

Take right now for instance, as I am writing this; It's almost 1am my time but I'd really love to make a strat run.  Work lurks in a handful of hours but I am not quite ready to sleep.  I'd love a low key run with a hint of the possibility of getting caught.  There was something to the strat runs of long ago.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 04:53:34 AM »
I've outlined a couple wishlist items before that integrated zones with the old individual strats, and the "mega strat" being tied into the zones for resupply.

That way we could have both, and both would be important for different reasons (i.e. a zone or front you want to bomb to help your team, or an overall bombing effort to harm the enemy production).

I think that would be best, a mix of both.

Agreed.  I would LOVE to see a mix of both.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline gpcustom

• Zinc Member
      • GPcustoms
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »
+1 for sure on this thread,
All the years I enjoyed the old strats went poof :O
I remember taking attack,fighters,GVs and just going for it knowing it would draw someone onto you :cool:
Now don't get me wrong because when the new strat system came on line I first thru a fit,even called them but I gave it a go and took a tiger to a few of them and rather enjoyed it.Fighters buzzing above looking for bombers and from time to time they would find me but it was worth the trip.Lots of bridges that could be choke points if GVs could engage,Roads and buildings to move around and a retarded amount of Flak towers...Was fun but the novelty wore off and I don't bother with them because for me they are the biggest hanger qween of the game now. :joystick:
A combination of the old with new would be a good idea if accessable form all because it would be more engaging for all!.Hell I don't remember what the trains look like anymore :O
AH,...I think you could creat something very engaging with what is now in the game and introduce a touch of old and see what kind of activity springs up from the ashes :rock
Anyhow I made my post of the year,.. :old:
See ya all on the game side
bro06562(bro)
"There is one unalterable difference between a soldier and a civilian: the civilian never does more than he is paid to do."

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »
The current strat system is  a joke so I would  love to  see this.

I couldn't agree more. There's so little to "do" if you're in bombers these days, that you're
basically relegated to dropping only FHs and towns or the always gamey "sink teh CV with
lancs", all of which I do. It's boring and it's mindless.
  It's time we got an operational or strategic aspect re-injected into the game. :D

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
Some good ideas here, I would love to see something change.

I have no plans to re-subscribe until something is done about the strat system.

I agree, Jay. The current strats do not have vitality enough to be attacked in force, unlike going after fighter hangars, bomber hangars, vehicle hangars- as in when they are ALL down, the effect is an immediate loss of the ability to launch from that location- something highly valuable for the other side to defend against happening. Strats do not possess that immediate need to attack or defend in force that cultivates a fight.

Even the HQ has somewhat more value as a target (to be attacked & defended) because of the immediate result/threat of country-wide radar shutdown when it is destroyed.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
I agree, Jay. The current strats do not have vitality enough to be attacked in force, unlike going after fighter hangars, bomber hangars, vehicle hangars- as in when they are ALL down, the effect is an immediate loss of the ability to launch from that location- something highly valuable for the other side to defend against happening. Strats do not possess that immediate need to attack or defend in force that cultivates a fight.

Even the HQ has somewhat more value as a target (to be attacked & defended) because of the immediate result/threat of country-wide radar shutdown when it is destroyed.

I miss flying in your missions.  :( They were a blast.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:11 AM »
I miss flying in your missions.  :( They were a blast.

I'm hoping to be back sometime in late January.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
I am hoping for a deeper strategic system with some railyards and a factory that affects town down times, by x-mas. :D  I remember in another thread, HiTech mentioned that he was thinking about putting in a Concrete Factory that would affect the towns in a zone, down times.  For me, it's another target to hit. :devil
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline BuckP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 05:52:37 AM »
I do recall the rail yards being brought up in the past and it is a great idea. Some combination of the new and the old would be great, especially if some fun extras came to be as well.   By x-mas would be outstanding, but my dinars aren't in that bucket.  I don't think the strat system is on the front burner, although I would surely love to be surprised!    :pray

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
If you have lots of little strats everywhere then when the front line moves past a strat score obsessed players start upping from the local airfield to bomb it with no risk of opposition.

The problem with the mega strat is that there is no reason to bomb it. HTC should either increase the effect it has on the field capture war or make it worth a lot more points for the score motivated players. A city defended by puffy AA and maybe 163s way behind enemy lines should score better in terms of points/time than a probably not defended front line airfield. A score system that does not reward difficult things over easy things is broken imo.

If you have all the strat in one place AND there is a reason for people to attack it, then players can up there to defend it with a reasonable prospect of seeing some action. If you spread it all out it only benefits milk runners.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »
If you have lots of little strats everywhere then when the front line moves past a strat score obsessed players start upping from the local airfield to bomb it with no risk of opposition.

The problem with the mega strat is that there is no reason to bomb it. HTC should either increase the effect it has on the field capture war or make it worth a lot more points for the score motivated players. A city defended by puffy AA and maybe 163s way behind enemy lines should score better in terms of points/time than a probably not defended front line airfield. A score system that does not reward difficult things over easy things is broken imo.

If you have all the strat in one place AND there is a reason for people to attack it, then players can up there to defend it with a reasonable prospect of seeing some action. If you spread it all out it only benefits milk runners.
agree that it should be worth more to hit the big strats, a lot more!!   
  I and many others also got a good bit of use out of restoring those strats via M3 or goon,  some of the best perk runs in an M3  were over 100 perks for restoring them with field supplies, the same guys that hit them  for perks and fun,, run the M3's to them to get perks and have fun.  if a strat only feeds bases in front of it, it would be the last thing to fall behind enemy lines and bombing it would harm the enemy bases in front of it, kind of a catch 22 , then it would change to an enemy strat as well and a role reversal, those that were bombing it would now need to rebuild, while those that were protecting it now need it destroyed, I thought it worked a lot like that before,, other than it only supplying certain bases regardless of affiliation?

or    ,,,simplified,, a front line strat would supply a set of bases, no matter who controlled the bases it supplied, once one side had a greater percentage of the bases supplied, the strat would belong to the side holding the greater percentage, giving both sides  reasons to protect it, as well as destroy it!

we need a vehicle spawn into each big strat city as well though to resupply,, with all the new tanks out,, there is a GV perk point shortage, at least in my hanger! :furious
Flying since tour 71.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »

If you spread it all out it only benefits milk runners.

imo spreading the strats out with a zone system benefits everyone (unless you like just having 3 big furballs). it gives the bomber guys lots more stuff to bomb, and therefore fighters also get more to do. the zone bases are much more important than the others unlike now where all the bases are pretty much equally important.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
Here was my idea from earlier this year:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291464.msg3707954.html#msg3707954

Largely a mix of the old and new system, like many here have already proposed.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.