Author Topic: Dual Core Problem in recent AH versions.  (Read 704 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dual Core Problem in recent AH versions.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »
The fastest duel core chip for socket 939 is the Athlon 64 FX-60. That was the fastest 939 socket chip ever made. The problem is that it still goes for super high prices for some reason. The average price on ebay right now is upwards of $160.00 USD. Newer AMD chips than yours use Socket AM2, AM3 and AM3+. 
:headscratch:  where did you get socket 939? he's using an athlon 64x2 4200...socket am2...should be a 2.2 ghz.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

The fastest duel core chip for socket 939 is the Athlon 64 FX-60. That was the fastest 939 socket chip ever made. The problem is that it still goes for super high prices for some reason. The average price on ebay right now is upwards of $160.00 USD. Newer AMD chips than yours use Socket AM2, AM3 and AM3+.  

Mine is a AM 2 socket and can take AM3 cpu too, the highest possible being Phenom II X6 1090T. But that is far outside of my financial limits, even though I will not be able to buy it before January. If I'm lucky I can invest 90€... if not, 60-70€ must do. Right now that would be something like a Athlon II X4 640.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:08:01 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
:headscratch:  where did you get socket 939? he's using an athlon 64x2 4200...socket am2...should be a 2.2 ghz.

They originally made the X2 4200+ as a 939 and then came out with the AM2 version later. I guess i just assumed it was the 939 one. My bad. I was confused because he said A64, which i thought he meant athlon 64 which was their old naming convention.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:21:46 PM by BigR »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
Thank you for that hint. But that has not been enabled in the first place.  (And I openly admit would have been very astonished if that would had made AH using 2 cores. ;) )

I have turned down eye candy until almost no more candy has been left, toyed around with "disable" weapon effects and so on. While some things do of course have some impact on FR, it's seems simply to be a problem of the CPU being overloaded, particularly when a lot of shooting is done. (I currently run my tests offline by gunning in a B-17, which can drop my FR to single digits.)

I may be able to upgrade my CPU next year, but I can't get away from AMD. Do newer AMD (Athlon 4, Phenom II) have similar issues?

I'm running a Phenom II 9850 BE Quad-Core.  AH Runs very well on it, however it only utilizes one core.  Gameplay is smooth though.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
Mine is a AM 2 socket and can take AM3 cpu too, the highest possible being Phenom II X6 1090T. But that is far outside of my financial limits, even though I will not be able to buy it before January. If I'm lucky I can invest 90€... if not, 60-70€ must do. Right now that would be something like a Athlon II X4 640.

Speaking from a performance per core perspective (which is what we are talking about if your main focus is playing AH on a single core), the Dual Core Athlon X2 250 is actually faster than the 600 series, and competes with the Phenom II chips. It is also much cheaper.

Check this link out : http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/x86-core-performance-comparison/benchmarks,128.html

Benchmarks can be deceptive, but when we are talking about similar chips with the same architecture, they can be a good way to compare performance.  They are going for $30-$50usd used on ebay. I have bought and sold used CPUs for years without issue. In fact, I will keep an eye out for you for AM2 and AM3 chips. I do a lot of trading in CPU parts on craigslist. If I find something that is cheap and in good shape, I will let you know.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
 I run a AMD 940 BE (AM2+ I think) quad and I do not have the problems, but also I run XP pro. Some times I do get frame rates drops, not real bad ( 30 sometimes). I also run AV and many other processes in the background.. 62, 63 processes in that area.

I also do not run the optimizer. I bought my 940 from newegg as a open box at the time, it was from 90 to 100.

Also I use 3 year old xfx 8800 gt, kingston hyperx t1 4 gig RAM.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:42 AM »
I have bought and sold used CPUs for years without issue. In fact, I will keep an eye out for you for AM2 and AM3 chips. I do a lot of trading in CPU parts on craigslist. If I find something that is cheap and in good shape, I will let you know.

Thanks for the offer, but I think it's much easier and convenient for me to shop locally here in Germany. A bit too much of a hassle to order such an item internationally ;)
I will use the appropriate Hardware forum for further discussion of that matter.

Thanks for all responding  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman