Author Topic: My Impressions So far....LOOONG  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: My Impressions So far....LOOONG
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
I'm not changing the brakes. Just putting the tires and/or wheels on. Brembo and V6 perf package cars come with P Zero performance tires. Mine has P Zero Nero all seasons. I want the rubber not the brakes for my application.

Golfer.....when you decide to purchase new wheels ask about the clearance needed for the calipers.

I purchased mine at speedlogix.com.  Very good price (american racing wheels).  They are very helpful and answered my

offset question stating I'd have no problem clearing the calipers.  I'd be leary of purchasing anything used etc. of EBay

etc.  They're looking to sell quick with no guarantee they'll take them back if they don't clear the calipers.

Just a thought.  Also check about TPMs (used the ones I had) and lug nuts.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:49:13 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »
how do those same cars handle "as driven" though. i'll be running mine as driven, not on special tires.....

They are working to get the best time possible so they run those on the weekends and switch back during the week. Some leave them on for awhile whenever they change them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
Went out to Atco today for T&T. 20 passes over my 4-1/2 hours in attendance. New PB of 14.17@99.41. Next fastest was 14.18@100.60.

Trapped 100+mph on 4 passes.

Somewhere within this car in stock configuration lives a 13 second pass but I can't seem to find it.  All in all not too bad for the slowest possible Mustang you can get new from the factory. (Heavy convertible body, v6, 2.73 gears, street tires and my rookie driving skillz)

So few cars were out it was basically a rental with a $20 buy in. $1/pass for today :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:53:07 PM by Golfer »

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »
which means that it flat out embarrasses those old 455's

Ford and Chevy...just different flavors of awesome
a old 455 you can work on with out a phd in computers. thats why cars that run low 10 to high 9's use old modifed 455s
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
a old 455 you can work on with out a phd in computers. thats why cars that run low 10 to high 9's use old modifed 455s

you mean that the mopars were modified 455's? or the ford cammers? or the big block chevys?

my camaro did 9.96 at 131 on a truck 454. but then you and i are both going away from stock now. stock to stock.......my quoted statement stands.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
Went out to Atco today for T&T. 20 passes over my 4-1/2 hours in attendance. New PB of 14.17@99.41. Next fastest was 14.18@100.60.

Trapped 100+mph on 4 passes.

Somewhere within this car in stock configuration lives a 13 second pass but I can't seem to find it.  All in all not too bad for the slowest possible Mustang you can get new from the factory. (Heavy convertible body, v6, 2.73 gears, street tires and my rookie driving skillz)

So few cars were out it was basically a rental with a $20 buy in. $1/pass for today :)

dood!!!!   congrats on those passes!!!! that's pretty darned good for a 3800 pound 6 banger!! in fact, you're now officially quicker in the 1/4 than about 95% of the hot rods of yesteryear. and you're getting better reliability, driveability, and mileage too.  :aok
 there is absolutely a 13.9 in that car somewhere. you're guaranteed 13's with a pair of drag radials.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

I think I'm going to order a print of this for my workshop.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I think I'm going to order a print of this for my workshop.

is it me, or can you actually see that rear tire wrinkling a little?

that's a great pic dood......... :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
beautiful Golfer
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »
is it me, or can you actually see that rear tire wrinkling a little?

that's a great pic dood......... :aok

It is you lol. The short stiff sidewalls on the latest street tires will not wrinkle. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
It is you lol. The short stiff sidewalls on the latest street tires will not wrinkle. :)

i believe his car only has 18 inch wheels.......not a very shallow side wall.......but you're still probably right though.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
It's a little wrinkle. They're 235/50/18s and I was down to 20psi for those passes. Pissed off the TPMS but it helped on the launch. Any lower and I'd think they'd start cupping.

Not like I'm running drag radials at 17 psi.

Come spring I'll make a few passes with my coworkers drag pack in the name of science. I bet with skinnies, drag radials and good air I'd be dangerously close to 13.50. I could be there with an intake and a tune alone but damn I want to hit 13s stock. I guess my only chance will be some nice weather in February or March before I swap out the driveshaft for the road course.

Though the track will be open this weekend too...hmm...

Cap when are you getting your slacker butt off the chair and into the seat?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
It's a little wrinkle. They're 235/50/18s and I was down to 20psi for those passes. Pissed off the TPMS but it helped on the launch. Any lower and I'd think they'd start cupping.

Not like I'm running drag radials at 17 psi.

Come spring I'll make a few passes with my coworkers drag pack in the name of science. I bet with skinnies, drag radials and good air I'd be dangerously close to 13.50. I could be there with an intake and a tune alone but damn I want to hit 13s stock. I guess my only chance will be some nice weather in February or March before I swap out the driveshaft for the road course.

Though the track will be open this weekend too...hmm...

Cap when are you getting your slacker butt off the chair and into the seat?

soooooon. i've "accidentally" let her up to 6500rpm, and she was still pulling. i'm gonna have trouble with these tires though, as the way she sits, if i get anywhere near half throttle in 1st or 2nd, she starts to break em loose. each time that's happened so far, i've backed off before the traction control's had a chance to do anything.

i'm itching for a lap or ten at milleville though..........by then, i'll have the boss302 lower fascia installed, and brake cooling ducts to the rotors installed.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »
soooooon. i've "accidentally" let her up to 6500rpm, and she was still pulling. i'm gonna have trouble with these tires though, as the way she sits, if i get anywhere near half throttle in 1st or 2nd, she starts to break em loose. each time that's happened so far, i've backed off before the traction control's had a chance to do anything.

I've been super disappointed with my G8's OEM goodyear RS-As...  They're fairly expensive all-season tires, but they are absolutely horrible when the street is even slightly damp, and the one time I tried to drive it in the snow I got stuck at the end of my driveway.  My firebird did just fine on that tire model, but maybe they changed it in the last 10 years because my G8 is all over the place with the OEM tires and when it's wet the tires slip from almost every stop unless I let it idle forward a bit before gently nudging the gas pedal.

My point is that if you're on OEM tires, you might not be really happy until you buy yer baby some new shoes.

I did really like my F1-GS-D3 goodyears on my firebird...  http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/goodyear-eagle-f1-gs-d3-page-12

But they may be discontinued, which sucks because I was considering a set for my G8.  I'm torn between an aggressive summer/rain tire and a really good set of all-season tires.  The F1 GS D3 tires were actually WORSE than my race tires when there was even a hint of snow/ice.  Downright dangerous in fact.  But on dry or wet pavement, even with standing water, they were awesome.

Edit - on further review, I think I will probably put these on the G8, Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position:  

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE970AS+Pole+Position&partnum=445WR8RE970PPXL&autoMake=Pontiac&autoYear=2009&autoModel=G8 GT&autoModClar=&tab=Reviews

Sorry for the long link...

The Goodyear F1 GS D3s aren't made in the right size for my car, and I put the previous model RE960AS on my wife's car and they handle great, with the slight exception of very minor but noticeable flat-spotting when parked for a few days in cold weather.  Pontiac only put 245 series tires on the G8 and although a lot of folks are swapping in cadillac CTS-V tires (with custom hub emblems) to get a wider footprint, I'm not going to spend that kind of money on my car right now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:58:11 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

That is a little wrinkle.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC