Author Topic: My Impressions So far....LOOONG  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: My Impressions So far....LOOONG
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
i believe his car only has 18 inch wheels.......not a very shallow side wall.......but you're still probably right though.

(Image removed from quote.)

Those are much taller sidewall with maybe 15 psi. Possibly drag radials.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »
I've been super disappointed with my G8's OEM goodyear RS-As...  They're fairly expensive all-season tires, but they are absolutely horrible when the street is even slightly damp, and the one time I tried to drive it in the snow I got stuck at the end of my driveway.  My firebird did just fine on that tire model, but maybe they changed it in the last 10 years because my G8 is all over the place with the OEM tires and when it's wet the tires slip from almost every stop unless I let it idle forward a bit before gently nudging the gas pedal.

My point is that if you're on OEM tires, you might not be really happy until you buy yer baby some new shoes.

I did really like my F1-GS-D3 goodyears on my firebird...  http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/goodyear-eagle-f1-gs-d3-page-12

But they may be discontinued, which sucks because I was considering a set for my G8.  I'm torn between an aggressive summer/rain tire and a really good set of all-season tires.  The F1 GS D3 tires were actually WORSE than my race tires when there was even a hint of snow/ice.  Downright dangerous in fact.  But on dry or wet pavement, even with standing water, they were awesome.

Edit - on further review, I think I will probably put these on the G8, Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position:  

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE970AS+Pole+Position&partnum=445WR8RE970PPXL&autoMake=Pontiac&autoYear=2009&autoModel=G8 GT&autoModClar=&tab=Reviews

Sorry for the long link...

The Goodyear F1 GS D3s aren't made in the right size for my car, and I put the previous model RE960AS on my wife's car and they handle great, with the slight exception of very minor but noticeable flat-spotting when parked for a few days in cold weather.  Pontiac only put 245 series tires on the G8 and although a lot of folks are swapping in cadillac CTS-V tires (with custom hub emblems) to get a wider footprint, I'm not going to spend that kind of money on my car right now.

THAT'S  a pretty good bit of info. thanks!! i've been considering finding something else to drag on, soley due to the fact that the p-zeros on my car are in the ballpark of $350 or so a pop.
 with the excpetion of the eagle gt plus4, i've never cared for any goodyear tires./
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
Those are much taller sidewall with maybe 15 psi. Possibly drag radials.

the pic i put up? those are bfgoodrich drag radials. i drove on them nearly all the time, unless i felt like carving some corners......they were around 18psi on that run. i lowered them after it, as if you look, you'll note the wheelspin.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
wrinkle?

Well .. first ya gotta get em HOT:

..so they stick.

Then ya gotta launch at optimal rpm so the car will use all available traction without spinning:

Those were 29" dia x 12" wide wrinkle walls ..worked excellent at 10 lbs pressure with my 'bracket race' setup: 3.91's in the back, 10" converter, 6-pac 440 using the 6-pac intake.
When I switched to tunnel ram, 4.89's, and 8" converter I had to go up to 31" x 13" slicks to hook it. Started yankin the front wheels a bit if the track an air was good.

Dropped from mid 12's to mid 11's at LACR (3500' alt) ..ran 10.27 at Pomona (sea level and much better air) ..long ago.

-Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE