Author Topic: Douglas A-26 Invader  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Douglas A-26 Invader
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
What makes it perkable?  It is slower than a mossie and carries a similar load to the A20.  It is likely less agile than an A20, I won't know till I try one out.  The last one I flew was back in AW.
The Mossie is a fighter, not an attack aircraft, and carries far less than the A-20 let alone the A-26.  The A-26 is faster than the A-20 and carries half again, or more, than the A-20.  Its comparative lack of agility is irrelevant as it is an attack aircraft, not a fighter.  The reason it will be perked is that it would be too dominant in its role if it were free.  It is likely to be the bottom end perk bomber with a cost of 5-10 or so perks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
The Mossie is a fighter, not an attack aircraft, and carries far less than the A-20 let alone the A-26.  The A-26 is faster than the A-20 and carries half again, or more, than the A-20.  Its comparative lack of agility is irrelevant as it is an attack aircraft, not a fighter.  The reason it will be perked is that it would be too dominant in its role if it were free.  It is likely to be the bottom end perk bomber with a cost of 5-10 or so perks.

*gasp*   Did you just call the most versatile aircraft in WWII a lowly "fighter"??? Say it isnt so!!!  :eek:

I'd beg to differ that the Mossi FB Mk IV was indeed more of an attack aircraft than any other role it could have and did perform.   ;)   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »

Well, on an A-26b (Early) it carried 6x 50s in the nose, A-26B carried 8x 50s in the nose.
Optional Gun packages are this:
2x .50 cals and a 75mm Cannon
4x .50 cals and a 37mm cannon
2x .50 cals and a 37mm cannon
75mm cannon and a 37mm cannon
2x 37mm cannons

The Gun pods under the wings now, carry 4x .50 cals under the wings, however late production A-26B's carried 3x .50cals per wing (removes the gunpods which degraded performance)

Top that with 6,000lbs of Ords and from 16x to 18 .50cal machine guns.

There are glass nose B-26s used for level bombing, you simply lose the nose mounted and gain the wing mounted machine guns for forward armament.

So in retrospect, it will easily be perked, most likely something between 20 and 50 perks.
From what I see, A-26s served in action during Battle of the Bulge, the Pacific and Italy.

Pacific service - it was in the philippines, pretty late action, overall I can say it served quite a few full squadrons in combat action.
JG 52

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
None of the operational A-26 units ever used cannon mounted gun packages, all were .50 cal guns.  Late model A-26s still used gun pods, especially when they were finally cleared to start up low level attack missions.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
None of the operational A-26 units ever used cannon mounted gun packages, all were .50 cal guns.  Late model A-26s still used gun pods, especially when they were finally cleared to start up low level attack missions.

ack-ack

I think it was because the earliest versions used the glass nose right? I figured the cannons were either prototype versions or added after war.
Sorry didn't get a chance to run down on the information, would of left the cannon versions out heh.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
Did the A-26 serve in the Pacific?  I understood that some were sent there for operational testing, but were rejected as unsuitable due to the poor cockpit view to the sides.  The engine nacelles actually blocked the ability to look straight left and right, which wasn't acceptable for formation flying at the altitudes the A-20s were being used at.

*gasp*   Did you just call the most versatile aircraft in WWII a lowly "fighter"??? Say it isnt so!!!  :eek:

I'd beg to differ that the Mossi FB Mk IV was indeed more of an attack aircraft than any other role it could have and did perform.   ;)   
The FB.Mk VI is a fighter, though with strong attack aircraft traits.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:04:03 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Did the A-26 serve in the Pacific?  I understood that some were sent there for operational testing, but were rejected as unsuitable due to the poor cockpit view to the sides.  The engine nacelles actually blocked the ability to look straight left and right, which wasn't acceptable for formation flying at the altitudes the A-20s were being used at.
The FB.Mk VI is a fighter, though with strong attack aircraft traits.

They did have a pretty poor showing in the Pacific early on, but it re-equip the 3rd BG sometime in the Summer of 45 in the Philippines, they were later model A-26Bs fitted with 8 guns in the nose and 8x 50s in the wings, also you are correct - they received new Clamshell canopies for improved visability.

However - question remains how much combat action did it see, this particular group did not go into full combat action before the war ended.

The 319th BG, flew Marauders in the Italy campaign, switched to the same late A-26s and arrived on Okinawa in July/45 and flew combat missions off China and Japan - however the war was ended a few weeks later.

From what I am just skimming over, the A-26 served extremely limited or no capacity in the pacific before the war ended.
One of the biggest reasons for this, George Kennedy of the 5th Airforce, had no interest in exchanging any of his aircraft out with the A-26.

JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »
Oh yes, the A-26 certainly saw combat.  No questions about it being a valid addition to AH.  I just am not sure if it saw combat anywhere other than Europe.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
The 319th completed 20 missions with A-26s.  The 3rd definitely saw combat with there's too, though I don't know specific numbers.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »
They removed the cannon because it had a tendency to jam.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
They removed the cannon because it had a tendency to jam.

Semp

None of the A-26s were produced with the cannon package, it was only on paper.

ack-ack

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
The prototype did have one, but didn't work out. That's how they started trying to figure out several combinations including 37mm.   Before sticking to mgs,  lots of them.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
40-50 perks.  Why bother adding anything non-revolutionary at that price. At 50 perks you equal the plane to the 163. Seems a bit high.  I don't see a plane that is slower than a mosquito and carrying a similar armament to an a20 being perked. 

And..... It is one sexy plane.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
40-50 perks.  Why bother adding anything non-revolutionary at that price. At 50 perks you equal the plane to the 163. Seems a bit high.  I don't see a plane that is slower than a mosquito and carrying a similar armament to an a20 being perked. 

The A-26 can do the job of the B-26 and the A-20.  It was intended to replace both planes in the medium bombing and low level attack roles.

ack-ack

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

It will need to be perked unless you want the arena to be swamped with them and to see A-20s disappear.  I don't think it will be 50 perks, I think it will be 5 to 10 perks and be the lowest end perk bomber.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-