Author Topic: Surround sound tests  (Read 4265 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Surround sound tests
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »
challenge is correct on the headphones i can make a pair of ipod ear buds sound like your 100$ turtle beaches or Triton's or shock 1's reason? because even with on board sound there is a thing called "3d sound" not surround buts its better IMHO than 5.1 headsets (good proper 5.1 wins anyday) it is able to do infinite amount of channels because it basically using knowledge of how human hearing works and recreates it. again this can be dont with 99cent ipod ear buds.

headphones are all the same if your using 3d surround. be it 200$ to 99cents.

This from a guy who can't get stereo <-- please note the spelling, to work with out crashing his computer http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,327825.msg4295480.html#msg4295480

You go on pretending your sound is awesome, and I'll continue listening to my sound that I KNOW is awesome.

Carry on little one. :salute

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »
This from a guy who can't get stereo <-- please note the spelling, to work with out crashing his computer http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,327825.msg4295480.html#msg4295480

You go on pretending your sound is awesome, and I'll continue listening to my sound that I KNOW is awesome.

Carry on little one. :salute
no mabey if you could ya know read? i said that the game only uses mono sounds. and 2 channels may crash the game or cause shutters. but reading is to hard i know.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 12:51:05 AM »

I wouldn't have any aspirations on becoming an audio hardware reviewer if I were you :)

There are infinitely large differences between headphones as are with regular speakers. They're the determining factor on sound quality.

3d surround is just a poor gimmick that will do nothing to make the sound quality better.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
The sounds are mono because they come from single sources.

Currently, you can easily find the direction of source of the sound with Aces High's usage of volume levels of the stereo output.

It would take a bit of work to make the game output 4 or more discreet channels but that is what it would take.

No amount of delay and reverb effects will ever create true surround.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:35:34 AM by icepac »

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
I wouldn't have any aspirations on becoming an audio hardware reviewer if I were you :)

There are infinitely large differences between headphones as are with regular speakers. They're the determining factor on sound quality.

3d surround is just a poor gimmick that will do nothing to make the sound quality better.
3d sound is a money saver. sure a 200$ pare of headphones will SOUND better than 99 cent ones but you can still get the same surround sound for both.

say 3d sound aint good? put any pair of headphones on and wacth this (note only uses 2 channel sound) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:52:00 AM by olds442 »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
say 3d sound aint good? put any pair of headphones on and wacth this (note only uses 2 channel sound) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI
It is very easy to record that kind of a 3D audio clip. They once made a study about it. All you need is two microphones and three little pieces of board put together so that one piece forms a bottom, another a wall and the third divides the thing in two halves. The backwall works as earflaps, the bottom simulates sinuses and the divider is like the nose. The microphones are set along the back seam towards the earflaps. That design appeared to be close enough like a human head and its effect in 3D hearing.

Making single sounds move in a virtual space creating the illusion of distance and direction takes lots of calculating power and coding skills. The distance can be simulated by volume variables, but the direction might be easier to demonstrate with more than two speakers surrounding your head. Logically thinking, that is. I know nothing about sound processing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
challenge is correct on the headphones i can make a pair of ipod ear buds sound like your 100$ turtle beaches or Triton's or shock 1's reason? because even with on board sound there is a thing called "3d sound" not surround buts its better IMHO than 5.1 headsets (good proper 5.1 wins anyday) it is able to do infinite amount of channels because it basically using knowledge of how human hearing works and recreates it. again this can be dont with 99cent ipod ear buds.

Quoted for rubbish
no mabey if you could ya know read? i said that the game only uses mono sounds. and 2 channels may crash the game or cause shutters. but reading is to hard i know.
Quoted for rubbish
3d sound is a money saver. sure a 200$ pare of headphones will SOUND better than 99 cent ones but you can still get the same surround sound for both.

Really? My goodness **FACEPALM** more rubbish

Its up too the guys here playing and stating what they hear is incredible for the price. Most of the aces high populous cant afford to splurge on audio equipment as they have more important real life things to pay for. Fugi`s setup is the "Best Bang" for the lowest Price Pipz is also using this setup and has same out come.

Stereo Headphones vs Multi speaker surround sound headphones are like comparing apples to oranges 

TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
No its comparing one speaker less than an inch from your ear to three speakers less than an inch from your ear. There isnt enough seperation to get 5.1 out of them. Its a gimmick. Its just another case of people convincing themselves that good headphones are better than they really are. Its like washing your car and all of the sudden it performs better.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »
Its like washing your car and all of the sudden it performs better.
Doesn't it? Does all that wax make it slide through the air molecules slicker, or are the dust particles making a golf ball effect, the vortices caused by anomalies of the surface diminishing drag? - Was that English or Gibberish?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
Doesn't it? Does all that wax make it slide through the air molecules slicker, or are the dust particles making a golf ball effect, the vortices caused by anomalies of the surface diminishing drag? - Was that English or Gibberish?

In theory a waxed car would be faster  :cheers:
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
Grasping at straws boys!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »
In theory a waxed car would be faster  :cheers:

a waxed care also saves gas  :cheers:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:05 PM »
Quoted for rubbishQuoted for rubbishReally? My goodness **FACEPALM** more rubbish

Its up too the guys here playing and stating what they hear is incredible for the price. Most of the aces high populous cant afford to splurge on audio equipment as they have more important real life things to pay for. Fugi`s setup is the "Best Bang" for the lowest Price Pipz is also using this setup and has same out come.

Stereo Headphones vs Multi speaker surround sound headphones are like comparing apples to oranges 

besides saying just rubbish say what makes it rubbish oh right you dont know.

normal headphones (With good speacker range) 30$. knowing how to use a computer and ears is really all you need

end cost= 30$ surround sound scale to 1-10= 6-8

turtle beach, trition, or astro "gaming hedsets" 80$-150$. sound card that has atleast 5.1 30-150$

end cost=100$-300$ surround sound scale to 1-10=4-8

high end surround sound system 600$-1500$. high end sound card - 110-150$

end cost=710-1650$ surround sound scale to 1-10=9-10

i like my hi end surround but 3d surround is up to par.
no need to get mad because your 150$ headset sounds the same as some 30$ ones

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2012, 01:21:14 AM »
No its comparing one speaker less than an inch from your ear to three speakers less than an inch from your ear. There isnt enough seperation to get 5.1 out of them. Its a gimmick. Its just another case of people convincing themselves that good headphones are better than they really are. Its like washing your car and all of the sudden it performs better.

Chalenge, when I run the Windows configuration utility on my Turtle Beach HPA headset, I can tell the difference between left, right, center, left rear, and right rear.  Obviously, it is not as good as well-placed full-sized speakers (I have that on the tv/music home entertainment setup in the livingroom), but the HPA headset sounds a lot better to me than the old plain stereo headset I had before.  *shrug*  Maybe, as you suggest, it's merely a really, really good placebo effect.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
besides saying just rubbish say what makes it rubbish oh right you dont know.

normal headphones (With good speacker range) 30$. knowing how to use a computer and ears is really all you need

end cost= 30$ surround sound scale to 1-10= 6-8

turtle beach, trition, or astro "gaming hedsets" 80$-150$. sound card that has atleast 5.1 30-150$

end cost=100$-300$ surround sound scale to 1-10=4-8

high end surround sound system 600$-1500$. high end sound card - 110-150$

end cost=710-1650$ surround sound scale to 1-10=9-10

i like my hi end surround but 3d surround is up to par.
no need to get mad because your 150$ headset sounds the same as some 30$ ones

just curious about this because my g35 just broke.  they're being held by duck tape and wood tong depressors as an emergency.  I have a good set of 50 dollar headset in the closet.  was wondering how can i get those to simulate surround sound.  i have a 7.1 on board plus a xfi extreme gamer sound card.  perhaps you could write briefly and tell me how to set it up so I can hear airplanes moving around just like they do with my g35.  who knows maybe i can write a report and help other guys avoid wasting money and spend it on better vc's instead.  I am being serious too.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.