Author Topic: Randomness of the Tater  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Randomness of the Tater
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »
Source, bitte?

"JG26," by Donald Caldwell, gives an account of this.  I don't have my copy here, will try to remember to get it.  I'm not sure that the German's awarded more points for breaking a bomber out of formation than they did for shooting it down, but they did award points for both.

- oldman

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »
There are many online sources available, just google "Luftwaffe scoring system" or similar.

For a four-engined bomber a German pilot could get a total of 3 points. 2 points for Herrausschuss (forcing a bomber to break formation) and a single point for Entgültige Vernichtung (final destruction). If a pilot shot down a bomber while it was still in formation he would be awarded all three points.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »
"JG26," by Donald Caldwell, gives an account of this.  I don't have my copy here, will try to remember to get it.  I'm not sure that the German's awarded more points for breaking a bomber out of formation than they did for shooting it down, but they did award points for both.

- oldman

I have that, too.  I'll check about them getting more points for breaking formation.

There are many online sources available, just google "Luftwaffe scoring system" or similar.

For a four-engined bomber a German pilot could get a total of 3 points. 2 points for Herrausschuss (forcing a bomber to break formation) and a single point for Entgültige Vernichtung (final destruction). If a pilot shot down a bomber while it was still in formation he would be awarded all three points.

If you are trying to make a point, the burden of proof lies upon you if asked for it.  I can imagine going into a courtroom as a prosecutor "Just Google it,  Your Honor!"

:rofl
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
I wasn't aware that this was a courtroom, and you a judge.
It isn't, and you're not. No burden of proof lies on me.

I'm not going to waste any time looking up sources for a jerk on some internet forum. Find your own sources.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »

I'm not going to waste any time looking up sources for a jerk on some internet forum. Find your own sources.

When making any claims, reports or otherwise, when trying to prove a point, there are usually sources cited at the end, such as a Bibliography.  Wiki cites sources, also.

I made no claims of either situation, it was just an example.  Regardless if it was a courtroom or not, it is up to the person making claims to prove their viewpoint with facts.  It is considered proper form and a courtesy.

Neither was I being an "internet jerk", just in case you missed the laughing smiley.  If I was being a jerk, you would be fully aware of the fact as I would be completely overt about it or even outright state that I was being a jerk.

Base name-calling, as in your example above, is being an "internet jerk".  However, since you have chosen to use those tactics, you have revealed the true depth and scope of your intellect, as well as, the character of your person.
(psst: That was me being an "internet jerk")

Carry On  :salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:33 AM »

The original claim that pilots were awarded more points for breaking up a formation than for shooting down a plane is, on its face, somewhat startling, and it shouldn't surprise you that people would like to see some support for it.  VonMessa's response may have been colorful, but it was hardly rude enough to warrant this response.  One of the ways we all gain new knowledge in these forums is by reading (or in some cases seeing) the evidence behind posters' postings.

- oldman

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
Maybe I was a bit harsh, but the information is readily available and what I consider common knowledge for anyone who has an interest for the Luftwaffe and defense of the Reich in particular. The system was only in effect against the allies on the western front facing daylight raids. On the eastern front they had a simpler system based on victories alone. In the west 3 points would get you an iron cross 1st class. 40 points would net you a nice shiny knights cross.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=luftwaffe+score+system

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

This point-decoration system was used only on the Western Front, because the Germans believed it was easier to shoot down Soviet fighters and bombers than to down Western-flown aircraft.

Source: http://rhorta.home.xs4all.nl/jgscor.htm

Sorry I took so long, I had to go grab lunch  :aok

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
Sorry if I was a bit sore there VonMessa. I'm not having a particularly great day.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
Sorry if I was a bit sore there VonMessa. I'm not having a particularly great day.

Apology accepted  :aok

Have a better day. :x

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
These whizzing matches are only going to get better if the 410 with the dual MK103 in the nose is introduced. Same Minengeschoss round but, 360 M/sec faster. A 30mm that shoots like a MG151/20. I can see the arguments.

My tater won't kill anything.
Which tater?
The tater.
Which airplane?
The tater ariplane.
Which tater airplane?
The one that shoots taters.
Flat or lobs taters.
I don't know it shoots taters.
Are you insulting me?
No, my taters won't kill anything.

And another 10 years will loop on by...........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.