Author Topic: Lack of Interest in Japanese avation  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
Re: Lack of Interest in Japanese avation
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
Ive grown very fond of the KI-84. Besides the KI-67 bomber its the only rising sun plane Ive really gotten into.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
Couldn't agree more with the original post on this thread. However my biggest complaint again planesets and new planes. Is that HT should of completed the conversion of all AH1 aircraft to AH2 spec as it's highest priority over introducing any new planes or GV's, let alone the development time spent (wasted) on the WW1 theatre.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
I find their special effects a bit challenged. I just watched Godzilla vs Megalon.   :bhead
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
Ive grown very fond of the KI-84. Besides the KI-67 bomber its the only rising sun plane Ive really gotten into.

Thanks to INK's skin the Ki-84 is the only plane i've really been flying, and been avoiding Ground vehicles all together.
JG 52

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »
Thanks to INK's skin the Ki-84 is the only plane i've really been flying, and been avoiding Ground vehicles all together.

Does it have tats :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
Couldn't agree more with the original post on this thread. However my biggest complaint again planesets and new planes. Is that HT should of completed the conversion of all AH1 aircraft to AH2 spec as it's highest priority over introducing any new planes or GV's, let alone the development time spent (wasted) on the WW1 theatre.

<S>...-Gixer

To be fair, most of this has been done by now. All we have left that needs to be revised:

wildcats
hurricanes
110s
ju88
b26
lanc
d3a
b5n
A20s
SBD
TBM
Ki61
Ar234
Me163
Yaks
C2s

So out of 100 or so the majority have been updated. About 23 left to do.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
Ki-67 as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
Does it have tats :)
Right on the tail :aok

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
late war japanese planes will be available in the AVA this week. come and play. bring a friend!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »

To be fair, most of this has been done by now. All we have left that needs to be revised:

wildcats
hurricanes
110s
ju88
b26
lanc
d3a
b5n
A20s
SBD
TBM
Ki61
Ar234
Me163
Yaks
C2s

So out of 100 or so the majority have been updated. About 23 left to do.

Tempest missing.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

Thanx man :salute

2 more ingame as of today....51B and P40E :rock

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »
Their ambitions were no worse the our's. 

Please do not misunderstand me, DURING the war the Japanese did many many horrible things to captured people.  Their conduct during the War was awful.  Nothing excuses this, but the reasons that the war started in the first place has little to do with their conduct during the war, or their surprise attacks. 

Maybe I'm misremembering here, but I'm pretty sure the Nanjing Massacre was a good bit before poor lil' set upon Japan was "forced" into attacking every other power in the region.

And it wasn't just captured enemies. Thailand was a Japanese ally and yet tens of thousands of Thais were worked to death along with Allied POWs and civilians from subjugated countries. The Japanese had been treating Koreans the same way for decades. Their empire was savage and brutal even compared to the worst excesses of European colonialists.

The Japanese government of the day was no better than the Nazis, and in many ways worse. They were hyperviolent, routinely assassinating anyone who dissented from their lust for conquest. One reason Yamamoto was given command of the Combined Fleet was to give him a seagoing command and get him out of Tokyo because the Navy leadership understood that if he stayed in the capital he was certain to be assassinated for opposing the Army's warmongering (on pragmatic, not ethical, grounds). Think about it, this was the guy who was chiefly responsible for the attack on Pearl Harbor, and his own government was going to murder him for being too pacifist! And this cult of aggressive war and rule by assassination went well back into the preceding decades, long before the US or anyone else imposed sanctions on Japan. The government was hanging Buddhist priests in 1911 for opposing the government's militarism (among other things) - Google Uchiyama Gudō sometime.

The Roosevelt administration was generally anti-colonial and the US had already committed to freeing the Philippines, its only significant colony in the Pacific. The reasons it rightly resisted Japanese aggression were, in no particular order, (1) Desire to prevent a Pacific distraction from the all-important task of defeating Hitlerism in Europe, (2) The many, many routine and well-documented atrocities carried out by the Japanese in China without the slightest shred of justification, and (3) Desire not to see a European hegemony in Asia that was plainly (to anyone but the colonial powers) on its eventual way out replaced by Japanese hegemony that was orders of magnitude more brutal and potentially much longer-lasting. I don't see how anyone could take issue with any of these motives.

The Allies in Asia and the PTO were not always in the right, but that doesn't mean that Japan was not always in the wrong. The Russian government was pretty nasty too, but that didn't excuse Hitler for unilaterally launching a war of pure aggression and extermination against the people unfortunate enough to live in the USSR. Japanese people weren't inherently bad any more than German people were, but their government in 1941 was absolutely atrocious and didn't need arm-twisting from anyone to launch aggressive wars against anyone who had stood in the way of anything they wanted.

Of course, this doesn't have much to do with the lack of interest in Japanese warplanes. For most aviation buffs planes aren't political. But I wouldn't confuse lack of interest in early war deathtraps with lack of interest in Japanese planes generally. I love flying (in-game) and reading about WW2 Japanese planes, and planes like the Ki-67, Ki-84, and N1K2 are valuable additions to the plane set, but the Ki-43 would be nothing but a target in the MA, it has absolutely no virtues to recommend it. It's a bamboo and rice paper tinderbox whose pathetic armament alone would make it nothing but cannon fodder against anything other than Zekes or other Oscars. Just look at the G4M - how often do you see those anywhere except perk farming in deserted arenas? Why on earth would anyone fly one in the MA except as a joke?

There's also the romance factor. Most other nations made a cult of their own aces and as a result people tend to know a lot more about them. For their own political/psychological reasons, the Japanese government didn't do this; it much preferred making a cult of servicemen who died. People want to fly the planes flown by the great aces they've read so much about, less so the planes mostly famous (at least after the first year of the war) mostly for being shot down in record numbers.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
Oh, and I'd definitely have voted for a Ki-44 over the 410. However, if you're looking at history, I don't think the Ki-44 could be said to have had a major impact on the outcome of the war. That's another problem with the Japanese plane set, by the time their better designs started appearing, they weren't able to manufacture many of them, their quality control was horrendous, and most of their pilots were nearly untrained novices, so the planes didn't have much impact.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
The Russian government was pretty nasty too, but that didn't excuse Hitler for unilaterally launching a war of pure aggression and extermination against the people unfortunate enough to live in the USSR

You probably already know this, but some readers here might not.  I would say that the Soviets were extremely nasty.  They killed more than 10 million of their own people, killed more in their concentration camps than the Nazis did, signed an agreement with the Nazis prior to the start of WWII to conquer Europe and to divide it between them, and started WWII in Europe along with Germany by co-invading Poland and quickly thereafter invading Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Romania.  When the Soviets conquered a region, they typically engaged in large-scale slaughter among the civilian population and, after that, relocated segments of the population to concentration/death camps.

An marvelous book on WWII covering the USSR's full contribution (which is not typically done in western books on WWII) is "No Simple Victory," by Davies.

War between Germany and the USSR was likely inevitable, but if Germany hadn't invaded the USSR and if the USSR had thus stayed a partner of the Nazis, the allies would have found themselves fighting against Germany, Japan, Italy, *and* the USSR, and the course of history would have been a great deal different.

In fact, given that 80% or more of WWII in Europe was between Germany and the USSR (as measured by land area, size of battles, number of troops involved, number of casualties, number of tanks, or number of guns or any mixture of those), if Germany and the USSR had instead remained on the same side, the allies probably would not have been able to stop Germany and the USSR from taking and holding all of Europe (and perhaps more after that).

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
Bah ... don't worry about the runners .. they aren't worth the fight anyway...just fodder .... the ones that stick around is all that matters .... BnZer's are painful ... but they eventually leave cause they can't deal with the frustration of missing or slow down too much and die hahaha .....
So... you're suggesting a BNZ plane should stick around... and turn fight??   :rolleyes:
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher