Author Topic: Pilot and Co-Pilot are incompacitated....  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Pilot and Co-Pilot are incompacitated....
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
Oh yeah, and which one will know how to handle the rapid decompression?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
This hit me while reading another thread regarding rudder pedals. It went as follows.....

Which begs the question..... your on a plane and the pilot and co-pilot are incapacitated. You have a choice among three gamers to take the controls. One experienced in AH, one in M$FS, and one in IL2...... which would you choose?

Anyone but those three. They all think they already know how to do it, the guy on the radio will have a far better of talking down someone who has never done it before and truly understands the fact that they are going to die, for real.

And if no one on radio to talk them down, I still choose any but them. Can you imagine the complaints at the pearly gates of the crap FM, stoopid stick stirring, and all other line of complaints when one of them augers it?

bob

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
Oh yeah, and which one will know how to handle the rapid decompression?

I'll take the one with the longest useful consciousness time at x altitude.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
lol, no they don;t.  The spitfire flight model and engine management have nothing to do with a 747.  I would however select the AH BBS poster to land me since AH people seem to be experts in everything from global economics to brain surgery, so they could probably fly a 747 no problem.

You should try to be less negative in some of your posts. Life is hard sometimes.. you'll pull through is you try to keep your spirits up. Your self desciption is dead on though.

They all do have their plusses.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
depends on the weather and time of day, if it's night time the AHer is done for.  Microsoft guy would be best bet.
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
is there a jewish, a catholic priest and a french man on board?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
Modern airliners don't need to be landed manually in that type of situation.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
You should try to be less negative in some of your posts. Life is hard sometimes.. you'll pull through is you try to keep your spirits up. Your self desciption is dead on though.

They all do have their plusses.

Bah, the only negative about my post was your inability to see that it was funny.  Don't bring your feelings from other threads in this one.  Follow your advice and maybe you will see the joke in my post.  Go kick a homeless person to make yourself feel better now  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Modern airliners don't need to be landed manually in that type of situation.

How would that be accomplished otherwise?

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
Totally depends on the aircraft and airport.

If it's a newer airliner with an automatic landing system, coming to an airport with a CAT III ILS.  Well then a child could do it.  Tower would just have to tell them which switches to flip to which knobs to fiddle and the plane would land itself.

Even short of that, I don't think it would be that difficult in fair weather, for the tower to talk even a complete rookie through it.  They'd just leave it on autopilot down to minimum, then they'd only have to fly it the last 200 or 100 feet.  Find an experienced pilot in the aircraft type in the tower, and they could talk them down.  They would have plenty of time before actually taking the controls to do all the stuff like arm the spoilers, and bring down the flaps.   It would probably be a rough landing, but airliners are pretty tough.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »
Tower would just have to tell them which switches to flip to which knobs to fiddle and the plane would land itself.

Even short of that, I don't think it would be that difficult in fair weather, for the tower to talk even a complete rookie through it.  

So, the air traffic controllers are fully qualified and familiar with the switchology of airliners they control and are authorized to do such a thing?

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »
How would that be accomplished otherwise?

There have been airliners flying now for many years with the capability to land automatically, it is a mandatory feature to be able to fly CAT 3 ILS approaches.

They can even do it in O minimum, O RVR conditions (classified as a CAT 3C ) problem with that is that you would then have an aircraft on the ground that can't see anywhere to taxi so they would have to tow them in very slowly, so AFAIK there are no airports yet that support CAT 3c, at least not until they get some kind of auto-taxi-to-the-gate as well.

And to get back on topic...

I'd want this guy

Ted Striker  :rock

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
So, the air traffic controllers are fully qualified and familiar with the switchology of airliners they control and are authorized to do such a thing?

No, but they could easily call the ops center for the airline in trouble, or another airline which uses the same aircraft, and get an experienced pilot on the line.  Get him in the tower at the destination airport to talk the plane down.  Everything in the flight prior to final approach could easily be done over the radio, it's all just telling the autopilot and FMC what to do.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »
Talked down by....

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »
No, but they could easily call the ops center for the airline in trouble, or another airline which uses the same aircraft, and get an experienced pilot on the line.  Get him in the tower at the destination airport to talk the plane down.  Everything in the flight prior to final approach could easily be done over the radio, it's all just telling the autopilot and FMC what to do.
Do all of the airlines have experienced pilots on call for such a situation at each destination?