Author Topic: Deter Perkpiling  (Read 1445 times)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Deter Perkpiling
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »
It's midnight... Side X has almost won the war... you are getting ready to call it a night... but what the hey, why not just side switch and rack up the free perks sitting on your bellybutton in the tower?

ENY Skyrockets.  Other sides start yelling about numbers.  You and your pals up Panzer IV Fs and P-40E's to try to close this bad boy out... all because Joe Schmucketelli who is drooling on his pillow can get one step closer to a free KT to spawn camp you with when he switches sides.

SOLUTION: Do not award victory perks for side-switchers.  A 3-6 hour time limit between side switch and point eligibility?

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Deter Perkpiling
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Already in place. 12h minimum in country time required.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
BOING! Another wish granted !!   :O

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »
Already in place. 12h minimum in country time required.

AS I was typing that out... I says to myself "Self, perhaps this is already in place... but surely there can't be dozens of idiots...."

AHHHHH Well.... at least I can never say I have never had a wish granted.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »
If you get perks, it says 'You have been awarded perks.' when the war is won.

Maybe to deter the people that jump sides thinking they're going to cash in on those sweet, sweet war perks there should be a message saying, 'Because you haven't been on this side for long enough, you don't get any war win perks.  Zero.  Nada.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!' or something along those lines.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
May I add that the "players jumping the side to get the reset perks" has always been largely a myth.

Numbers are imbalanced near the end because:

- they had been in the first place, as most of the time only with a substantial numeric advantage one country can pull it off
- many of the "losing" players (particularly those on the team suffering from  that last push) log off in disgust "man, we do suck!"
- many players on the winning team stay onlyine to witness the vicotry, adn/or because they believe they need to be online at that moment to get their reset perks.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
If you get perks, it says 'You have been awarded perks.' when the war is won.

Maybe to deter the people that jump sides thinking they're going to cash in on those sweet, sweet war perks there should be a message saying, 'Because you haven't been on this side for long enough, you don't get any war win perks.  Zero.  Nada.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!' or something along those lines.

Wiley.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
- many players on the winning team stay onlyine to witness the vicotry, adn/or because they believe they need to be online at that moment to get their reset perks.

What are the criteria here to get perks?  Just be a member of the country that wins?  Or do you have to have had a sortie within X hours of the win or something?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
What are the criteria here to get perks?  Just be a member of the country that wins? 

Interesting question on the second look. Yes, you have been a member for at least 12 hours, but I don't know for sure if you had to fly any sortie prior to that during that time, day, tour or whatever  :headscratch:

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »
Interesting question on the second look. Yes, you have been a member for at least 12 hours, but I don't know for sure if you had to fly any sortie prior to that during that time, day, tour or whatever  :headscratch:

Id' be curious too, as I'm always Knights, but can't remember the last time seeing the "You have been awarded points." message...  I probabley just overlook it, but is it a regular yellow-text system message like the one declaring the war is over and warning of imminute map change?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »
I probabley just overlook it, but is it a regular yellow-text system message like the one declaring the war is over and warning of imminute map change?

It's actually part of the war victory message. "The war has been won by the Knights. You have been awarded perk points"
Of course you will only see the message if you are online at this very moment, but you will still get the perks when you are not. There's just no message about it.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
It's actually part of the war victory message. "The war has been won by the Knights. You have been awarded perk points"
Of course you will only see the message if you are online at this very moment, but you will still get the perks when you are not. There's just no message about it.

As rare as that message is, it looks familiar.  :devil

But if you're on one of the two loosing sides, is it not included in your "victory" message?  As I understand, you still get awarded some perks (a smaller, token amount) but then shouldn't you also see this message?  IE: "The was has been won by the Bishop/Rooks.  You have been awaded perk points."  Or should, on my loosing end, just be seeing the "they won" message?

I remember last night, the rooks winning and not seeing the "perks awarded bit".  Could be just because I DCed a couple times throughout the night and shortly relogged on before the victory.

And if I understand the last bit of your message, the server somehow awards me perks for my participation in a map victory, even if I'm offline and not logged in when the map is won/rotated?  (no wonder the rooks/bish have so many perkies :rolleyes: )
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
Only members of the winning country do get reset perk points and see this specific part of the message

And if I understand the last bit of your message, the server somehow awards me perks for my participation in a map victory, even if I'm offline and not logged in when the map is won/rotated?  (no wonder the rooks/bish have so many perkies :rolleyes: )

Yes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:44:52 PM by Lusche »

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »
Or do you have to have had a sortie within X hours of the win or something?

No, I have gotten the 'You have been awarded Perks' message within a few minutes of logging in, having not flown a sortie yet.
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
It's midnight... Side X has almost won the war... you are getting ready to call it a night... but what the hey, why not just side switch and rack up the free perks sitting on your bellybutton in the tower?

ENY Skyrockets.  Other sides start yelling about numbers.  You and your pals up Panzer IV Fs and P-40E's to try to close this bad boy out... all because Joe Schmucketelli who is drooling on his pillow can get one step closer to a free KT to spawn camp you with when he switches sides.

SOLUTION: Do not award victory perks for side-switchers.  A 3-6 hour time limit between side switch and point eligibility?

Try changing sides to the low number side. More fights more fun and more perks.

Most folks that switch in your situation figure you have had numbers for awhile. They'll switch to make your eny ramp up when they are leaving. Switch to the low number side to combat this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:48:01 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)