Author Topic: Gold as money, again: is this the first step?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Gold as money, again: is this the first step?
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
http://www.ino.com/blog/2012/08/big-changes-ahead-gold-just-became-money-again/

Two important points to note in this article:

1) If adopted, U.S. banks would be required to increase their Tier I (i.e. low-risk) asset percentage from 4% to 6%; under pre-Basil III rules, that meant cash holdings.  Which leads us to item two...

2) This statement:
At the top of the proposed changes is the new list of “zero-percent risk weighted items,” which now includes “gold bullion,” right after “cash.”

Basically, this put gold bullion on a par with cash, from the bank holdings perspective, which will almost surely result in a significant increase in demand, and coincidentily in price. Interesting...

Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gold as money, again: is this the first step?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
what dose this mean?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »
what dose this mean?

It means the currency system is going to collapse and just be worthless paper, so you best be stocking up on precious metals and other things of stable and real value.  :noid
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
what dose this mean?

As I note in my last line above, this could very well restart a bull market in precious metals (PM); gold, primarily, but other precious metals would also most assuridly rise in value as well.  I don't make a habit of giving investment advise (I'm just a simple country music singer, after all), but adding some PM to your portfolio is something worth considering.  Also, this is a step closer to a return to the gold standard, which some believe is the only hope to avert (or at least survive) a world-wide financial collapse  :noid.  Just found it interesting, and thought I'd see who else did, too.
Sabre

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
Eventually, someone will be buying a loaf of bread with a gold bar.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
Be careful of gold, in the late 70's to the early 80s gold was high then it crashed. It has experienced a strong run over the past years and may be already overvalued. Also, be very leery of the doomsday hype, the fact of the matter is today, the dollar has higher demand than all the other major 1st world currencies despite all the printing, etc.... as despite our problems we are in better financial shape than the Euro zone. Remember, politicians & experts (who often work at institutes with political bents) have a vested interest in disseminating fear.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
Be careful of gold, in the late 70's to the early 80s gold was high then it crashed. It has experienced a strong run over the past years and may be already overvalued. Also, be very leery of the doomsday hype, the fact of the matter is today, the dollar has higher demand than all the other major 1st world currencies despite all the printing, etc.... as despite our problems we are in better financial shape than the Euro zone. Remember, politicians & experts (who often work at institutes with political bents) have a vested interest in disseminating fear.

This.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_04/willis112804.html

Careful of this as well!  :noid

They aint gettin my 10k gold grill dawg!!

Seems to me everytime the econmy is set on a "boom" item it always busts, gold, dot-coms,  housing and what have you.  Wanna stable economy  have a good supply and demand and make sure you keep your money local if your buying from over seas your paying those guys  to buy stuff and they sure arent going to by the products you make.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:26:21 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
It means the currency system is going to collapse and just be worthless paper, so you best be stocking up on precious metals and other things of stable and real value.  :noid

banks wont buy more gold than what they need.  they make more money lending it at 20% rate than holding gold bullion in their vaults.  they will only hold the minimum that is required by law.

looking at the story is good news for brokers.  they can instigate panic and make a fortune selling or buying at whatever price.  it dont matter to them as they make money either way.  all they got is another incentive kind of like the price of oil.  the price of oil is more related to speculation that to how much is used.  they gonna scare people now into thinking they should hold all their money in metals.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »
Okay,so everything is right on time.

Get your beans and bullets people!!
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
banks wont buy more gold than what they need.  they make more money lending it at 20% rate than holding gold bullion in their vaults.  they will only hold the minimum that is required by law.

looking at the story is good news for brokers.  they can instigate panic and make a fortune selling or buying at whatever price.  it dont matter to them as they make money either way.  all they got is another incentive kind of like the price of oil.  the price of oil is more related to speculation that to how much is used.  they gonna scare people now into thinking they should hold all their money in metals.

semp

Actually, an even bigger impact on the price of oil than speculation is the value of the dollar.  Most all commodities are traded internationally in US dollars (USD), though demand and speculation certainly does play a part.  One reason I believe the price of gold is so historically high is because of the devaluation of fiat currencies in general, and the USD in particular.  Remember we've recently had two rounds of quantitative easing, bank-eeze for purposeful devaluation of the dollar through over-printing of said currency.  This was supposed to inject capital into the market place, making it easier to lend, and hopefully stimulating the economy, but it also increases inflation (including the price of gold).  Combine those factors with a lack of confidence in Europe's and America's phantom recoveries, and people are putting more of their liquidity into precious metals; this is not to make money, but rather to preserve it, should further inflation or financial crisis occur.

Because my sense is that things will get much worse before they get better, I expect gold to continue to rise in the near future. Yes, it eventually will fall again, but I don't see it happening soon. My opinion, but there you have it. Regarding the risk of confiscation, yes, that is a possibility. While I see that as remote, the hedge against it is to not collect bullion, but rather to invest in semi-numismatic gold and silver coins.  These types of coins were not confiscated by FDR (no guarantee it won't happen, but worth noting), but more important, sales of them are not reported to the IRS, making it easier to hide or send overseas to store, if you so desire. The downside is you pay more than spot price when you buy this way, so it's something you have to consider before purchasing.

Regarding Nathan60's comment, it's true that banks won't likely buy more than they need, but remember: they must keep 4 - 6% of their tier I assets in-house; they can't lend it at any percentage (and no one is ending at close to 20% right now, accept for credit cards and loan sharks; look at home mortgage rates). So, if a bank MUST keep 4% or 6% of their total assets in cash or gold, prudence says that at least some be kept in a form that can counter-act hyper-inflation or collapse of a major currency. Maybe not all of it, but at least some.  The new rules being proposed would allow US banks to do so, and that means higher demand.
Sabre

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »
Gold cannot work as a currency in a modern economy.  There simply isn't enough of it and it will constrain the economy.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
^agreed...return to a gold note.  I think whiskey and food will be more valuable than money.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »

it's not actually over valued. in fact, technically speaking, the price of gold hasn't gone up, but rather the value of a dollar has gone down the sewer. this means it takes more of them to buy that gold. 

in the end, the result is the same, but the path to get to that result is different.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)