Author Topic: Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....  (Read 3702 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
I don't think scraping the wing causes... damage over all - for example I bounce quite hard when I land, I never had landing gears shed off.... Now if you take off and forget to raise your landing gears they will shed off after you get some speed.
I do know if you bump a building doing 5mph it will shred a wing right off even if you barely touch the wingtip, few times I've taken off I've scrapped a few wings, hell I even had one spin me 90 degrees around.

Its a bit surprisingly that we don't have it modeled for damage, if you scrap a wingtip wouldn't it come off? or seriously damage the wing? I wouldn't think so since there are no major... systems int he wing tips, maybe a Spitfire with the outboard .303, but I dont
think it would be damaged by scraping wings.
my 2 cents

we have other stress noises that are not accompanied with damage.  gear, g forces, belly landings, midways 200 chatter.  :neener:

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
we have other stress noises that are not accompanied with damage.  gear, g forces, belly landings, midways 200 chatter.  :neener:

:rofl

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline APsycho

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
No wonder one wing is always easier to tear off than the other.  :t

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
just try it out for yourself slowly drag a wingtip along and see if it breaks off...TADA :devil

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
If two of you care enough, really, take a spitfire and a jeep, turn off killshooter, and test it in a private arena. 

# of bullet to wing tip with no scrape.

# of bullets to wing tip with minimal scrape.

# of bullets to wing tip that scraped from one of the runway to the other.

I think I know why Skuzzy took a vacation now.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.