Author Topic: New smoke effect  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: New smoke effect
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »
To be honest it doesn't look very realistic at all. I'm not defending the defaults, as I don't think they are realistic either, but yours isn't much of an improvement.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »
To be honest it doesn't look very realistic at all. I'm not defending the defaults, as I don't think they are realistic either, but yours isn't much of an improvement.
Better than anything you have came up with.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
Well hey now, he asked for opinions, he got some.  ;) So much hostility today Jo.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Wakeem is my favorite  :)
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
 :aok :aok :aok It looks great!  :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
my computer sucks and is less than 2 yrs old

First, there are a number of things that can probably be done to drastically improve your framerates.  Second, since all that (assuming) USRanger did was "color" the existing bmp files, it is no way possible that it would impact your computer's performance if HTC updated it into a standard texture (hope that I am using the correct term). 

Adding it as a custom texture in a terrain, might use a tiny bit of resources but  :headscratch: even then I am guessing once the texture is loaded with the terrain, it is no different than seeing the skin on your plane.

Tracerfi,

;) I got your funny about your parents' fondness for facebook.  :D  I applaud your decision to respect your parents' property and not to potentially damage or change any thing.  With that in mind, there are so many programs and adware apps that steal valuable resources not only from your ability to play games, but also from the speed and health of your family's PC.  There must be someone that you know and trust, that your parents would allow to set up preferences and profiles to meet each of your needs as well as get rid of the clutter that only slows the computer down.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »
Don't be too hard on Krusty.  He dislikes anything he didn't do himself.  I did find his "unrealistic" comment funny, since I used a picture of real smoke to make it. :)

To answer some of Chilli's questions & some others' comments, I'll explain what I did.  The plane fire & smoke effect consists of 15 .bmps which control the colors and 15 alpha .bmps which control the shape and transparency.
This was just a quick 3 minute experiment, so I kept the default alpha .bmps and only changed the color .bmps.  Alphas work in balck & white.  Anything in the .bmp which is black is totally transparent, anything white shows the solid color.
So making the smoke and/or fire more transparent is simply a matter of making the white parts or the alpha .bmp shades of gray.  This will change it to semi-transparent.

I did this just on a whim to see what it would look like, and even used the same new smoke .bmp over & over to save time.  Now that I see there is some interest, I will go back and do a more thorough job using different smoke .bmps and see how it turns out.  I'll also play with the fire too.  It looks kind of funny with the default fire.  Updated pics to come.

Thanks all for putting up with my lil experiments I do from time to time.  I do like getting the feedback, whether good or bad.  It helps steer me in the right direction. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »
I'm starting to play with the fire also.  What I need from the community is any pictures you can find, preferably color, of what a WW2 avgas plane fire looked like.  What I just made is too dark, but I'd like something to work from.

Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
I like it, but I think it needs more yellow.  :angel:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »
Looks great Ranger. Only improvement would be oil stains on the trailing fighter windscreens. Nice job!  :aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »
Go figure...I google B-24 Shot Down, and I see flames as long as what we have in AH. :bhead

A lot of the fires I saw on that 1st page alone appear to be fuel.  Even with it being in black and white, you can see that they burn quite brightly.  The fire you have is too dark.  From what I can see in the black and white photo's, it's very bright right up to the end, similar to how our default is.  I would try matching the brightness to what we see in the default fire. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34:48 AM »
 :aok

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 02:08:04 AM »
The flames are a great effect, but dont look right thanks to AH repeating it uniformally.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
The real question is how it will impact the lower systems.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
short and simple, looks great and thanks for the effort put into it. Been a long time coming and much needed. Agreed that it is a bit dark now.
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy