Author Topic: Last time USA defeated the queens navy?  (Read 7559 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Last time USA defeated the queens navy?
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »
To quote Milton Berle (as J. Russel Finch) in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -

"If it wasn't for "Lend-Lease" and giving you billions - that you never even said thank you for - the whole phony outfit would have sunk under the Atlantic years ago."   :rofl

Take that, "Lef-tenant" Colonel Algernon Hawthorne!  :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
But If they REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to they could made it part of the empire again and controlled the tariffs and taxes from trade between the 2. Leaving it Independent nixed that they had to be far sighted enough to realise that sooner or late the US would become independant of even their trade and a competitor.

Again too simple. A war is very costly, and you have to pay that cost now, not a hundred years later. Even an English King isn't immune to the will of the people.

As for the U.S. becoming independent on British trade and a competitor, that's just nonsensical. More trade is always better, for everyone; that's why we do it so much. Today the United States accounts for the United Kingdom's largest single export market. Total trade of imports and exports between the United Kingdom and the United States amounted to the sum of $107.2 billion in 2007. The United States and the United Kingdom share the world's largest foreign direct investment partnership. In 2005, American direct investment in the UK totaled $324 billion while British direct investment in the United States totaled $282 billion. You two are economically joined at the hip, so to speak.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
Again too simple. A war is very costly, and you have to pay that cost now, not a hundred years later. Even an English King isn't immune to the will of the people.

As for the U.S. becoming independent on British trade and a competitor, that's just nonsensical. More trade is always better, for everyone; that's why we do it so much. Today the United States accounts for the United Kingdom's largest single export market. Total trade of imports and exports between the United Kingdom and the United States amounted to the sum of $107.2 billion in 2007. The United States and the United Kingdom share the world's largest foreign direct investment partnership. In 2005, American direct investment in the UK totaled $324 billion while British direct investment in the United States totaled $282 billion. You two are economically joined at the hip, so to speak.

Exactly and that portion that belongs to the US could have been even more dumped into Britain's GNP right as well asd  all the revenue generated in the US would be subject to British tax? To fund British projects and intrests, so why walk away when the gains so outweight the risks?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:04:44 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »
Also the US beat Canada in rowing in the Olympics if you count Canada as part of the Queen's navy.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »
Exactly and that portion that belongs to the US could have been even more dumped into Britain's GNP right as well asd  all the revenue generated in the US would be subject to British tax? To fund British projects and intrests, so why walk away when the gains so outweight the risks?

At the time the U.S. was not worth the risk, and the British people were tired of war (with the French). The war with America (the sideshow) was simply not worth the cost. Occupying a country/colony with a hostile population is extremely costly and is seldom worth the trouble.

Today we call it "globalization". One day it may render most, if not all wars, not worth the cost.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
Queen's Navy was piece of cake; we are under UFO attack  ! :old:  ,
klingonians ,beasts of the abyss or fallen angels?! I was listening this story on Coast to Coast this week;  :noid  The US and Chinesse Navy secret joint operations vs UFO?  :bhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utROaw1soe4
..and another UFO report this evening :noid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19683687

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
At the time the U.S. was not worth the risk, and the British people were tired of war (with the French). The war with America (the sideshow) was simply not worth the cost. Occupying a country/colony with a hostile population is extremely costly and is seldom worth the trouble.

Today we call it "globalization". One day it may render most, if not all wars, not worth the cost.

OK, how much Money has the "sideshow" made for itself in the last 200 years? You take America back you could recoup you losses from the French war in a economical blink of an eye.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »
Queen's Navy was piece of cake; we are under UFO attack  ! :old:  ,
klingonians ,beasts of the abyss or fallen angels?! I was listening this story on Coast to Coast this week;  :noid  The US and Chinesse Navy secret joint operations vs UFO?  :bhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utROaw1soe4
..and another UFO report this evening :noid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19683687

GHI I love you, you wacky bastage. Don't forget about the CIA vs. Airforce nook war in the Tunnels  http://presscore.ca/2011/?p=4009:noid :noid

But I gotta say I saw the movie they made about this with Rhianna in it and it wernt all that great

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:36:43 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
It is clear to me now, America won or else we would be under brit control and canada would also be under Brit control... Who knows maybe it would be a better world if the Brits had won.. I would be polite and the world wars would never have happen  :banana:

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
Technically the US never defeated the Queen's Navy, since they had the same King both times we went to war against each other...

:huh
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
It is clear to me now, America won or else we would be under brit control and canada would also be under Brit control...

How do you figure? Any war America survives is a victory?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:53:37 PM by GScholz »

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
     Didn't the Vikings give up on North America too?   :D
Btw GScholz congrats, it's taken a long time since you returned to see your bias come back..much longer than I expected.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:23:04 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
     I am trying to remember where I read this, but it was years ago.  Someone wrote that the Constellation class "frigates" were cheating.
The average Royal Navy frigate carried 36 guns with smaller bores, the Constitution and her sisters mounted 44 heavier cannon.  With her
speed and well built timbers she was more like a pocket battle ship.

The RN had a tradition of winning single ship combat no matter what the force differential, so they weren't too happy about the 1812 losses.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2012, 11:09:57 PM »
    Didn't the Vikings give up on North America too?   :D
Btw GScholz congrats, it's taken a long time since you returned to see your bias come back..much longer than I expected.

Exactly what is my bias in this case? The opinions I've expressed in this thread are not really my own, but those of an amalgam of historians. Most historians conclude that the war ended in a draw, with a minority concluding that the war constituted a British victory and an American defeat. Perhaps you should search your own feelings and bias in this case.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »
How do you figure? Any war America survives is a victory?

But did the Norwegians surrender to the Germans in WWII?    :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC