Author Topic: 50 Years ago October  (Read 885 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: 50 Years ago October
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
It sounds very similiar to that sub movie with Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman - I forget the name of it.
Crimson Tide.

Hopefully there were a lot less power plays and guns being brandished on the B-59 than on Crimson Tide's USS Alabama.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »

Fascinating piece of History. Good Find.  :aok
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »
Great post...I had no idea. This is the theme of that movie with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington, Crimson Tide? I wonder how many other "little" moments during the Cold War we are not aware of. I am just learning about a near war in 1983.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
 Awesome story.

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
I'm going to raise several glasses (and a couple of bottles) if that's alright with you?

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
The US destroyers were not only dropping practice depth charges, but they were also dropping grenades off the side. They were having a merry old time since they knew the diesel sub had to come up some time for air.

What they didn 't know was the B59 had one nuke torpedo on board.

The Russians knew they were not under actual attack, but being forced to surface, (or in their view surrender Russia's honor). However the psychological state on the sub had deteriorated badly, due to stress, lack of food and water (one cup a day per man), and of course lack of air. The CO levels on the sub were very bad too, and the temperature was over 100 degrees. That Arkhipov was able to keep his wits in that environment was impressive.

Arkipov was also on board K19, so that his experience with the dangers of radiation (the only one on B59 who did), were very real in his mind. It is said that the radiation exposure he received on K19 directly lead to his death.

Another gentleman to note in this regard is Stanislav Petrov.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
 :salute

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Been a long time since I saw it but the 1965 movie "The Bedford Incident" is pretty good drama of things getting out of hand.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »
This incident, along with a similar one that occurred on another Soviet nuclear-armed sub during the Cuban missile crisis, is described in detail in the book Red November, by Reed.  It also describes a lot of other very interesting cold-war encounters.

It's a great book.