Author Topic: Why I still want to HO  (Read 7942 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Why I still want to HO
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
It's too hard to try - A8balls

That's all I got from your posts. I'm going to make a club, Latrobe, Redbull and Debrody are invited.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »
It's too hard to try - A8balls

That's all I got from your posts. I'm going to make a club, Latrobe, Redbull and Debrody are invited.
If that's all you got out of that, you probably own a few bridges Sir.
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »
Gotta agree with Debrody. You accept HO's, you're not going to get better in the worse of cases, and are slowing your improvment in the best of cases.

Basically, my reasoning is that, if you HO, it shows that either 1) you aren't confident of your ability to defeat the enemy in a manuvering fight, or that 2) you are confident that your opponent is newer, or just can't aim for hell (else HO just results in a mutual death, or severe damage a least).

If its the first, then the reason for why you souldn't HO are obvious: You don't get better without practice, and the best practice is against those better than you are.

If the latter, then the reason is that you're simply being lazy and don't want to take the time to manuver. Its more courteous, and fun, to manuver for the kill, even if its not nessecary.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:27:30 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
well from my experience, the DA is more of a laid back place to fly, not too many HOs and everyone has a good time(for the most part)  The MA, well out of we'll say 10 sorties I get hoed about 80% of the time, only had a few good fights, and seems like there is a lot of nonsense drama there kinda like facebook.  So when I fly in the MA I ho everything, in the DA I dont ho at all unless its rediculous odds.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »
It's not rocket science dude. If words fail you.... who is the simple-minded one here?

I believe the expression is "Rocket Surgery". Duh.

I quite like it when people try to HO me. It not only illustrates how much more they want to get a kill than have a fight, but also justifies and facilitates the spanking they are about to receive. Carry on.  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »
well from my experience, the DA is more of a laid back place to fly, not too many HOs and everyone has a good time(for the most part)  The MA, well out of we'll say 10 sorties I get hoed about 80% of the time, only had a few good fights, and seems like there is a lot of nonsense drama there kinda like facebook.  So when I fly in the MA I ho everything, in the DA I dont ho at all unless its rediculous odds.

That makes you the 80 percent or better.

Actually some people try to HO so much, just make that your first move by leading them. Your one step ahead.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
80% of the people in the MA HO... because at least 80% of the MA thinks any time you are shot anywhere but dead 6-o'clock is a HO.

Honestly, I use it to judge the relative skill level (and in some cases, the effectiveness of channel 200 chili-stirring) of the pilot...  when I am already engaged and at the ass-end of a turn or something and another bandit is merging with me and doesn't fire, it's pretty easy to tell who it is based on the plane (and I usually find out as they shoot me down in the next 30 seconds).

One thing I will say about Midway, he's actually pretty good at Head-on attacks... the majority of the HO-patrol simply sprays a few dozen cannon rounds and keeps on going.  I guess that 10% chance they have of a handful of them making contact with more than the ground - which of course usually cripples your ride - is enough to keep them entertained.

As frustrating as it can be, in my case if I get hit it's because I was being greedy with energy when I should have evaded more thoroughly... and although the old Air Warrior method of deterring those types of attacks seems attractive in those instances, I am glad hitech and co. keeps it realistic.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
80% of the people in the MA HO... because at least 80% of the MA thinks any time you are shot anywhere but dead 6-o'clock is a HO.
A head on is a head on, no exuses can make it look any better.
So do you think when two planes are moving towards each other, and one slightly turns away but the other is forcing it and spraying is not a ho?
Btw i wouldnt give the horse under middy, but thats just me. I know, im not even playing anymore...  insanety.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:21 AM »

I'm unclear why someone would need to make it "look any better."  A shot's a shot.  If I'm flying against you, and I know that you'll never take the HO shot, then I'll adjust my tactics accordingly - namely turning nose to nose against you every time, since it's low risk for me.  And since I'd have no aversion to shooting your plane HO, that gives me a significant tactical advantage.

Now, if we're talking a dueling ladder match, then not going HO is just good sportsmanship.  But in the MA?  Everything's on the table IMO.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »

If both craft simultaneously have a forward gun solution on one another, it's a "HO" if one or both fire.

My comment was directed at those who think that the guy coming in off their 1 or 2 o'clock (for example... I've see people get nailed from high 12 and whine HO) and hammering them is a HO.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
Someone please post a video showing a perfect HO on an enemy buff.

I'll bet 90% here can't do it.

It takes two to HO.

I try to avoid HO's but will take one when I am matched against a plane I can't outturn or outspeed to gain separation for a proper non-HO attack.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
I take them in stride these days but the annoying thing about HO's these days is the time wasted flyin somewhere to possibly get a fight and then the cat comes straight at you guns blazing.  If he hits you, its more boring climbout time back to the battle, if he misses you I find they usually run, so either way its usually just a waste of game time.  As far as HOing bombers, I do it, and I like it!   :aok

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
Someone please post a video showing a perfect HO on an enemy buff.

I'll bet 90% here can't do it.
I'm sure I have a  few in my film folder somewhere.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
It wasn't so much a challenge but I sure have trouble making a dead on HO attack on a plane not also trying to do the same.

When you have a fight that features you trying to reverse many times to get six and your opponent reverses the same amount to maintain HO at the merge, then you can complain about HO.

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
Was hoed by who earlyer this weak so don't act like you don't do it anymore.