Author Topic: I love the 410!!!!  (Read 4159 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: I love the 410!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
The 410 is a monster and perhaps the best bomber destroyer at altitudes below 23k.  Get too much higher than 23k and the 410 becomes a fish out of water.  Sure, if it already at that altitude then it still may be able to intercept, but otherwise not.

I pity any bomber under 20k that runs in to a 410.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
The N1Ks will hardly ever get off the ground.
:headscratch:

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
:headscratch:

The Nakajima Homare engine used by the N1K and Ki-84 was horribly unreliable due to Japanese quality control issues late in the war.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:02:45 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
If it did that opens doors to model poor reliability of specific aspects of almost any plane in the game.

Which would be awesome. Some of the stars of AH were dogs IRL because of problems the game doesn't model - the C-Hog and KI-84 come to mind. Why model these planes to be so uber when they weren't?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
Yes, we really need more things to get in the way of fighting...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
I'd love to see 262 engine flame outs or spontaneous combustions and Me163 exploding on the runway. The N1Ks will hardly ever get off the ground.

oh this list could get really fun actually - Typhoon/Tempest random blackouts and death due to exhaust poisoning?  sounds fun.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
Yes, we really need more things to get in the way of fighting...

You can't fight in an F4U-1A instead of a 1C?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »
Sure I can (and do), but what would be the point of having a -1C if the guns jam after the first burst?

Can you imagine the whines if a customer pays those hard earned perks for a 262 only to get a pair of engine fires when he fire-walls the throttles on take-off?

Can you imagine the whines if a customer selects "The Plane that Won the War" P-51D, and as soon as it dives over 500 mph a wing folds over the cockpit, trapping the player in a spiral of death?

The hard reality is that WWII fighters were very much experimental aircraft if judged by today's standards. The P-51, for instance, was developed in less than a year. They all had their vices and quirks, and were a lot harder to fly than in any computer game... Let alone to fight in.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in the real P-51 there were hundreds of switches and levers that needed to be used to successfully operate the aircraft. In this game you hit "e", fire-wall the throttle and pull on the stick.

I'm, sorry if I overstate the obvious...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:50:56 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »
For those that havent seen it yet: The 410 can now carry 2x 500kg SAP bombs in the internal bomb bay, increasing it's bomb damage capacity by x2.5 with direct hits compared to the old 2x250kg GP loadout.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 02:54:09 AM »
oh this list could get really fun actually - Typhoon/Tempest random blackouts and death due to exhaust poisoning?  sounds fun.
Also the P-39 suffered from gases in the cockpit and I am excluding the cases of pilots eating beans before missions. As far as I know Yaks did not carry oxygen and the pilots could lose consciousness above 15k.

Just to be clear, while I think these things would be hilarious for a tour or so, once the joke has passed they will just get in the way of fighting as some posters already pointed out.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
Even more fun is : when you have to take what plane that is left to fly at the field (109e with no rudder) , transfer the whole map where the fight is, and find out they dont have the fuel you wanted at destination field + only 7.9mm bullets.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
Lots of love for the 410!

You either fly it 24k or 100 feet, in between is bad news!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I took one up to ~28,000ft with the 50mm cannon.

Don't do this.  It doesn't like it up there.

Also, don't use this if you want to hunt anything other than unperked, heavy or older medium bombers.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
Karnak is right, I've tried it as well; the 410 can not persue the b29 at all!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
Sure I can (and do), but what would be the point of having a -1C if the guns jam after the first burst?

Better than having a fantasy -1C that never actually existed.

Can you imagine the whines if a customer pays those hard earned perks for a 262 only to get a pair of engine fires when he fire-walls the throttles on take-off?

I can imagine the joy of having a much more realistic number (i.e., a lot fewer) of 262 sorties.

Can you imagine the whines if a customer selects "The Plane that Won the War" P-51D, and as soon as it dives over 500 mph a wing folds over the cockpit, trapping the player in a spiral of death?

Learn to fly within the limitations of the plane. As it is now you can't dive a KI over 500mph without shedding much needed parts, and KI pilots somehow live with this limitation.

The hard reality is that WWII fighters were very much experimental aircraft if judged by today's standards.

True, but I'm not talking about modeling every nitpicky detail, just major performance issues that affected one or two planes particularly severely, ones that are game changers for that plane. Yes, there are compromises of realism for playability and that's fine, but the unrealistic modeling makes some planes and GVs much, much more effective than they were IRL. An F4U with working, reliable Hispanos did not exist in WW2, and yet we have one. Why? Either model the huge, glaring deficiency that made the -1C a dog of a plane IRL, or don't include it in the game. Likewise the Tiger II - if you want to play with the fantastic guns and armor you should have to accept the chance that more often than not it breaks down irreparably before you get anywhere near the enemy like the real ones did. Or better yet, just don't have it in the game.