Author Topic: Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19:25 AM »
I agree with Freeman.

:aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »
If the names of the murderers were not hyped and their tally.... I think it would curtail such heinous crimes.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline WyoKId

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 03:38:55 AM »
Outside of a dog , a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

"i like the enemy to know I killed em, building animosity amongst enemy makes for fun... otherwise why not go play golf or somethin"   bagrat

Offline USAFCAPcTSgt

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 04:48:36 AM »
A few years ago when Chris Benoit killed his family and then himself.  Vincent McMahon came on the air Tuesday night during ECW and announced that Benoit would be forever blacklisted from WWE.  They will never mention his name again.

That should be done for all trajedies.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 04:50:49 AM »
A few years ago when Chris Benoit killed his family and then himself.  Vincent McMahon came on the air Tuesday night during ECW and announced that Benoit would be forever blacklisted from WWE.  They will never mention his name again.

That should be done for all trajedies.

So he made a big announcement of never mentioning his name again.. Sounds illogical to say the least.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 05:53:32 AM »
Morgan Freeman denies making statement about school shooting.

http://news.yahoo.com/morgan-freeman-denies-making-statement-school-shooting-013627371.html
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »

Maybe.........Just Maybe........A lack of God in our society could be the problem. Heinous acts of Evil occur because the perpetrator does not believe they have to answer for their actions, here on Earth or the Hereafter. I'm not a Bible thumper guys, but do believe you might have to answer for your evil deeds come judgement day.

Then again, religious belief has fueled many of our most notorious, widespread and heinous acts of violence.  It's easier to justify violence as "ok" when God is supposedly on the side of the perpetrator. 

Not just individuals either...  Groups of people killing groups of people.  Crack open a history book; start with "Manifest Destiny".
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:53 AM »
Then again, religious belief has fueled many of our most notorious, widespread and heinous acts of violence.  It's easier to justify violence as "ok" when God is supposedly on the side of the perpetrator. 

Not just individuals either...  Groups of people killing groups of people.  Crack open a history book; start with "Manifest Destiny".
everything I try to type breaks #14

blaming God for what man has done is worse then blaming the Gun.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »
I see many good points posted here, but let's not get into religion. Religion is not responsible for your actions, nor do you need religion to be a decent person.

I do believe that the celebrity status of mass murderers and serial killers is a big causal factor for the individuals that commit these crimes. However, we must set a side those killings that have been motivated by revenge; when going trough the list of school shootings in the U.S. I found that the majority was revenge motivated, perpetrated by a single student who committed suicide or murder-suicide at his school, usually with very few casualties, often only the perpetrator himself. These kinds of suicide/murder-suicides happen everywhere, and the only reason they are "shootings" in the U.S. is the availability of firearms; especially handguns. In Europe and elsewhere other weapons are used instead, often with much the same result.

The crimes I believe the media and our own celebrity worshiping culture is driving is the lone outsider, often middle-age male who sees himself as a failure, who, as someone put it: wants to "go out with a bang"; to put his mark on the world in the only way he seems able.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:27:38 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »
So far, three have been suspended.  Religion discussion, is a no-no.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
Morgan Freeman denies making statement about school shooting.

http://news.yahoo.com/morgan-freeman-denies-making-statement-school-shooting-013627371.html

I wonder if the real author will step forward. In the end it doesn't really matter; he/she used Freeman's celebrity status to spread the message, a good message.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
Since the early birth of this country guns have been in all or most of americas' homes.  Early to supply food for the family and self defense.  Blaming a gun for this tragedy is just about as intelligent as blaming the SUV a girl used to back over her Fiance TWICE in our locality.  Place the blame squarely where it needs to be.  We have Dr. Phil and who knows what not on TV everyday trying to school the country or individuals  where their shortcomings are.  We as a whole are making this more difficult and complicated then it needs to be..  Dr Phil is on TV to make money.  The TV station and his sponsors do so to make money.  Maybe he sincerely wishes to help...but hey...he does it for money.
And as Mr Freeman said in a round about way...our society now appears to glorify violence.  Take a look at the movies produced and the TV shows we now have.  He's right.  Law and Order, Law and Order SUV and on and on and on.
No room for a Walt Disney Show on Sunday nights anymore.  No one would watch.

To me it is simple.  Teach core values.  There were great core values chiseled on tablets many years ago.  Now...it's almost unpopular to say one believes in those ten core values for fear of being ridiculed.  Some aspects of those core values can't be displayed in some instances.  Not in Govt. Buildings, Schools, or publicly in front of places where people go to discuss these core values during certain parts of the year.

Yes....those of my age were lucky to have a parent home at all times to reinforce these core values.  Is society lazy now?  

I wonder how many would go to the movies to see The Maltese Falcon now?  I'm thinking it would be declared boring, very few would see it.  Definately a change in our society eh?  Core values didn't change or did I miss the memo?

As Crosby Stills and Nash said.  "Teach....... your children well"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:42:22 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map?page=2

Take a look at this article from Mother Jones.  There seems to be some common themes from the reported motives.  I noticed a few trends.  What do you guys see?

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/335739/facts-about-mass-shootings-john-fund#

This article suggests our recent wave of killings may not be as statistically high as we thought.  Does the media hype these things up too much? 

Whatever we can glean from all this, this isn't a problem we can legislate our way out of. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »
Oops, article was already posted.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:52:05 PM by Wayout »
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »
Morgan Freeman never made those statements.   :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC