Author Topic: Who Turned on the clouds  (Read 1356 times)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Who Turned on the clouds
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
I've flat-out stopped playing because of the frame-rate...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
It would be nice to play this game at its highest capacity and know all other players are doing the same. Maybe a "high end" user arena and an arena for the fodder  :aok

I guess I agree with Uptown

;) :bolt:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
I have just got the pc listed in my sig. I usually run a constant 60fps. When I get to the clouds the fps dives to the 20's then further down when other people show up.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »
My rig is by no means an high-end rig. It's a 5 or 6 year old AlienWare. But I have upgraded the video card a few times, and power supply ...and am only running 2 gigs of ram. Which that should be brought up to 4 gigs IMO. I don't play with every setting maxed out, just detailed water and terrain and max res texture package. So I guess my point there is, you don't actually need to spend tons of money to play this game. I only have FR issues one 1 map and that's only over tank town.

I see and understand your point Changeup. I too have had to do some homework on getting my setting just right in the past. But that's what it takes sometimes if you want to enjoy your hobby.  But I'm wondering if these guys having trouble with the clouds are actually doing their homework?

Coming to the General Discussion forum and blaming bad FR on clouds? I guess that's one way to get answers, but I think the OP would be better served if he posted this in the tech support forum. But you're right, I have no idea what kind of money he has to spend or what kind of equipment he's running. Maybe if we had a few more details, he could actually get some help.

The OPs statement suggests to me that just because his machine is a year old he should be able to run everything smooth as glass by just merely turning it on. Has this gentleman even looked at the tech forums? We don't know. He didn't say. He just wants the clouds turned off because it doesn't suite him.

I for one like the clouds and want them to stay. I upgrade when needed, tweak settings and do regular maintenance on my computer to make things run to my liking. I'm not trying to be a dik, but just trying to get across the fact that besides the game mechanics learning curve, there's also a computer/video setting learning curve as well. At least for me there was/is.

I have noticed folks having FR problems only on certain maps.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:36:13 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
I have something similar to James setup except I have two cards signed on and went into the arena and my frame rate was down by over half its normally maxed out
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »
I know Midway is the root of all evil but I doubt he turned the clouds on.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 11:37:58 PM »
Why dont you guys with computers having the issues with the clouds start posting for help in the hardware forum, or technical support? I know for a fact that Hitech is trying to find out why some people have problems while others do not. Posting in the general forums is only going to get you grief.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
My pc is probably about 3 years old now & my video card is an old 9800GT, yet I can run the game maxed out (except shadows) with clouds and everything cranked, and still keep about 60 fps.  Yet people with much newer stuff have problems I don't.  It's just strange how stuff works in the world of computers.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Why dont you guys with computers having the issues with the clouds start posting for help in the hardware forum, or technical support? I know for a fact that Hitech is trying to find out why some people have problems while others do not. Posting in the general forums is only going to get you grief.
yeah my computer is pretty ordinary and it's been good with the clouds but I do have it on low settings and 60 fps constantly.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 03:26:03 AM »
One good reason for these problems indeed seems to be that some people believe that new is a synonyme of ultimate in gaming computers.

I noticed the clouds over the NW corner of the centre island dropped my frames to 20 - 30 when looking at them, looking the other way gave the familiar solid 60 on my 6 (six) years old rig (E8500, HD3870/512, 4GB, WinXP, 1920*1200; HiRes, detailed water etc., no Environmental bump mapping).
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 04:15:37 AM »
I will post you that 6970 this week :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline CZCH64

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:10 AM »
Same prob....Dell XPS 8500 3rd gen i5, upgraded to 1 G GDDR5  vid card. 8 gig system ram. Computer few a months old. Run 60 fps until the clouds. Drops right off when they pop up.
aka....... SCRATCH

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »
Well then half the customer base needs to upgrade their stuff. I mean really, if you're going to dish out the cash for 250.oo joysticks, throttle and rudder pedals then why not spend 300 bucks on a video card and or power supply and some memory?

I've spent a couple grand easy over the years trying to keep up with the changes. If HTC wants to keep moving forward and compete with the other eye candy games out there, I'm all for it. I'm here for the long term. The "half of player base" you speak of Redbull will be gone as soon as the next flashy game comes along. So I say to them, if ya want to play this game then get the stuff to play it with.

I wonder how well a machine that met the minimum and recommended specs would perform in the heavy clouds we saw the other night.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Getting-Started/Aces-High-Min-Req.html

Uptown I like the puffy clouds and when they first showed up last year I posted how neat they were.  For some reason the clouds last year did not knock down the frame rate like those over the island the other night.  I think too, where you choose or was placed at for the home base that night had a lot to do with how much trouble you had with the clouds.  When I signed in after the map reset I came up on the island where the clods were heavy.

Could I buy a more expensive computer to run the clouds?  Yes I could but that means cutting back somewhere else.  We all have priorities in life as I am sure you have too.  I am sure the AH folks are looking for a cloud balance that will work for the most people.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »
If you get a cheap computer a year ago, it's going to be even worst now. Post your Dxdiag report and the settings your using in the game a you might get some suggestions on what to tweak, instead of just sitting there and complaining.
how do i post it
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »
 I got an old Dell from 2006. I think it is still XP and I have a GForce 8400 video card. Even with all the graphics off I still play with about a frame rate of 15 to 25 at best. I have fiber optics connection and that helps I think. Reading set up information may as will be in Chinese since I am computer illiterate. I am retired and a new computer ain't on our high priority list right now.