Author Topic: 109F flying suggestions  (Read 1683 times)

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
109F flying suggestions
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
looking for tips and tricks for flying the 109F.  In it for next scenario and from what Ive flown so far I like it......although the engine seems underpowered.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: 109F flying suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
Ardy123 gave this advice in another thread:

Step 1: auger
Step 2: re-up.. do some weird hellecopter chit, then auger!

Good luck!

:)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
lol....nice
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
It flies pretty well. Turns well, climbs good, etc. There aren't many tips to give, other than "Fly it in the MA to practice for your scenario."

It has only 200 rds 20mm, but that's enough for plenty of kills. You need to make your shots count, but that's okay because with this plane you can really saddle up and let somebody have it. Just keep your bursts short, if possible. Flying the 109f waaaaay back is one of the planes that helped me learn to aim and control my bursts.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
It's the best fighter in the game!  :aok

It'll even make hurri's, brew's, spit's, and zeke's look like fools!   :devil

Offline blazer65

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
Just run away from the Spit V's....or face eminent death!!!      :devil

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »
Just run away from the Spit V's....or face eminent death!!!      :devil

AND imminent death!!!  :devil
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
The 109F is my favorite in the 109 set. I'm still in the process of finding out what it can and can't do. But so far it in my experiences in it, I'm finding it can match Spitfires turn for turn. Spitfire pilots seem to underestimate it and that's a big plus. I've had several fights with FM2s this past week and when the guy forced me to overshoot I went vertical in hopes of roping him but he seemed to be able to out climb me and hang on his prop longer as well. But like I say, I'm new to this plane and don't know if it's pilot error on my part in not judging his E properly. But it appears to me that the FM2 is better in the vertical then the 109F. I have a hard time believing that but that's been my experiences so far. It performs better at 300IAS and below, great in the stall fights but throttle and rudder control is a must as it's not as stable as the G2 , but seems more stable then the G6.
The machine guns are weak so I set convergence at 375 and get in close before firing. That seems to work well for me. I stay away from bombers because it takes too much ammo and time to bring them down...I usually end up in the tower when I get after buffs. But this too could also be from my inexperience in this bird.

Anyway these are a couple things I'm finding out about this really fun plane to fly. I love it...it's a blast!  :joystick:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:20:44 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Nyax

• Zinc Member

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:05:03 AM by BluBerry »

Offline blazer65

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »
It's the best fighter in the game!  :aok

It'll even make hurri's, brew's, spit's, and zeke's look like fools!   :devil

not even close :huh

:neener:

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
let's see.......  stay the hell away from my Spit V or die a quick and painless death!    Unless that is I've run out of 20mm then it will be slightly more protracted but you will still die by a 1000 cuts of bb's.

On a more serious note myself and pervert tested this match up awhile ago and given a perfect situation the 109F can use it's bigger engine to force the Spitfire into an energy disadvantage.   If the Spit pilot doesn't grab an early opportunity to get a quick shot then the fight could go on awhile.  Like with anything though if you play to somebody elses advantages you will get burn't more often than not. 

Hopper, joachim and latrobe do some pretty awesome flying in it but it still won't beat a Spitty in an out and out knife fight. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
given a perfect situation the 109F can use it's bigger engine to force the Spitfire into an energy disadvantage.   If the Spit pilot doesn't grab an early opportunity to get a quick shot then the fight could go on awhile....but it still won't beat a Spitty in an out and out knife fight. 

Spit V v. 109F is one of AH's best matches.  The Friederich climbs better, the Spit turns better, both are good close-in planes.

- oldman

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »
What Groovy Bruvy said.

I think the most important skill in the F4 is knowing when to use the flat turn, and push for a shot or advantage.  You can fly it like an underpowered k4 all you like, but the true strength it has is the ability to surprise your enemy who isn't expecting you to bleed off E quick and use your turn rate and radius to get a quick shot in.  When fighting the SPit 5's in the upcoming scenario, what Bruv said IMO is exactly right, you have a bit of an advantage in engine power, thus climb and extending can be used to your advantage, but if you see a Spit making a weak turn, being indecisive, or just plain making a big mistake, knowing how to identify this, and knowing when to go from nose up to nose down and "surprise" your target with a quick flat turn will net you some kills that aren't nearly as easy in the G6/G14/K4 as they can't come around as fast as the F4 can.

Of course, knowing when to do the opposite is important too, by that I mean not getting sucked into a flat turn fight by some crafty Spit 5 pilot who knows all the above and is just baiting you into going for that shot, so he can get you into his playing field and surprise YOU when you decide to push it just a little too far.

The F4/Spit5 is one of the most interesting match ups in the entire game, and if you ask me the one that comes closest to matching up with what has been written and talked about regarding both of these fighters since the war.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:09:32 PM by Gman »