Author Topic: Paratrooper/infantry roles  (Read 6091 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Re: Paratrooper/infantry roles
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
Actually I think I would prefer AI on a modified (read limited) "commander" type platform rather than FPS.

There are loads of FPS stuff out there and this game is really FPV (vehicle....... be it ac or gv) combat. Troops are really a weapon that can be deployed from vehicles in that context.

Yes, like Command and Conquer. I agree. I tried that game. It was fun, but not incredibly addicting. Added to AH, it would set the stage for much larger battles and a better strategy game.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 06:24:33 AM »
+1
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline hawkeyeluke13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
Then it would create more dogfights, as planes rush to provide cas for their troops in the field. They would have to be supplied (storches) , protected from air attacks (fighters=furballs) reinforced (goons), and much more. IL2s and a20s will have good CAS roles. It would make the game more intersting if you included large scale operations like invading an island with multiple v and a bases, we could have invasion fleets, beech heads, everything would require supply convoys and  supply ships. More air combat would be needed, it would be awesome. Then we could have players who are apart of squads be given M1 carbines call in the runs and the Storches could be FACS.  ;) :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
Possible combination upgrades:

German goon and German paratrooper skins:

+

Russian goon and Russian paratrooper skins:

Lisunov Li-2 (Modified C-47?)

+

British goon and British paratrooper skins:

Ok .... it would be a Dakota (C-47)

+

Italian goon and Italian paratrooper skins:

SM.82

+

Japanese goon and Japanese paratroops:

+

Not that it would necessarily require modeling the aircraft. Since three of those nations operated versions of the C-47 there could just be skins that also change the skins of the troops, perhaps. Although I would like to see the JU-52 modeled. The SM.82 could be modeled alongside the SM.79.

Another alternative could be a skin dropdown selection near the drunks themselves ... or a radio button selection.

I wouldn't see much need for all this without expanded roles for the drunks, though.

And I could see a reason to allow formations for goons.

:D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
Additional inspirational pics:

Fallschirmjäger

My caption for the above "A week before Germany surrendered the Fallschirmjäger began practicing a new jump."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
The Italians

(Apparently there was an Italian version of Gomer Pyle - Gomerio Pylio)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
The Russians

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »
The Japanese

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 04:58:08 AM »
Great pics Arlo.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
It is seldom that I throw in a new wish (and oft I play devils advocate, regarding other wishes) but, and let me preface with my having no clue about how hard this would be to code, what about expanding the role of drunks in the game?

Right now our paratroopers/mobile infantry have but one job (and they do it rather well) - capture a maproom. What if they could be coded to maintain either a defensive or offensive perimeter? The option would be selected at the time of loadout (capture/perimeter). On a defensive footing, they could be distributed around town to perhaps intercept invading paratroopers. On an offensive footing they could be dropped anywhere on the map to attack enemy ground vehicles when they get within a certain range (I reckon this would require coding a bazooka or panzerfaust). Another possibility would be a minefield loadout (with a set period of time before it disables itself).

It would also be cool to see the drunks skinned by the delivery vehicle country of origin.

Eh, just a thought. No crisis without.  :D
:airplane: Great pic's and they show a lot of history to ponder!!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »

By selecting the option of 'combat deployment' troops will set a static perimeter instead of running
to capture the map room. This has both an offensive and defensive advantage. Also, infantry ground
combat may be staged for events.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
great idea, if added I'd like napalm in the same update.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »
great idea, if added I'd like napalm in the same update.
+1000000! :aok
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »

;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 01:34:27 AM »
With the current ten man 'squad' in AHII, ground troop organization could extend to a 30 man platoon.
Essentially, if goons are allowed to operate in formation a play may deploy troops in platoon strength.
Furthermore, the duties of squads and platoons may be selected as 'capture' (the current function),
'Rifle' (static deployment, all rifles, 300 yd range per man), Anti-tank (2 men are assigned a bazooka -
range 100 yds) or Mortar (3 men are assigned a mortar - range 3000 yds). Anti-tank may cripple but
not destroy heavy tanks. Lighter vehicles may be destroyed. Mortars or for stand off attacks on enemy
infantry. Capture, Rifle, Anti-tank and Mortar may be mixed and matched.

If deploying troops via ground vehicle, they may only be deployed as single squads (or three man 'fire teams'
via jeep).

The time limit for troops on the ground would be 30 minutes unless re-supplied. Re-supplied troops re-start
the timer to 30 minutes. Re-supplied troops would not have lost troops replenished. The resupply area is
1000 yds from the crate and all surviving squad members will have their times re-started if even just one
falls within the resupply zone.

One of the best methods of deployment may be a circular drop. Remember, troops will stay static upon
landing. Of course, one may choose to deploy in lines, even increase the delay, if a scouting line is desired.
Troops will report to the player 'enemy ground units sighted' one the enemy is encountered. This audio
message will only be received by the deploying player. If that player logs off or disconnects without reconnecting
during the active deployment of their ground troops, no other friendly player will receive the message.