Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 3403 times)

Offline bubba

• Zinc Member
Collisions
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:21 AM »
As i am not a very good pilot, i do get lucky now and then. I have noticed that when my plane collides with another i am the one who usually goes down, and the other plane either flies off or is still in the fight. I have noticed it when others do the same while i am flying on their wing or at co-alt. I, me, my opinion is when two planes collide why not make them both go down?
Monty Midcap

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:44 AM »
Its all been talked about a lot has this but basically this wont happen because on the other guys screen you might not have have had a colision, with net lag and other things to take into consideration what you see on your screen might not be what the guy you collided with is seeing.  

Although it can be frustrating at times the collision model does work  :salute
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:03:34 AM »
Because there are 4 planes.

Your plane and the enemy plane. both of you then have a clone on the other persons computer. In the ideal world, both clones would occupy the exact same space as their master. Sadly because of lag this cannot happen, so the clones drift around near where the master is.

So on your screen his clone is hitting you, on his screen you are 50ft to the right passing cleanly. If you made it so both pilots went down you would suddenly find people ramming into your plane when you can see them 20-70ft in front of your gun sight.

Also here is an older thread on the matter.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,343827.0.html

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »

You were trying to Ho in a spit weren't you.   :furious
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Larokkit

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
"So on your screen his clone is hitting you, on his screen you are 50ft to the right passing cleanly. If you made it so both pilots went down you would suddenly find people ramming into your plane when you can see them 20-70ft in front of your gun sight."
  this is obviously what is affecting my gunnery also and needs to be fixed. I know im a better shot than i am !  )

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
Collisions:
What a player sees on their screen is what happens. If you collide with something/someone, you take damage. If you do not collide, you do not take damage. So basically, if your game engine sees that your plane touched another plane, you will take damage. If the other plane's game engine (the other guy's screen) doesn't see that his plane touched your plane, he won't take damage.

Gunnery:
What the "shooter" sees is what happens. If you shoot at someone and your game engine registers a hit, that info is sent to the other player's game engine and he sees/hears/feels the hits. You are shooting at what is on your screen, not "the clone that's flying around somewhere near the master". Because of the delay of the Internet, it's very possible that someone will get hit (and even blow up) even though on their screen the other plane never had a guns solution.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
"So on your screen his clone is hitting you, on his screen you are 50ft to the right passing cleanly. If you made it so both pilots went down you would suddenly find people ramming into your plane when you can see them 20-70ft in front of your gun sight."
  this is obviously what is affecting my gunnery also and needs to be fixed. I know im a better shot than i am !  )
Sorry, but this actually makes gunnery slightly easier as your target's evasives are slightly delayed by lag.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
I have, at times, had success with ran aileron roll.  It seems to work better with the P47.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:26 PM »
Just fly with your eyes closed...if you don't see it, it didn't happen  :noid
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
I recently attacked a set of B17's flown by a veteran player, IraqVet, and one of his aircraft went down after he got a collision message and he complained to me about my lack of ability etc. etc. etc.  I responded that I had not received a collision message, had heard no impact and received no damage, therefore "I" had not made a collision mistake as he suggested.  I've read all the threads on collisions and knew I was right so I suggested he did not know how the collision coding worked, but he vehemently disagreed.  I was awarded 3 kills because he bailed the other 2 after the "collision".  I found this quite humorous and still do.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
Y'know...  I've been thinking a fair bit on collisions over the last while.  I know how it works, I know it's technically possible to use it to your advantage although I believe it's not consistent enough to be anything approaching a reliable means of attacking another airplane.

What makes me curious about it is, I've played a couple other MMO shooter type games lately, mostly Planetside 2.  You can run into other vehicles there.  That I know of, the damage is symmetrical there.  I crash into you, we both take damage.

Is it due to the relatively low closing speeds and slower gameplay that they can make it work?  The other similar flight sims to this don't have collisions, do they?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline manglex1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
To be completely honest, I think that if either plane registers a hit both should take damage. If I were flying against someone in real life it doesn't matter who hit who, both of us are still going down. Just don't put yourself in a position where a collision is even remotely possible. I understand that many might not agree, but it's my 0.02.  :salute

edit: spelling  :cry

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »
To be completely honest, I think that if either plane registers a hit both should take damage. If I were flying against someone in real life it doesn't matter who hit who, both of us are still going down. Just don't put yourself in a position where a collision is even remotely possible. I understand that many might not agree, but it's my 0.02.  :salute

That would have consequences exactly opposite to 'real life', exactly opposite what you are hoping for.
You simply can't do it 'just like RL' because the underlying reality is fundamentally different. In AH we have two realities with 4 planes. You can't just ignore that.

What you are really whishing for is an internet without lag, that would make a collision model entirely "like real life" possible.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:20:01 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »

edit: spelling  :cry

With that scenario, you could avoid a collision and then blow up because the other player did not avoid it.  I am certain that would be far worse.

Right now, all players have absolute control over colliding with another player.  Any change, such as the one you want, would take control away from you.

If you avoid the collision, you take no damage.  Right now, your computer assigns the damage to your plane if you intersect another object.

If we could guarantee the position of every object, on every computer was in the exact same 3D location, then the exact thing you want would happen with the existing code in place.  There is no way to absolutely insure the location of moving objects, in 3D space, across the Internet.  It cannot be done as every packet latency changes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
To be completely honest, I think that if either plane registers a hit both should take damage.

that's because you don't understand how collisions work in Aces High
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.