Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 3404 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »
I've seen your picture and understand the "4 realities". But you have to agree that at some point the server either does or does not record flight paths crossing. A collision should not occur unless the server (which sees bullets hit a target in 4 realities) sees two flight paths cross (in 4 realities).

If you can track a bullet's flight path to a moving target and record a hit or miss, you can track something 1,000 times larger moving 10 times slower. If you can follow a peanut, you can follow an elephant being hit with the peanut.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »
I've seen your picture and understand the "4 realities". But you have to agree that at some point the server either does or does not record flight paths crossing. A collision should not occur unless the server (which sees bullets hit a target in 4 realities) sees two flight paths cross (in 4 realities).

If you can track a bullet's flight path to a moving target and record a hit or miss, you can track something 1,000 times larger moving 10 times slower. If you can follow a peanut, you can follow an elephant being hit with the peanut.

See my previous post. The server sees nothing. It merely transmits what everyone's game running on their computers sees and tells everyone else that information. You are playing a client-based game that is hosted on (coordinated by) a central server. The game is not running on the server, and the server is not a referee to interpret anything.

If my assertion is wrong, then someone from HTC will correct me.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »

Which would have the net effect of turning collisions 'off' 90% of the time.  If both had to collide for a collision to register, it would not happen in most circumstances.  In my opinion, collisions off would be an extraordinarily bad step for the game, as it would result in even more 'point pipper at guy and go in guns blazing' type gameplay because collisions would be exceedingly rare.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
I understand "the system" does not see a collision (in 4 realities). What I'm saying is "the system" is broken and needs to be addressed. It's a huge problem.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
1. - Both get damaged  all the time. Which means you will get a lot of "collisions" when you have clearly avoided the enemy plane, sometimes even by hundred yards or more.

2. - No one gets damaged unless both FE's see a collision. That would introduce an almost random feature, with US players getting more likely to end up in a collision than more distant ones

3. - What you see is what you get. If there's a collision on your screen, you take damage. If there's a collision on your enemy's screen, he takes damage.

These are the 3 options, pick one ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
RTHolmes nailed it.  Except, that number 2 would result in virtually no collisions at all, even if a plane flies through another one.

Even if the servers do all the flying for the client, it does not solve the time displacement issue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:55:28 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
I understand "the system" does not see a collision (in 4 realities). What I'm saying is "the system" is broken and needs to be addressed. It's a huge problem.
You don't seem to understand.  Really, you don't.

You seem to think that if there is a collision on one system, there will inevitably be a collision on the other system at a slight delay and currently only the first system takes damage.  This is wrong.

The paths don't matter, all that matters is the points on the paths that are the planes and the time delay means that only rarely do collisions happen on both systems (when they do both player's planes take damage) because of this.  Imagine an intersection with two alternate realities.  In one Bob enters the intersection at 12:34:01 at 75 mph and Jane enters the intersection, crossing Bob's path, also at 12:34:01 at 75mph and in that reality they collide.  In the other Bob was slightly slower accelerating from the last red light and enters the intersection at 12:34:03 at 75 mph and Jane still enters the intersection, crossing Bob's path, at 12:34:01 at 75mph and in this reality Jane passes just in front of Bob, no collision.  The fact that the paths in both realities were the same doesn't matter at all.

Now, to add complication, the paths won't be exactly the same either...
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
RTHolmes nailed it.

I'd like to take credit but I actually just quoted Snail's post above ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
I can understand this question being brought up from time to time by a newb. But do we really need to re-hash this subject ad nauseum every couple of months amongst the vets? Come on guys! Look--it is what it is. Until somebody invents a perfect-global-real-time-internet, the whole both planes getting damage thing just ain't gonna happen.  I understand the system and I also understand something else that ties it all together. That is my connection to the game servers is different from a guy playing in Australia's is and is different again from a guy's in Europe. Currently nothing's gonna change that fact. Simple as that. It's not like this started last week. Deal with it already for dryin out loud! :rolleyes:
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
I have a had time getting people attack my bombers where and how are you flying?

The most common situation where this happens is over Bish strats. The Jugs get numerous passes on me as the .50's don't take down a drone on a single slash, and thus numerous opportunities to collide.

Usually what happens is the jug doesn't dive steep enough to where he has angle to get the shot and pull away to miss colliding with me (from my viewpoint.) I understand that what he's seeing is that he does have room to slash - fire/pull-out in time to miss, but I get the damage from his collision. So now I've got damage from his guns and damage from him colliding into me and he has none. All this because in this instance AH says that I collided with him. Occasionally the miscalculation on the slash will result in two collisions and damage to both of us, it just usually isn't that case. I guess my argument would be, why am I getting damage from these instances? There is absolutely nothing I can do to avoid it, that is if I can't shoot him down first.

I understand it's the tech/lag that and also the fact of the virtual speed at which AH objects approach each other is responsible for this and don't know what to do about it. I haven't thought this one through and there could be a double edge to it, but maybe remove damage to bombers when a collision happens with a fighter at the rear of the plane?

:salute
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:42:36 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
bear in mind that your bombers have the advantage of considerably higher speed than historically, so the jug will get fewer passes on you ... in this instance what the game takes away with one hand, it gives back with the other.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
Come on guys! Look--it is what it is. Until somebody invents a perfect-global-real-time-internet, the whole both planes getting damage thing just ain't gonna happen.  I understand the system and I also understand something else that ties it all together. That is my connection to the game servers is different from a guy playing in Australia's is and is different again from a guy's in Europe. Currently nothing's gonna change that fact. Simple as that.

a good argument for increased funding in theoretical physics :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
a good argument for increased funding in theoretical physics :D

I have little doubt there's probably multiple teams of geeks working on that right now but it's probably not gonna get done in time for the next patch.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »
bear in mind that your bombers have the advantage of considerably higher speed than historically, so the jug will get fewer passes on you ... in this instance what the game takes away with one hand, it gives back with the other.

So you are saying bomber speed is not realistic?

You did read that this happens over strats right?

I've had one player up 4 times to come back for me, and several up 2 to 3 times to come back and finish me off.

My bombers have no advantage whatsoever when deep inside enemy territory. Yes, I know I put myself there.

I could bomb and bail like some others, maybe this is part of why they do it?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
well I dont know what settings you were using, but if its above long range auto-lean settings (eg. ~150mph IAS in B17s) like almost all AH buff pilots use, then yes, they are faster than historical speeds.
71 (Eagle) Squadron