Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 28798 times)

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
War Thunder
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:50:00 AM »
Alright well first I have a question which game is better Aces High or War Thunder? Now I'm gonna try not to get emotional because I flipping love Aces High. Anyway the only reason I'm bringing this up is because I got some 17 year old kid thinking he knows ACM, the history of flight, history of aerial warfare, and all of the above. Just because he has been playing War Thunder for the past 2 weeks. I recommended Aces High well because it's a good game, since he liked aerial combat. Then he tells me "That game doesn't even look half as good as War Thunder, plus it doesn't have as many planes". Which didn't sit well with me, anyway if anybody wants to spill their 2 cents about this I would appreciate any form of feedback. Actually just spill your entire coin purse I wanna hear what you all have to say. 
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:00:22 AM »
Here its is. War thunder is pretty...and that's it. here is a video I shot from it when a guy talked me into playing it during beta. When flying from first person you cant look backwards, infinite ammo, fuel, bombs. Heck during training they had me dropping torps from a Swordfish at 500 ft Minimum under AA fire any lower you drown the fish. I was flying a pre war bird in Beta against 51s, beaufighters, late war 109s and even some jets. It had its moments but it will never outdo AH at what it does. Now if you just love to point and click with your mouse then this is for you. In the video I think I should have been able to out maneuver a 109 pretty easy and the guns are default zeroed at 600 "Meters" crazy. I just couldn't hit the guy and I should have it was a good fight but boy was I upset I didn't get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6oiZgNT2MU&list=PL7VvGQQXDHVDfPEaeSJDGMYwcP2Jxv9Fi&index=2

edit: It also flew like crap maybe that was to make you move up in planes, I played it about 12 hours or so I found it a challenge and interesting at first then all its flaws just killed it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:04:08 AM by Vudu15 »
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:11:46 AM »
Aces High is a simulator.

War Thunder is a plane based video game.

As for the 17yo - just challenge him to 1 on 1 in AH, let him fly whatever he wants - Zeke, Spitfire etc , let him pick your plane and show him how you cak kick his bellybutton using E tactics. Should be quite an education for him :)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:07:44 AM »
Stay away from the Arcade mode, and you'll be fine.

The cpits are a fantastic place to sit and fight in and the immersion is excellent. The FX are what I have cried for AH to have since I made a post about it in2010. Considering that War blunder is using a Graphics engine of Wing of Prey (2008), kind makes my smile a little.

Full Real Battles are pretty good, I recommend hooking up with some AH players that have picked it up also.
Limited ammo and fuel are in this mode. And the Cpit view is forced, you can't look around too well because the game simulates you being strapped into the seat (and I challenge anyone you rotate their head 360'). Convergence can be adjusted as well as bullet type loadouts; from AP to HE rounds etc.

My problem with War blunder is the obvious Russian bias. Lagg3, La5 and 7 are insanely good, stupidly so. The 109F and E cant outturn either, even on full flaps. Also the 109E has the ata from a 109F, the G2 + F has 109E ata, the 109Es ammo counter doesn't work, so the game has a number of flaws.

The weather and the air feel a lot more realistic (AcesHigh air is so dense it feels like your flying through soup just point and you go), the transition into the clouds shakes you a little.
The ack is more realistic and hardly get any clean hits, but the shells exploding around you cause shock waves that shake you around a little.

People will argue that War blunder is poor because it looks pretty and the flight model is terrible, but they have only flown in Arcade (where the flight model is dumbed down for the children).
FRB is where it's at, and there is no horde which is a big plus. But you need a good pair of eyes because there is no icon in that mode, or stall horn for that matter.
AH players will find it a difficult transition without the AH Stall Horn to rely on.

It's a decent game and an acceptable alternative to AcesHigh. Plus if you like Early war like I do, you can get away with never having to pay a penny for the damn thing <G>
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:30:29 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:58 AM »
i play ROF and AH and got a beta invite for WarThunder dont know why :)

I deleted after a week and I will try ought for free :rofl

In AH you log on and take off :)

ROF is the same :)

War Thunder is worse then Birds of Prey for gibberish :old:

Eye candy is smoke and mirrors for poo game play :)

I am even more awesome this week then last week :old:

I know its unbelievable but true :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »
i wonder if anyone has noticed that all the planes fly exactly the same in warturder...

Stay away from the Arcade mode, and you'll be fine.

The cpits are a fantastic place to sit and fight in and the immersion is excellent. The FX are what I have cried for AH to have since I made a post about it in2010. Considering that War blunder is using a Graphics engine of Wing of Prey (2008), kind makes my smile a little.

Full Real Battles are pretty good, I recommend hooking up with some AH players that have picked it up also.
Limited ammo and fuel are in this mode. And the Cpit view is forced, you can't look around too well because the game simulates you being strapped into the seat (and I challenge anyone you rotate their head 360'). Convergence can be adjusted as well as bullet type loadouts; from AP to HE rounds etc.
how did you get into full real battles? i've been trying for weeks and it's always "this mode is not available at this time". if i have to pay for it, forget it, not worth the effort considering the flight models, damage calculations and the fact that if you're outside of that stupid little aiming guide, you don't hit anything at all. where are you adjusting convergence? i've poked everywhere and can't find anything to adjust.

i've figured out how to look straight back using my hat switch. it's just getting it to do it consistently that is a pain. i'd rather be able to do a look over the shoulder but there is now way to do it. the game was designed for keyboard/mouse or game controller, that's obvious from looking at the controls section.

The weather and the air feel a lot more realistic (AcesHigh air is so dense it feels like your flying through soup just point and you go), the transition into the clouds shakes you a little.
The ack is more realistic and hardly get any clean hits, but the shells exploding around you cause shock waves that shake you around a little.
you're playing a totally different game then...i've seen nothing to even match that description.

FRB is where it's at, and there is no horde which is a big plus. But you need a good pair of eyes because there is no icon in that mode, or stall horn for that matter.
AH players will find it a difficult transition without the AH Stall Horn to rely on.
again, where or how are you getting into full real? just judging from the controls, it looks to me like "full real" means nothing more than engine management...just like il2.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
My problem with War blunder is the obvious Russian bias. Lagg3, La5 and 7 are insanely good, stupidly so. The 109F and E cant outturn either, even on full flaps. Also the 109E has the ata from a 109F, the G2 + F has 109E ata, the 109Es ammo counter doesn't work, so the game has a number of flaws.

I keep hearing this over and over.  Not sure I could stick around very long if that was the case.  Devs will always get things wrong, but I wouldn't be optimistic that this will ever be fixed.  When patriotism spills over into game design it usually sticks around.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
To get full real battles I'm pretty sure you have to be a level 4 or higher.

FRB is where you will see everything I have talked about.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
I can't play it cause it has no snap views. Makes me feel like a cat in a sack.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
dolby don't let them fool you with all these FRB  nonsense it is still a turd dressed up for friday night.   

If that is enough for you to enjoy it then more power to you but I would feel like a cheap hooker pretending that it is any sort of realistic interpretation of a MMOPG WW2 flight sim.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
You have to get to level 4 before it becomes realistic :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

What a load of gibberish :)

Do i have to stand on my head and do a silly dance as well , then eat meatballs and pasta to play a flight sim :rofl

Is it Eastern European?

Rise of Flight was appalling until a colonial took control of the company :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
To get full real battles I'm pretty sure you have to be a level 4 or higher.

FRB is where you will see everything I have talked about.
do the flight models get any better? i thought il2 was bad but, holy cow warturder is worse. every plane you jump into has the exact same feel, maneuverability, damage calculations and from what i've experienced, speed...i'm at level 3 hoping it gets better but, so far that is not the case.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
I can't play it cause it has no snap views. Makes me feel like a cat in a sack.

Snap Views!? Ha, War Thunder works now officialy with the Oculus Rift! Who needs outdated Snap views   :lol
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
I think it's funny that people who play WT refuse to play AHII solely because the graphics aren't the same.  :rofl If they just gave AH a try (you get 2 weeks FREE!) they'd see just how fun this game is. I don't care if AHII ever gets a new graphics engine, I will not stop playing this game.

I'm downloading WT to try it out and see for myself what differences there are. I'm very curious with all the back and forth going on.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »
Alright well first I have a question which game is better Aces High or War Thunder? Now I'm gonna try not to get emotional because I flipping love Aces High. Anyway the only reason I'm bringing this up is because I got some 17 year old kid thinking he knows ACM, the history of flight, history of aerial warfare, and all of the above. Just because he has been playing War Thunder for the past 2 weeks. I recommended Aces High well because it's a good game, since he liked aerial combat. Then he tells me "That game doesn't even look half as good as War Thunder, plus it doesn't have as many planes". Which didn't sit well with me, anyway if anybody wants to spill their 2 cents about this I would appreciate any form of feedback. Actually just spill your entire coin purse I wanna hear what you all have to say. 

Just tell him have fun playing War Thunder and move on.  Honestly, who cares if he thinks War Thunder is better than AH?  Does what he think stop you from enjoying AH?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song