Author Topic: Wondring  (Read 4661 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Wondring
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
To me, those other pics look very unrealistic compared to the AH pics (as if they were paintings, not real life).  Some games go for an over vibrant, Hollywood look, which isn't realistic.  I think that our perception of realistic look in AH is heavily dependent on clouds/weather (having some realistic clouds and, if winter, sky color makes a significant difference -- see many clouds setups below), terrain (depends on terrain designer -- see Stalin's Fourth shots below), and skins (of course).

Stalin's Fourth

(Image removed from quote.)

Weather and other terrains

I don't know how it can be considered more realistic when the fires, hit sprites, and water all look terrible. Three of 6 things that we see the most in game. Planes/vehicles, sky, land, fire, hit sprites/weapon effects, and water. The gameplay is fine, it's near perfect actually. Everything else could use more work. Also all those nice terrains that are used in scenarios and SEA are not implemented in the MA.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »
Also all those nice terrains that are used in scenarios and SEA are not implemented in the MA.

Should they be?  :D

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
Should they be?  :D

Sure, figure out how to fit 3 countries on those terrains. Or update the MA maps visually. I'm sure you can figure out a way Arlo. We'll be waiting for the results. Shoo, go now.

semp

Online Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
Well silly me i mean BFBC2 but that statement is false if bandar desert is the biggest. Exact size of the BFBC2 map heavy metal is something like 34 miles long.
But you hit the nail on the head on this statement

I would point you at this site to review that terrain and the other Battle Field # terrains: http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Gameinfo.Detail&id=310

If you click on the 'thumb nail', for Heavy Metal, you'll be taken to a 2048x2048 image of what's apparently the whole map. Then, judging from the buildings and roads, a pixel is probably around 4 feet but being generous, let's use 5 feet per pixel.

2048 x 5 feet = 10240 feet / 5280 feet = 1.94 miles on a side.

That makes your Heavy Metal terrain under 2 miles x 2 miles square!

For those who might be interested and know something about AH terrains:

Going from the current 1/2 mile vertices to 1/4 mile vertices would make a huge difference in the terrain, but at the current 14 mile viewing range, that's a 400% increase in graphics load! I would love that, but the game would be a ghost town.

A possible alternative?

AH currently uses a 1 mile x 1 mile cell in its terrains. If that were changed to a 1 kilometer x 1 kilometer cell, you could accomplish reasonable visual benefit at a 260% increase in graphics load. The problems and questions start immediately. All the terrains and tiles (airfields, cities, etc) and especially some of the objects would need to be rebuilt! Force scaling of the terrains might help the process. Would all distances shift to metric? You have to wonder what would be the final terrain size, ~318 miles? Any shortcuts in the ground collision model would be compromised. I imagine it would be a huge undertaking, much worse then simply switching to 1/4 mile verts.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Sure, figure out how to fit 3 countries on those terrains. Or update the MA maps visually. I'm sure you can figure out a way Arlo. We'll be waiting for the results. Shoo, go now.

*Sigh* I remember 21. Then again, I was more mature than this at 21.  ;)

Titanic, young friend, whine to the terrain builder of the specific map you want so badly in the MA.  Leave the 'shoo' attitude behind for best results. :)

http://www.hitechcreations.com/World-War-Two-Games/Terrains/Aces-High-Terrains.html (to help you along)  :aok

P.S. And, aamof, I'm working with terrain designers already - both to learn how and to discuss implementation.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:09:46 PM by Arlo »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
*Sigh* I remember 21. Then again, I was more mature than this at 21.  ;)

Titanic, young friend, whine to the terrain builder of the specific map you want so badly in the MA.  Leave the 'shoo' attitude behind for best results. :)

http://www.hitechcreations.com/World-War-Two-Games/Terrains/Aces-High-Terrains.html (to help you along)  :aok

P.S. And, aamof, I'm working with terrain designers already - both to learn how and to discuss implementation.  :cheers:

Old age =\= intelligence.

And who's whining? The thread wanted to discuss why AH looks outdated compared to newer games, I gave the main reason. And good for you, sorry I can't spend my whole day building terrains for a video game, I'm sure I'll find the time when I'm 40 and sitting at home all day.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
I'm sure I'll find the time when I'm 40 and sitting at home all day. (edited from: I'm sure I'll find the time when I'm 40 and unemployed.)

Instead of 21 and much the same? I'm rooting for you getting out of that rut. Then again, I'm rooting for my oldest step-son to do the same. When I was 40, I had time for work and play. Even now I do.  :)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
Brooke is right, they look like paintings;

So good they're a piece of art.

And these are off my i3, ATi Radeon 5770 card at 60fps.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
Instead of 21 and much the same? I'm rooting for you getting out of that rut. Then again, I'm rooting for my oldest step-son to do the same. When I was 40, I had time for work and play. Even now I do.  :)

Correct, now you have time to sit on this page and hit refresh every 5 seconds for a reply. And nah, I tend to enjoy my youth, sorry to ruin whatever your imagination was thinking of.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »
Brooke is right, they look like paintings;

So good they're a piece of art.

And these are off my i3, ATi Radeon 5770 card at 60fps.

Is that your priority? Screenshot art of a game that doesn't play like AHII? Do you really find the play of those games as fun as AHII? Will you be bored with that game in 12 years? 2years? 6 months?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
Correct, now you have time to sit on this page and hit refresh every 5 seconds for a reply. And nah, I tend to enjoy my youth, sorry to ruin whatever your imagination was thinking of.

Son, I don't waste my imagination on you. I may recommend you try the same, in turn.  :aok

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Put AH and that together, and you'll have a game so good that it's subscribers would need tissues at all times just incase of premature.. er.. accidents.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
Son, I don't waste my imagination on you. I may recommend you try the same, in turn.  :aok

Prune juice and Depends takes up half of your thoughts clearly.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
Prune juice and Depends takes up half of your thoughts clearly.

And .... you're fixated.

Was that a 5 second refresh response?  :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Put AH and that together, and you'll have a game so good that it's subscribers would need tissues at all times just incase of premature.. er.. accidents.

Not ... the visual image that sells.  :lol