Author Topic: Its getting lonely in here! Aussie time is dead in MA.  (Read 5279 times)

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
Re: Its getting lonely in here! Aussie time is dead in MA.
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »
It is the business model that can't compete with today's games.
Many of the popular new games are free to play, but you pay to get benefits. 

team fortress 2 with the hats. $2,000 on some hats and some people have multiples.
i dont think the world is ready for an AH with hats. maybe scarves, or bomber jackets. not hats.

free to play really would increase numbers, but if it makes it profitable i am not sure.
also, the ps4/xbox-1 consoles would solve all the pc-hardware problems with some people playing only on lowest settings.

if bf3/bf4 can have such amazing graphics with millions of bullets flying around (at 64-player servers!)on console-hardware, AH should be able to do the same.

just need to employ openmp or other auto-parallelization compile-time tools.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
Too bad HTC can't grow money on trees.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2013, 02:19:31 AM »
Getting onto steam would be a big improvement, i'm sure they would lose money paying steam, but the added customer income should more than make up for it.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline beefie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2013, 04:14:59 AM »
I have a money tree is grows when i spend money to make money, its the only way it works. If this is let to go on with no other way to get new blood on the game then its a dying weed.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2013, 05:55:57 AM »
Too bad HTC can't grow money on trees.
If he could it would be titanium money and would flip a 50 ton tank and stop Ap rounds  :D
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2013, 08:34:01 AM »
I have a money tree is grows when i spend money to make money, its the only way it works. If this is let to go on with no other way to get new blood on the game then its a dying weed.

Ive noticed with Aussies its always easy to notice when they are posting when bloody sozzled. Above is Beefie posting drunk.

Below is a sober Beefie, or relatively. Meet Beefie.  http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/4364125/Drunk+Aussie/

The H2H free servers was my intro to ace highs about 12 years ago now and it was a great thing as i could learn the curve from helpful people back then like ARTLAWS,  after a few months i felt like i had a skill level where I could have fun with in the MA. The cost looking at all other options would have to make free H2H servers like aces used to have the best bang for the bucks as its all in-house and pretty much free for HT.

It would also have more players at 16 max than MA in Aussie time as that would be about the same numbers as we play on our time in AU NZ, also smaller maps, less world of tank type action in small arenas.

The big draw would be to get new blood into the game and also have a smaller map for player that also pay but cant find any action. The saving grace of HT has been things like FSO without that the numbers would be half again. i love FSO and its the only reason i still have an account even though i have to play with some TOOLS its OK as they cant banter on crap on open channel in FSO  Excited

It could also make a lot of people that haven't played in years come back and play again then open a account up after the fun and upgrades or it could do the opposite and make paying players drop paid accounts in favor of free servers? but at the moment the life span of aces high is about 1 year before its near empty so it cant hurt to try something.

Or do a world of tanks thing that seems to work, make the game free and make people pay for upgrades, it seems to work for that game well and seeing some people on aces that will do just about anything and go to any length for a few stars next to their name i imagine some players would near fund 100 accounts for the need to kick everyones bellybutton with advatage. Also make it so everyone has to work up to better plans as this would also increase the skill and time people will spend on to get the next plane/tank etc.

Or like some suggested a referral program maybe as its cheap to setup and really doesn't cost anything to do once players use it and sign up, or make the loud mouth tools pay double and give us nice Aussies/ kiwi's a free game because we are nice and not toolie.  Hehe!

<S>
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
I think a free to play system could work, just not sure how the coading would go.

Lets say the free players login and have the option to fly  a limited set of planes/vehicles.

FM2
F4U-1
P-40B
P47-11
109-F4
A6M3
Spit9

Osty
Panzer

JU87
B26
Boston

A mix of planes and vehicles, but nothing that would be over powering in the game. Also a list of planes that few would give up paying the subscription they pay now to get on the "free" bandwagon. You can still play in the mains with everyone else, but you can only use this equipment. If you pay the subscription you get all the equipment that is available.

The free would bring in more folks to try the game. They would have an unlimited time to get the hang of it and to see what is available to the subscribers. How many would switch.... I don't know, but it shouldn't cost HTC any more for the servers as they are already in place and increase use should already be covered. Only the coad would need be worked over to bring the free players into the same world as the rest of us. Those that do switch over would cover that cost.

The advantages would be many. More players would boost numbers maybe even in those areas (Euro, Aust) that have the low numbers now. Possible increase in subscriptions as players look at all those Ponies and Spit 16s screaming around. I don't see a down side as I don't think many would cancel their subscriptions to play for free giving up all the "good" rides they enjoy now.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
HTC offers 2 weeks free now........and you get all the planes and GVs.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
I think a free to play system could work, just not sure how the coading would go.

Lets say the free players login and have the option to fly  a limited set of planes/vehicles.

(...)

I doubt that it would get a considerable number of new/additional players. I do, however, see the danger that with that list, many paying members could jump to the free account, especially some of the "seasoned" vets.

Being always short on money, I know I would ;)

--------------------------

Another general remark. It seems that some here may think that at offpeak, non us prime time it's only non-us players flying and fighting. And the lack of numbers at that time is caused by a lack of non-us players.
I don't think that's correct. There have always been a lot Americans around at those times as well, possibly even the majority? It's overall numbers that went down compared to the Golden Days. It's just more notable at off-peak times, because the gameplay is affected much more strongly when the attendance drops a certain "minimum" level.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
It doesn't help when there's 100 people in the arena and half of them are in GVs. The other 1/4 is either afk or doing milk runs at 30K. And the other 1/4 are flying around looking for fights that doesn't happen for another 6 hours.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2013, 09:56:18 AM »
HTC offers 2 weeks free now........and you get all the planes and GVs.

That would change. You could still use ALL the planes/vehicles off line, but on line free players would be limited to just good enough equipment to bomb, jabo, and fight with to get a good taste. We all know 2 weeks is long enough to get you frustrated more than "hooked"

I doubt that it would get a considerable number of new/additional players. I do, however, see the danger that with that list, many paying members could jump to the free account, especially some of the "seasoned" vets.

Being always short on money, I know I would ;)

Free is a big draw and as I said I doubt the change would cost HTC much to try it. As for those subscribers that jump to the free side I don't think there would be many. Money would be a good reason to do so, but again I don't think there would be many and of those that do I'm sure once they could spend $15 even if it is only for that month they would, just to get those planes that could catch those bombers making milk runs at high alt  :noid

Offline Zed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
I'm an occasional player.  It's worth $15 to me for the realistic flight model.  I like the fact that the game is mostly played by adults, too.   I'm fine with the graphics.  I also think there are enough planes and tanks to choose from.   The one significant problem I have is with the maps.  They are too large for the number of players on.   Much smaller maps would be a real positive, IMHO. 

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
I'm an occasional player.  It's worth $15 to me for the realistic flight model.  I like the fact that the game is mostly played by adults, too.   I'm fine with the graphics.  I also think there are enough planes and tanks to choose from.   The one significant problem I have is with the maps.  They are too large for the number of players on.   Much smaller maps would be a real positive, IMHO. 
I agree with this. I think with the smaller maps and bringing back the old strat factories with GV spawns to them and trains would solve alot of these low number problems we're having.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
I'm sure once they could spend $15 even if it is only for that month they would, just to get those planes that could catch those bombers making milk runs at high alt  :noid

Hardly anybody does that anyway, so it won't be that much of a "loss" to them ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »

FM2
F4U-1
P-40B
P47-11
109-F4
A6M3
Spit9

Osty
Panzer

JU87
B26
Boston

A mix of planes and vehicles, but nothing that would be over powering in the game. Also a list of planes that few would give up paying the subscription they pay now to get on the "free" bandwagon. You can still play in the mains with everyone else, but you can only use this equipment. If you pay the subscription you get all the equipment that is available.

The free would bring in more folks to try the game. They would have an unlimited time to get the hang of it and to see what is available to the subscribers. How many would switch.... I don't know, but it shouldn't cost HTC any more for the servers as they are already in place and increase use should already be covered. Only the coad would need be worked over to bring the free players into the same world as the rest of us. Those that do switch over would cover that cost.

The advantages would be many. More players would boost numbers maybe even in those areas (Euro, Aust) that have the low numbers now. Possible increase in subscriptions as players look at all those Ponies and Spit 16s screaming around. I don't see a down side as I don't think many would cancel their subscriptions to play for free giving up all the "good" rides they enjoy now.

Woohooo... I'd play for free.

Your list just happens to include everything I spend the most time in.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.