Author Topic: Autopilot Wingman Mode for Bomber Formations  (Read 3467 times)

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
Autopilot Wingman Mode for Bomber Formations
« on: July 30, 2013, 02:20:18 AM »
Let's start a thread on this new, very powerful feature, in particular for bombing runs with multiple pilot formations.  It seems to be somewhat of a mystery and I'm not seeing it used much yet, so I'll start things off as best I understand the feature and please add or correct anything I get wrong or leave out.

This feature allows a formation of pilots to select a wingleader and then move into an advantageous position to that wingleader and then lock in the position of your planes relative to his.  At that point the wingleader is now flying all planes in the formation.  One huge advantage to this is that when you go to your guns the formations won't drift apart and you have the advantage of concentrated fire from all planes in the formation.  The second big advantage is the ability to carpet bomb.  The wingleader calibrates his bombsight while the other pilots man their guns, then on the command of the wingleader all pilots can jump to the pilots position (F1) and drop their bombs.  No need for each pilot to calibrate their bomb sight as the wingleader has effectively calibrated for all of the planes in the formation when he calibrates his bomb sight.

If you are the wingleader you will need to throttle back about 10% which allows the other planes in the formation to adjust to your movements.  If you are full throttle, the other planes have nothing left to make small adjustments in their speed to hold their position relative to the wingleader.

This feature is very simple to use and setup:

1. First you must map the Autopilot Wingman Mode on your keyboard.  Here is how to do it:
    A. Go to "Options" on your clipboard
    B. Select "Controls"
    C. Select "Map Keys"
    D. Select "Flight" on the left lower side of the keyboard display that will pop up
    E. Select "Autopilot Wingman Mode"
    F. Hold down the CRTL and W keys at the same time (they will both light up)
    G. Press "Set Key"
    H. Done!

You should only need to set CRTL-W once and you should be ready to go each time you start AH.

Here is a practical application of the above, but there are many more.  You have 5 bomber pilots heading to a target to help bring it down, let's name them:
John
Tom
Dick
Harry
Pete

It is decided John will be the wingleader of the formation, so the other four pilots each use the dot command in the text buffer ".wingman John" (without the quotation marks).
The other four pilots will see John's icon turn white indicating the wingman command has been engaged.
John cuts his throttle by 10% (or goes to "Normal Cruise" rpms and manifold pressure).  This allows the other pilots to move into position around John.

For example let's say Tom moves 200 yards to John's left, and Dick moves 200 yards to John's right forming a shallow "V" formation.  Harry moves directly behind and above John by 400 yards, and Pete moves directly behind and below John by 400 yards.  Harry and Pete have filled in the gap in the rear of the "V" both high and low and all pilots can bring guns to bear on just about every angle of attack from interceptors and their entire formation is only about 400 yards in size.  As each pilot finds his position relative to John he holds down CRTL-W to turn on the Autopilot Wingman Mode and at that point John is now flying that pilot's planes.  To break the CRTL-W lock simply touch your joystick while in the pilots seat, or go to your bombsight and you are flying your own planes again.  This allows you to make adjustments to your position or bomb independently and then hit CRTL-W again when you are ready to lock back into the formation.

This holds the formation incredibly tight (as long as John doesn't make any radical maneuvers) allowing the other pilots to go to their guns without the formation drifting apart.  John can also set his autopilot and man his guns also.  Imagine the defensive fire of 5 B-17's holding this formation in route to their target.

Now the formation is nearing their target and they want to level the city at the strats or some other target.  Harry and Pete swing out of their high and low rear positions and take positions to the left and right of Tom and Dick.  The entire group adjusts the width of their formation to their liking and resets the Autopilot Wingman Mode by hitting CRTL-W again.  John is now flying all planes again, and this allows John to calibrate the center of the target while the other pilots keep a lookout from their gun positions or F3 knowing that the group will hit everything the width of two formations to the left and right of John.  Add more pilots and cut a wider path or split the formation to hit multiple targets.

I'll stop here and let others jump in with more and better ideas on how to use this powerful new command.  I have flown in these Wingman Autopilot Mode formations with devastating defensive and bombing results.  And then I have continued to fly with some groups that aren't using it with the usual results of being picked apart piecemeal by fighters as our formations drifted apart while we were in our guns either in route or over the target.  The difference is night and day.

P.S. I have also started a new squad "Rough Puppies" that will be running Wingman Autopilot Mode bombing raids to the Strats and in support of Base Captures. Send me a PM if you are interested or look me up in the MA :aok
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:54:21 AM by shoresroad »
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Bobcat81

• Copper Member
Re: Autopilot Wingman Mode for Bomber Formations
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:44 AM »
Good luck with the new squad. Which country? :)
-VIKING9- anti-horde
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - My Hero
Complacency is death.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »
I wonder who put these crazy ideas into your head badger!   :noid

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:26 AM »
Shores,  fine summary  :aok :aok

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
In carpet bombing, I wonder if lag would cause each pilot to drop a few seconds after the flight leader drops.

Is lag long enough to cause that?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Will Harry not be dropping directly onto Pete? :)

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
 Sounds to me like the strats wont be receiving much damage. Carpet bombing will not be effective, except for the few bombs that may find a target. My suggestion is to use it how the rest of the players in the game use it, and that is to get to target. Once, you are at the target for the love of god have everyone calibrate and drop on individual targets and meet up after runs.(unless you will be bombing my strats feel free to carpet bomb)
VDub

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »
In carpet bombing, I wonder if lag would cause each pilot to drop a few seconds after the flight leader drops.

Is lag long enough to cause that?

A few seconds is highly unlikely, until really crappy connections are involved.

I think on the factories (previously undamaged) and with the appropriate loadout it could actually work nicely.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
Carpet bombing will not be effective, except for the few bombs that may find a target

There are many scenarios where carpet bombing is used.  Or, if you are going for wide spread destruction you can carpet bomb and level a base "if" the formations are spaced correctly.  This new feature helps out greatly in those conditions.

Nice write up shore.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »
I find that flying at cruise will keep the formation intact during turns (and in general flight) much better than a mere 10% decrease in throttle.  The other thing I've noted is it's best to just auto climb individually to target alt before using the wingman command to prevent folks from falling behind due to the rocking that it puts you into.

The only downside is during bomb drop, as we are nice, straight and level target drones while waiting for the salvo to finish.  I made a wish little while ago about it;  If you .salvo your bombs (IE: .salvo 12), when you initiate the drop from either bombardier or pilot's seat, the bombs will continue to drop after you have jumped back into your guns.

All that being said, hope ye Rook.  We need dedicated raider's. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
This holds the formation incredibly tight (as long as John doesn't make any radical maneuvers) allowing the other pilots to go to their guns without the formation drifting apart.  John can also set his autopilot and man his guns also.  Imagine the defensive fire of 5 B-17's holding this formation in route to their target.
You mean the defensive fire of 15 B-17s. Players bring 3 each.

And this is my problem with the auto formation function. Buff guns are already way over effective. Drones were added to strengthen the defensive power of a single player and in addition giving him "3 strikes" before he gets the short trip to the tower. Combine drones formation with player auto formation and you get one ridiculous flying ack cloud. What started as a combat flight sim has shifted into too many things that do not include flying. Now even a bomber pilot does not actually fly his bomber, but slave them to another player. He is basically a gunner that brought 3 (3, not 2) drones with him.

My personal opinion is that this function should be enabled only if the player does not have drones with him.

Now for the fighters - how to attack such a formation?
Probably the best thing to do is to go for the leader first and aim for his wingtip. If he loses a wingtip his plane will tip over and hopefully will cause ALL formations slaved to him to roll over as well. If he is smart he will bail out immediately - if not, that could be hilarious to watch :)
Hopefully, if all 3 bombers of the leader are destroyed, the formation will start to disperse, especially if they were tilted when the last of the leader bombers died. I doubt they will be very fast in assigning a new leader and activating the auto formation on him.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
You mean the defensive fire of 15 B-17s. Players bring 3 each.

And this is my problem with the auto formation function. Buff guns are already way over effective. Drones were added to strengthen the defensive power of a single player and in addition giving him "3 strikes" before he gets the short trip to the tower. Combine drones formation with player auto formation and you get one ridiculous flying ack cloud. What started as a combat flight sim has shifted into too many things that do not include flying. Now even a bomber pilot does not actually fly his bomber, but slave them to another player. He is basically a gunner that brought 3 (3, not 2) drones with him.

My personal opinion is that this function should be enabled only if the player does not have drones with him.

Now for the fighters - how to attack such a formation?
Probably the best thing to do is to go for the leader first and aim for his wingtip. If he loses a wingtip his plane will tip over and hopefully will cause ALL formations slaved to him to roll over as well. If he is smart he will bail out immediately - if not, that could be hilarious to watch :)
Hopefully, if all 3 bombers of the leader are destroyed, the formation will start to disperse, especially if they were tilted when the last of the leader bombers died. I doubt they will be very fast in assigning a new leader and activating the auto formation on him.

:airplane: where in world did you get the idea that shooting off a wing tip would cause a B-17 to roll inverted! Won't happen! If you shoot off the amount of wing between 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, you might make it roll, but not if the pilot is up to snuff!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
Let's start a thread on this new, very powerful feature, in particular for bombing runs with multiple pilot formations.  It seems to be somewhat of a mystery and I'm not seeing it used much yet, so I'll start things off as best I understand the feature and please add or correct anything I get wrong or leave out.

This feature allows a formation of pilots to select a wingleader and then move into an advantageous position to that wingleader and then lock in the position of your planes relative to his.  At that point the wingleader is now flying all planes in the formation.  One huge advantage to this is that when you go to your guns the formations won't drift apart and you have the advantage of concentrated fire from all planes in the formation.  The second big advantage is the ability to carpet bomb.  The wingleader calibrates his bombsight while the other pilots man their guns, then on the command of the wingleader all pilots can jump to the pilots position (F1) and drop their bombs.  No need for each pilot to calibrate their bomb sight as the wingleader has effectively calibrated for all of the planes in the formation when he calibrates his bomb sight.

If you are the wingleader you will need to throttle back about 10% which allows the other planes in the formation to adjust to your movements.  If you are full throttle, the other planes have nothing left to make small adjustments in their speed to hold their position relative to the wingleader.

This feature is very simple to use and setup:

1. First you must map the Autopilot Wingman Mode on your keyboard.  Here is how to do it:
    A. Go to "Options" on your clipboard
    B. Select "Controls"
    C. Select "Map Keys"
    D. Select "Flight" on the left lower side of the keyboard display that will pop up
    E. Select "Autopilot Wingman Mode"
    F. Hold down the CRTL and W keys at the same time (they will both light up)
    G. Press "Set Key"
    H. Done!

You should only need to set CRTL-W once and you should be ready to go each time you start AH.

Here is a practical application of the above, but there are many more.  You have 5 bomber pilots heading to a target to help bring it down, let's name them:
John
Tom
Dick
Harry
Pete

It is decided John will be the wingleader of the formation, so the other four pilots each use the dot command in the text buffer ".wingman John" (without the quotation marks).
The other four pilots will see John's icon turn white indicating the wingman command has been engaged.
John cuts his throttle by 10% (or goes to "Normal Cruise" rpms and manifold pressure).  This allows the other pilots to move into position around John.

For example let's say Tom moves 200 yards to John's left, and Dick moves 200 yards to John's right forming a shallow "V" formation.  Harry moves directly behind and above John by 400 yards, and Pete moves directly behind and below John by 400 yards.  Harry and Pete have filled in the gap in the rear of the "V" both high and low and all pilots can bring guns to bear on just about every angle of attack from interceptors and their entire formation is only about 400 yards in size.  As each pilot finds his position relative to John he holds down CRTL-W to turn on the Autopilot Wingman Mode and at that point John is now flying that pilot's planes.  To break the CRTL-W lock simply touch your joystick while in the pilots seat, or go to your bombsight and you are flying your own planes again.  This allows you to make adjustments to your position or bomb independently and then hit CRTL-W again when you are ready to lock back into the formation.

Now the formation is nearing their target and they want to level the city at the strats or some other target.  Harry and Pete swing out of their high and low rear positions and take positions to the left and right of Tom and Dick.  The entire group adjusts the width of their formation to their liking and resets the Autopilot Wingman Mode by hitting CRTL-W again.  John is now flying all planes again, and this allows John to calibrate the center of the target while the other pilots keep a lookout from their gun positions or F3 knowing that the group will hit everything the width of two formations to the left and right of John.  Add more pilots and cut a wider path or split the formation to hit multiple targets.

I'll stop here and let others jump in with more and better ideas on how to use this powerful new command.  I have flown in these Wingman Autopilot Mode formations with devastating defensive and bombing results.  And then I have continued to fly with some groups that aren't using it with the usual results of being picked apart piecemeal by fighters as our formations drifted apart while we were in our guns either in route or over the target.  The difference is night and day.

P.S. I have also started a new squad "Rough Puppies" that will be running Wingman Autopilot Mode bombing raids to the Strats and in support of Base Captures. Send me a PM if you are interested or look me up in the MA :aok
:airplane: Great Post!! That's the kind of post we need more of in this forum! Clear and to the point!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
nice write up badger! Enjoyed reading it.  :cheers:

:salute

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
Good luck with the new squad. Which country? :)

Thanks, Bobcat.

I don't know which country we'll end up in.  I'm flying Bishop right now but the end country will depend on where the interest lies (both in inquiries to join the squad and pilots joining missions on an ad-hoc basis).  If we rotate countries it will be slowly, as I think most pilots like to have a "home" country.  That will be something I will discuss with the squad.  I didn't want this post to turn into a recruiting thread, so I'll post something in the Squadrons section in the next day or two for squad type questions.

Badger  :salute
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen