Author Topic: Side switchers  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Side switchers
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »

I wouldn't mind this at the start of every tour. Randomly assign players to each team, maybe loyal squads could have an exemption for their members? There will be some people loyal to each team that would switch back I'm sure. Not sure how the squads that shift every tour would decide where to go though.

I'd say no exemption. Some of the biggest chess piece presidents are in squads that would apply for exemption.

Squads that switch would decide amongst themselves.

The entire point of that idea would be to get people interacting and try to break the chess piece mentality.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
I like to meet people, call me a social butterfly, and ...... I go to low numbers for the perk bonus, I have a 262 addiction that seems to keep me perk poor. 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
Every time I see someone all fired concerned about HTCs population and or revenue, I wonder why they don't have a dialog with HT about it rather than play supposition games here.

Never really thought about it, but it just popped into my head.  If you do it here, you can pontificate without being proven wrong so it's safer.  If you actually started talking to HTC about it and they were inclined to share their info with you, they'd have the facts.

It is scary though that total online numbers during primetime have been decreasing and people often feel the need to comment on it.  I'm not going to start stressing until it gets to sub-100 at prime time myself.

I'd say no exemption. Some of the biggest chess piece presidents are in squads that would apply for exemption.

Loyalist squads would spring up by the dozens overnight.

Squads that switch would decide amongst themselves.

The entire point of that idea would be to get people interacting and try to break the chess piece mentality.

It's an interesting idea, but it would need to take into account some pretty complex factors.  Before considering squads, assume you were just going to randomize all the individuals in the game on a monthly basis.  Normal login times would be a good example of something that would have to be considered.  I don't think it would work terribly well if we just threw everyone's names into a hat.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
I like to meet people, call me a social butterfly, and ...... I go to low numbers for the perk bonus, I have a 262 addiction that seems to keep me perk poor. 
I know exactly what you mean :rolleyes:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
it's embarrassing to see grown men like you whining that the game doesnt play the way you want.  if you cant find a fight then go make one. 

semp

So, it's not embarrassing to be so concerned over something that will not affect your choices in the least?

Weird!

:neener:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2013, 12:54:55 AM »
I don't understand the negative stigmatism that side switchers have

The other night I got shot down by a player (agent360) who out flew me. I then switched sides to fly a cheap 262.
Upon conversing with mr. Agent about our fight on how I can do better I recieves some angry pms saying why don't I pick a side?

Btw this 12 hour rule has allowed me to meet and hang out with some awesome peeps
Big thank to the Claim Jumpers :salute

Just for the record.

You did not receive any PM from me about side switching....I know this because that very night I switched sides...and do so at will depending on my squads side and the fight.

Side switching is fine with me. Plus I have never sent a PM like this...I use ch 200 so everybody can see it...LOL

Did I whine about about our fight on 200??? I don't remember but its possible...LOL

:salute

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2013, 01:05:21 AM »
With the current time rule in effect (it was far longer in Air Warrior) let people hop sides all they want.  The bellyaching over wanting to hop sides every 45 minutes to an hour is insane and smacks of using that rule to their own score advantage.  Get over it. 

If you can't think strategically for less than a day, how can you play a game based on many numerous strategies?

Quit whining about the current rule and abide by it.  Even the 45 minutre rule side hoppers wished it was NO time limit....but then you wouldn't have to have a side stratagy.

Let it go.  All the ancient threads and complaining about needing to hop sides every 45 minutes are crazy.  If you can't think 12 hours into the future for stragy in the game you need some serious education.

Pick a side for 12 hours and deal with it.  Griping about wanting to hop sides every hour smacks of a flighty girfriend who can't make up her mind 30 times on where she wants to go for dinner.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2013, 01:17:54 AM »
I think everyone should be randomly assigned a new country every 12 hours.

:uhoh
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2013, 02:04:59 AM »
If you can't think 12 hours into the future for stragy in the game you need some serious education.

:rofl  Good one!  "We are hording a base right now.  When this one is taken, we will... hrm...  Horde another base, yeah that's the ticket!  12 hours from now, to switch things up and keep them guessing, we will... horde another base."

Strategy... riiiiiiiight.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
Many good points on both sides of the issue. I've switched sides before. First thing, Sabot is a spy! I switched to Rooks and planned on staying for a good while. However my C.O. came back and he didn't want to change. So I went back to Knights. I will tell you it was quite a bit of fun flying with Rooks and many good folks over there. My C.O. is a pure fighter and in Knightland you certainly get your opportunities. Personally I mix it and do about everything.

For me personally, I don't trust those who switch sides too much. If all of a sudden they put up a mission I'm not joining. They have no vested interest in the chess piece. I'm not saying they are spies but they certainly don't seem to have the conviction to defend a base at all cost or to take another base all cost. With that said it never hurts to have a few folks around who want to mix it up and fun is determined by the individual.

One thing I've noticed about some side switchers is that they want the safety of a horde. That is too say not all go for that. Like Juggler for instance, he just wants the fight, as does Agent360 and many others.

Much of what I said seems to be a contradiction. There is no way I can pin it down to a single statement.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
Ya pay your 15.00 and go wherever you want. This whole side switching paranoia is.....well....nuts..... :old:

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
Quit whining about the current rule and abide by it.  Even the 45 minutre rule side hoppers wished it was NO time limit....but then you wouldn't have to have a side stratagy.

<SNIP>

Pick a side for 12 hours and deal with it.  Griping about wanting to hop sides every hour smacks of a flighty girfriend who can't make up her mind 30 times on where she wants to go for dinner.

If country change limit was every hour, how would that affect your strategy to win the war? Are you suggesting that everyone will spy and ruin the grand strategy you have designed, causing life as you know it to end?

I'd rather be indecisive about where to eat dinner than needing countless other girlfriends to go with me to the bathroom (or take a base) because I was too afraid to do it alone.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
<snip>
For me personally, I don't trust those who switch sides too much. If all of a sudden they put up a mission I'm not joining. They have no vested interest in the chess piece. I'm not saying they are spies but they certainly don't seem to have the conviction to defend a base at all cost or to take another base all cost. With that said it never hurts to have a few folks around who want to mix it up and fun is determined by the individual.

One thing I've noticed about some side switchers is that they want the safety of a horde. That is too say not all go for that. Like Juggler for instance, he just wants the fight, as does Agent360 and many others.
<snip>

I side switch all the time..often every day...sometimes I stay on one side for days and days. When it gets slow in the arena I like to go attack...bomb some stuff...strafe some stuff. Find some Gv's...etc....when the fighters up..I back in with a fighter. As for the chess piece I don't give a dam. But whatever side I'm on I will fight for the goal....whatever that is.

As for switching mid fight like say around 10pm central..well that happens alot with the muppets. Sometimes it's a split squad due to the 12 hour rule....do we talk about where the fight is and what missions are up ..YES...we do...any other squads saying otherwise are lairs....Do we give intel about that to other squads or otherwise "spy"...NO...hell freaking NO.

As far as the muppets go we are in it for the pure fun of killing red guys or starting a fight to begin with, or helping take a base. We have no interest in "spying".

The muppets dont give a dam about the war. We just want to own you in the air...or stop ur hord base take in its tracks....or bomb the crap out of your GV spawn camp..etc.

Strategy is totally fubar in this game...its a total pooch screw. 12 hour rule doesn't matter...well...only for spies. But so many shades...split squads...etc you can see how it doesn't matter. The intel leeks out anyway...pm...phone...faceboo k...instant messaging...3rd party vox...it is endless.

This whining about spying and so forth is stupid.

I whined about this in another thread....the 12 hour switch does nothing but screw up players fun.

As for the whole dam "massive online combat" line HTC is feeding you people...well thats a load of crap....When HTC gets 1000 players online EVERY night then I will agree with his arean setup...Till then its just a bunch of BS...with a niche group whining against another niche group.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
I primarily fly rook but will spend a week or 5 days playing either knight or bishop at least once a tour.

Flying with guys who are normally your enemy reduces the animosity.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
One of the historical (game-wise) problems with allowing side-switching with shorter time restrictions was the tendency of the masses to switch sides when they thought "victory" was eminent for one side or the other. There would be a mass migration to the side about to "win" in hopes of earning the perk points. I seem to recall this migration happening earlier and earlier in a map rotation until it became a substantial hindrance to any type of balanced game-play.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)