Author Topic: FIX THE COLLISION MODEL PLEASE!!!!  (Read 2523 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: FIX THE COLLISION MODEL PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
 Well one thing no one has considered is the fact the KI43 can carry a couple of bombs,sure they're on the small side but it carries them!  Possibly the KI collided with the Hertz and dropped it's bombs,the bombs could cause the damage and on the KI's front end he missed the Hertz so he flew away unhurt.

I felt the OP got the answer when he was directed to the "lag" imfo on the trainers site and didn't think anymore was needed. This is my normal behaviour,I let others post any relevant imfo and only post if I think something is incorrect or the discussion gets outta hand.

Someone already said it,same ole same ole and I don't mean the collision!

:salute

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
It's something I never really considered because I don't play down in the weeds much.  It's been hinted around in this thread but not stated explicitly.

Is this how it works?

GV-GV collisions, they just stop, no damage?
GV-AC collisions, they work like normal AC-AC collisions?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
An airplane should never survive hitting a tank regardless of the tank's surviving.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
An airplane should never survive hitting a tank regardless of the tank's surviving.

Obviously you don't understand how the collision model works.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
An opinion collides with a fact. In one player's viewpoint the opinion changes, in another player's viewpoint the opinion survives intact.

When you know how the collision model works it's clear that in the second case the fact went over the player's head and there was no collision.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:45:37 AM by FLS »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »

Because you obviously have no idea how the collision model works in this game, maybe this will clue you in.

Collisions

Collisions and how they are modeled is one of the most misunderstood, and therefore most contentious, issues in the game. The usual question is how 1 player can suffer catastrophic damage in a collision while the other player suffers no damage at all. The explanation is in the understanding of how lag affects the reality on the two front-ends and how HiTech mitigates collisions.

The first thing you must understand is that a collision can occur on one front-end but not on the other. The reason for this is the different realities caused by lag. Player 1 can see himself safely past Player 2 at point A while at exactly the same time Player 2 sees himself colliding with Player 1 at point B. Whether through maneuvering to avoid the collision or just plain luck, Player 1 did not collide on his front-end. Player 2 did.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, take a look at the images below. They are from films of a duel between Bronk and Tangle. The first picture is from Bronk's film and clearly shows Bronk colliding with Tangle.

The second picture is from Tangle's film and shows Tangle's view at exactly the same instant. Notice the "Bronk has collided with you" message in the text buffer. In Tangle's view, though, there is almost two plane lengths of separation between him and Bronk.

The second key to understanding collisions is knowing how HiTech mitigates collisions. It's really very simple: If a collision occurs on your front-end, you suffer damage from the collision. If a collision does not occur on your front-end, you do not suffer damage. Looking at the two images above, it is pretty clear that this is the only way to do it. How would you like to be Tangle in this scenario and receive damage from a collision you were obviously not involved in?

There are lots of scenarios where a collision can occur on 1 front-end and not the other. You may not even see the collision (i.e. you were looking a different direction) and suddenly suffer collision damage. You may see the collision, but the other guy maneuvered out of the way. The bottom line, though, is in your front-end's version of reality, a collision occurred. If a collision did not occur on the other front-end's version of reality, the other player's plane will not suffer damage.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 07:05:54 PM »
^^ ^^ ^^

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »

Fix the internet!  :old:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
    Fix the internet!  :old:
+1, and I'd expect the NSA to build the fibre cable under the Atlantic, they'd benefit the most of it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »
+1, and I'd expect the NSA to build the fibre cable under the Atlantic, they'd benefit the most of it.
Fiber optics is not fast enough.  Need quantum networking.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Fiber optics is not fast enough.  Need quantum networking.

Only if quantum theory is correct, will it help.  Of course, that opens up a whole new discussion, which insures headaches and migraines to follow.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
Only if quantum theory is correct, will it help.  Of course, that opens up a whole new discussion, which insures headaches and migraines to follow.

Why is there a cat in the server room?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »
Because it is also in the parking lot.

Oh goody.  Now we have Quantum Kitty to tangle with.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:20:22 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
This post was originally started in the "Aces High Bug Reports" thread. Skuzzy moved it here ....only guessing here but, because he wants people to learn or the OP get help on understanding how the Collision model works. Yes planes can collide with vehicles. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. The same collision model is in place for both.

So this has worked out well, Bablonian has learned some thing too.  :D

:D  Indeed, never seen it (vehicle colides with the plane, vehicle takes damage), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't believe it.

And only on this forum:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:32:05 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
it's already there, where have you been?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett