Author Topic: Going to take a stab at teaching ACM  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Going to take a stab at teaching ACM
« on: August 22, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
The best way to learn how to fight is to fight and die and learn from your mistakes... but what if you don't know what you're doing wrong or what the right thing to do was?

I'm thinking of starting a video series where I review other players fights either through ahfilms, or FRAPS recordings if you have that (or some other video recording device). I point out where you make mistakes, where you did something right, explain what you could have done better, and explain why the things you did wrong were wrong and why the right way works. I have no idea how this will play out though so I'd like to do at least 1 video to try this idea out and see how well it goes. To do a first "test" video I'm going to need someones film to use.

So, is there anyone out there looking to learn ACM and willing to send me a film to use? If this goes well then I'll definitely try to get off my lazy butt and review more fights from more players.  :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Going to take a stab at teaching ACM
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
Here one you can take a stab at. There are two fights. What I'd like to know is how/where/when can I be more aggressive in these fights? I get there in the end, well I die to a second con in the second fight, but I feel like I'm taking too much time and letting the enemy regain/not burn his "E".

In the second fight my lack of aggressiveness gives the second con time to set me up.

Any help would be great.

http://www.speedyshare.com/dJab4/maineac2.ahf

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the film Fugi! I'll be sure to get to work on the review by tomorrow. Not sure how long it'll take to put this all together, but I'll post it in the Films and Screenshots Forum when it's done. I'm hoping to maybe have it done before the end of next week.  :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
You'll make a great trainer Latrobe. The way you explain things is outstanding.   :cheers:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
First little problem I see is the film viewer doesn't show the views 100% correctly. It recorded Fugitive's views but not in the head positions he uses (at least I'm assuming he has set up his views to look around the seat when looking backwards). Anyone know if there's a way to correct this? Does AH save your head positions in your folder? If it does, would I get Fugitives head positions to view 100% correctly in the Film Viewer if he sent me his head position files? Or does the ahfilm viewer only record in default head positions? I can probably get away with reviewing the film from external view, but I'd really like to do it from the cockpit to get the full feel of the fight.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
First little problem I see is the film viewer doesn't show the views 100% correctly. It recorded Fugitive's views but not in the head positions he uses (at least I'm assuming he has set up his views to look around the seat when looking backwards). Anyone know if there's a way to correct this? Does AH save your head positions in your folder? If it does, would I get Fugitives head positions to view 100% correctly in the Film Viewer if he sent me his head position files? Or does the ahfilm viewer only record in default head positions? I can probably get away with reviewing the film from external view, but I'd really like to do it from the cockpit to get the full feel of the fight.

Pretty sure it uses the saved head positions on your system, but I could very well be wrong.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »
it uses the head positions of whoever recorded the film, unless of course you are using trakir and which case it records none.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »
Pretty sure it uses the saved head positions on your system, but I could very well be wrong.

I went and saved a head position for looking backwards, didn't use the view in the film.

it uses the head positions of whoever recorded the film, unless of course you are using trakir and which case it records none.

semp

Ah, then my guess is that Fugitive doesn't have saved head positions and uses the arrow keys to lean around the seat. Does the film viewer only recognize keypad and hat switch inputs? Does it not pick up on using the arrow keys or page up/page down?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:37 AM »
I do have saved head positions. I don't see why it wouldny show positions after you saved them on your computer. I could post the head positions I use for the plane in the film when I get home.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »

It doesn't.  The film viewer saves your head movements only.  You could adjust the views while in the viewer, but there are problems.  The views you save will be an approximation of your in-game views, as there are no "stops" to limit how far you can adjust while in the film viewer.  When you close the film viewer, the new views you saved are gone when you re-open it (IIRC). 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
Oh, you can save head positions in the film viewer! I can work with that! Thanks for the advice caldera!  :salute

Fugitive, if you can send me the head positions you use then I'll try to get them as close as I can in the film viewer.  :aok :salute

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
If I may ask, what kind of ACM's would you teach?  Defensive, 1 v 1, lag to lead?  Or introductory stuff?
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
If I may ask, what kind of ACM's would you teach?  Defensive, 1 v 1, lag to lead?  Or introductory stuff?

In your case it would be 1 vs trees
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »
In your case it would be 1 vs trees

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »

I guess all of it really. When to take the offensive and attack vs multiple bandits, defensive 1v1, when to use lead, lag, or pure pursuits... it all depends on what fights I get sent and how they play out. Send me a 1v1 fight where you lose the merge and fight defensively the whole time before dying and I'll tell you what you should have done on the merge or how you could have reversed your opponent. Send me a film where you have alt on 3 bandits but you get low and slow and die, and I'll tell you where things went and what you could have done to land 3 kills.  :)