Author Topic: Bring Back the Base Puffy Ack  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Bring Back the Base Puffy Ack
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

. . .We aren't interested in taking the base per say, . . .

Then what is the point of raiding another base  with a large squadron?  Is it just easy kills?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
Instead of capping a base, we should stay loitering in the middle of the playing field and wait for the next wave to come and dogfight us again.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
I like getting A-20's up from swarmed bases.  Floor it right out of the hangar and see if I can kill anyone before I go down, hoping that some folks get in Wirbs and more A-20's.  It is great fun.  Sometimes it works out as more and more people come in on defense to do the same.  Sometimes it doesn't, and I just get shot down again and again until the base is taken.  But there is no lack of action.  :aok

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
Instead of capping a base, we should stay loitering in the middle of the playing field and wait for the next wave to come and dogfight us again.

What Bat said.  Pull back a little and let them get off the ground.  I ll fight like that all day no problem.  Just let me get gear up first.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
It may be time for HTC to scale down the maps to about half the size we get lost in today and we accept with fewer fields every group of 5 or 6 planes will seem like a hoard showing up at an empty base. In the AvA because numbers are not expected to be very high, the staff scales to that expectation. Everyone finds each other even if they don't want to be found. On the few occasions numbers have been unexpectedly high, everywhere was a fight from the ground to as high as anyone wanted to waste their time.

If NDisles ocean was filled in and a few bases dropped into each sector where once was ocean. That would be a good starting size for the average number of players we see today. Something like the scale of the mini pizza map. The really good furballs are often due to a geographic feature inhibiting GV attacks and ease of capture. Or the altitudes of the two fields make it faster for everyone to get back into the fight, very often halfway between the bases.

Smaller maps would promote war winning base rolling efforts again due to the simple fact of fewer fields to take. The current maps are not impossible to roll with our normal hoard size if you have all night. But, they have become boring like having to eat a double extra large pizza to get a tiny free beer after you have eaten yourself sick of pizza. What's the point?? Our maps are out of scale to our population and the effort anyone is willing to put into involving themselves with looking for something to do. Smaller maps will remove worrying about that because the scale will place everyone in each others face.

As for classic two base furballs. Go back to all of the maps you have enjoyed furballs on. Remember, almost every time that map was up, that furball very often happened. Furballs are accidents of a terrain feature and the relationship of two fields on each side of it that made it convenient for the pilots to go at each other. That's why fester spent so much time asking us what we looked for in maps so he could redesign his newest map to promote combat where ever you go on it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
It may be time for HTC to scale down the maps ...

Agree   :aok
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
Map sizes are perfect now in my opinion.  Who would up bombers if they're always shot down climbing out?  Also, I like upping my pony with drop tanks and cruising around like a shark looking for prey at altitude.  Drop down, close to a hundred, and kaboom!  I enjoy all the aspects of this game, shrinking maps will make it more predictable and less interesting.
Fight's on!

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
Map sizes are perfect now in my opinion.  Who would up bombers if they're always shot down climbing out?  Also, I like upping my pony with drop tanks and cruising around like a shark looking for prey at altitude.  Drop down, close to a hundred, and kaboom!  I enjoy all the aspects of this game, shrinking maps will make it more predictable and less interesting.

During the off hours (with ~60 on), it is hard to run into each other. Plus, it makes combat difficult with so few on a large map. 
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
It may be time for HTC to scale down the maps

I think best would be some sort of dynamic scaling.  When there are a lot of people, larger areas to fight in are fun; but when there are few people, larger areas contribute to not much fighting going on.

If there were something that funneled people into a smaller area as number of players decreased, that would work wonders, I think.

I'm not sure what that would be.  Increasing numbers of outlying bases having no aircraft available and toggling to uncapturable and unbombable as player numbers go down?

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
I think best would be some sort of dynamic scaling.  When there are a lot of people, larger areas to fight in are fun; but when there are few people, larger areas contribute to not much fighting going on.

If there were something that funneled people into a smaller area as number of players decreased, that would work wonders, I think.

I'm not sure what that would be.  Increasing numbers of outlying bases having no aircraft available and toggling to uncapturable and unbombable as player numbers go down?

I turn your attention to this thread.    :)

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,354404.0.html

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
What sometimes tend to be forgotten (by myself as well) is that, at least during the week, we have actually more players fighting in the LW arena than 3 years ago. While having overall higher attendance, this was split over 2 LW arenas...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

Please goto the DA and ask the muppets along with anyone else dueling to teach you ACM. Everyone in this game can do what you are doing with a poni by the beginning of their second tour. Or goto the TA and see my friend Morfiend for ACM lessons. There are more players in the AH world than yourself and the game always has to evolve out of it's periodic stagnations. And many more players like myself who have played tours non-stop for 11-13 years now who try to help the community hash this out each time bad or good. In the end Hitech seems to heed some of this and makes subtle changes.

We got these giant maps as a past response to 500-600 players in the arena and out of control hoards avoiding each other with no combat across 3 country fronts rolling bases. The size was supposed to eat up their energy. Now we average core playing 250-300 for a few hours on week nights and the size of the maps hide us from each other along with our willingness to avoid risk like flying a poni in the stratosphere using altitude to hide from the consequences of poor ACM. We reach stagnation when risk avoidance is held up as combat, and lack of motivation to accomplish much more than spawn camping then becomes a community malaise.

Bombers have always found a way to get off the ground. But, we have eventually needed Hitech to step in and push our noses into combat by overnight changing our world. And the results have ever been, no one got hurt, we all responded to the new novel stimulus figuring out how to game it, and everyone has fun for awhile fighting each other until we get bored and go back to avoiding risk. And the big risk avoidance this time around is everyone one and his buddy flying 20-30k into furballs.

In a bad economy like we are in, many people lucky to have jobs don't have the time to climb to 20k then go looking for a fight they feel comfortable vulching people in. They have a limited amount of time to invest each time they logon to get their monies worth. Smaller maps tend to have 2-3 fronts for each country with one a furball, the other a base defence, and an active capture attempt. The larger maps tend towards two countries attacking the third while avoiding each other because they need 500-600 to achieve the same scale of three fronts. Boring risk avoidance results.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »

Maybe they are perfect for typical evening US times, but map sizes are not perfect for 2 am Eastern time and later.  Then it is too frequently a ghost town, with a couple of guys here milling around trying to find each other, 50 miles away from another guy doing a milk run, 50 miles away from another couple of people, etc.; and that is not fun by the standards of most players.  A lot of players see that, and they just log out, and there is thus a negative-feedback loop promoting lower player numbers.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
I would maybe add take us back to when porking a bases fuel meant something :aok

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID