Author Topic: About the new terrain  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: About the new terrain
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
Film just blew my mind!  :O

Yeah  =   :O

Very nicely done.  I cannot wait to see 1st hand  :aok

:cheers:
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
I watched the one about the new terrain again, and the clipping seemed very well done also

Offline Zed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »

That terrain looks great.  No excreta, though, please.  It get's stuck in the tank tracks and makes everything smell bad.  That's tough when it's hot and you're spawn camping...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »
Great Job HTC !!! What a great team they have there in Texas !

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I don't have timeeeeee for thisssssss

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
The current stuff I am working on has a 660 Foot vertex res, AH currently has 2480 res. I doubt will will go denser then this.

The new system has 16 + 4 base texture types the 16 are base types like rock grass snow ext.... the 4 types are higher res and are things like fields small towns excreta.

There is also a color per vertex that is blended with the terrain textures, along with a detail mask type like rows, rock excreta that is blended in as you get closer to the terrain.

The terrain does cast shadows. I devolved a new system for doing this that is extremely fast. Ill try post a screen or film later today.

There will be a converter for existing terrains , but some clean up would add a lot to the terrains.

Water will be change to have full 3d wave effects.

We are dropping support for fixed pipeline, and will require shader version 3.0 minimum. On last count before we started this, I saw less the 20 accounts that have played in the last year that did not support 3.0 shaders.

Clouds will have a small rework that will improve frame rate because we can depend on shader style implementation.

The terrain editor will remain basically the same for implanting objects. But for the look of the terrain features,textures and tree type features,  it will make much more use of image editing tools.

I very much doubt trees will be destructible. Simple math of approximate 3000 objects per square mile and 512 x 512 miles creates over 1 gig of objects.  This creates many issues with both memory and speed on displaying the status on all front ends.

HiTech

All this just made me feel so dumb  :lol :lol :lol :lol

The layman's video is good   :D

Offline jedi25

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
Awesome Hitech.. :aok

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
The current stuff I am working on has a 660 Foot vertex res, AH currently has 2480 res. I doubt will will go denser then this.

The new system has 16 + 4 base texture types the 16 are base types like rock grass snow ext.... the 4 types are higher res and are things like fields small towns excreta.

There is also a color per vertex that is blended with the terrain textures, along with a detail mask type like rows, rock excreta that is blended in as you get closer to the terrain.

The terrain does cast shadows. I devolved a new system for doing this that is extremely fast. Ill try post a screen or film later today.

There will be a converter for existing terrains , but some clean up would add a lot to the terrains.

Water will be change to have full 3d wave effects.

We are dropping support for fixed pipeline, and will require shader version 3.0 minimum. On last count before we started this, I saw less the 20 accounts that have played in the last year that did not support 3.0 shaders.

Clouds will have a small rework that will improve frame rate because we can depend on shader style implementation.

The terrain editor will remain basically the same for implanting objects. But for the look of the terrain features,textures and tree type features,  it will make much more use of image editing tools.

I very much doubt trees will be destructible. Simple math of approximate 3000 objects per square mile and 512 x 512 miles creates over 1 gig of objects.  This creates many issues with both memory and speed on displaying the status on all front ends.

HiTech

I only seen one word in this that made me. :banana:
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
The current stuff I am working on has a 660 Foot vertex res

Yaaaaaaayyy!   :banana:

(Will the ground type remain 4K?)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »
Sweet!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
I hope water depth goes with that 3D water. :x
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 11:43:57 PM »
hehe, you're just looking for the PBY. I want Subs and the Emily(?).
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:34 AM »
hehe, you're just looking for the PBY. I want Subs and the Emily(?).

Ha!  I want the H6K! :x  But, I'll take the PBY and the H8K as well, since you brought them up. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 01:45:14 AM »
"I very much doubt trees will be destructible. Simple math of approximate 3000 objects per square mile and 512 x 512 miles creates over 1 gig of objects.  This creates many issues with both memory and speed on displaying the status on all front ends."

Of course and those dynamic changes would all need to be tracked and passed on to all clients in the vicinity.

I'd still suggest that while the objects remain indestructible please get rid of concrete shrubbery, I'd don't mind if the larger trees are concrete though.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »
The current stuff I am working on has a 660 Foot vertex res, AH currently has 2480 res. I doubt

will will go denser then this.

The new system has 16 + 4 base texture types the 16 are base types like rock grass snow ext....

the 4 types are higher res and are things like fields small towns excreta.

There is also a color per vertex that is blended with the terrain textures, along with a detail

mask type like rows, rock excreta that is blended in as you get closer to the terrain.

Hi HiTech,

Can you please release an information about terrain data file formats as soon as it stable,
so I would be able to adopt the MakeAHMap: a tool for automatic terrain generation from geographical data:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Terrain_Generation_From_Geographical_Data

I would really love to have some documented references for the file formats and not to "guess" them, for example, I got the exact relation between waterd.bmp and the elevation vertices only by trial and error.

Small questions:

- Are there any changes in river slope limits? Because currently they way stricter than the real world river slopes limiting the ability to embed some rivers into the terrain.
- Any chance that negative altitudes would be supported? (i.e. dead sea like areas ~ 1500 feet below the sea level)

Thanks!!!
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel