Author Topic: About the new terrain  (Read 8207 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
About the new terrain
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »
The current stuff I am working on has a 660 Foot vertex res, AH currently has 2480 res. I doubt will will go denser then this.

The new system has 16 + 4 base texture types the 16 are base types like rock grass snow ext.... the 4 types are higher res and are things like fields small towns excreta.

There is also a color per vertex that is blended with the terrain textures, along with a detail mask type like rows, rock excreta that is blended in as you get closer to the terrain.

The terrain does cast shadows. I devolved a new system for doing this that is extremely fast. Ill try post a screen or film later today.

There will be a converter for existing terrains , but some clean up would add a lot to the terrains.

Water will be change to have full 3d wave effects.

We are dropping support for fixed pipeline, and will require shader version 3.0 minimum. On last count before we started this, I saw less the 20 accounts that have played in the last year that did not support 3.0 shaders.

Clouds will have a small rework that will improve frame rate because we can depend on shader style implementation.

The terrain editor will remain basically the same for implanting objects. But for the look of the terrain features,textures and tree type features,  it will make much more use of image editing tools.

I very much doubt trees will be destructible. Simple math of approximate 3000 objects per square mile and 512 x 512 miles creates over 1 gig of objects.  This creates many issues with both memory and speed on displaying the status on all front ends.

HiTech

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: About the new terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
You probably don't need to include excreta in the new terrain

We get enough of that on the BBS

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
You probably don't need to include excreta in the new terrain

We get enough of that on the BBS

:rofl

Thanks HTC for the update.  :aok
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
Sounds awesome! I think I'll wait for this release before continuing my 256-mile terrain project (which I haven't touched in many many months).
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
Thank you for the info.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »

:O
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
As promised the video.

Note the fps shows 150 only because of the video capture from that view, it is above 500 fps and that is running a debug version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0HMX2YaZuco

HiTech

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
Awesome stuff and thanks for the update. Hopefully you will have a midnight revelation on how to implement destructible trees!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:51:57 PM by SirNuke »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
Awesome stuff and thanks for the update. Hopefully you will have a midnight revelation on how to implement destructible trees!

Don't be environmentally destructive. Shoot the tank, not the tree.  :aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
The current stuff I am working on has a 660 Foot vertex res, AH currently has 2480 res. I doubt will will go denser then this.

The new system has 16 + 4 base texture types the 16 are base types like rock grass snow ext.... the 4 types are higher res and are things like fields small towns excreta.

There is also a color per vertex that is blended with the terrain textures, along with a detail mask type like rows, rock excreta that is blended in as you get closer to the terrain.

The terrain does cast shadows. I devolved a new system for doing this that is extremely fast. Ill try post a screen or film later today.

There will be a converter for existing terrains , but some clean up would add a lot to the terrains.

We are dropping support for fixed pipeline, and will require shader version 3.0 minimum. On last count before we started this, I saw less the 20 accounts that have played in the last year that did not support 3.0 shaders.

Clouds will have a small rework that will improve frame rate because we can depend on shader style implementation.

The terrain editor will remain basically the same for implanting objects. But for the look of the terrain features,textures and tree type features,  it will make much more use of image editing tools.

I very much doubt trees will be destructible. Simple math of approximate 3000 objects per square mile and 512 x 512 miles creates over 1 gig of objects.  This creates many issues with both memory and speed on displaying the status on all front ends.

HiTech

This is rather good news (though I already liked what we got). 3D waves? Cool.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »
If whatever you said means the terrain will be pretty and relatively easy to handle without spending a bunch on my pew pew puter...sounds great!
AMAX  in game

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
Awesome. :x

Thank you, thank you... for the hard work and surprises. :aok

:rock

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
So, about that Soviet bomber... :noid
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »
Awesome.  :aok
Top Gun

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
As promised the video.

Note the fps shows 150 only because of the video capture from that view, it is above 500 fps and that is running a debug version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0HMX2YaZuco

HiTech

Film just blew my mind!  :O
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho