Author Topic: About the new terrain  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: About the new terrain
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
I see dead people...
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »
Wiki says 31.8% of PCs still run XP. So going to DX 11 would remove almost a third of current PC owners as potential customers while offering only the potential benefit of slightly better framerates for high end users. Does not seem like a good business move for HTC to me, at least not for years yet.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
The key thing as far as HTC are concerned is to get the maximum improvement for the minimum loss of existing customers. HT has said less than 20 existing users of the game will be affected by the change to Shader 3.0 and judging by what we've seen and read so far, many players will be getting a major improvement to the look of the game.

I bet lot more players than 20 would be lost to the game if they went beyond DirectX 9 and effectively obsoleted any PC running Windows XP. Would you get as many more customers to replace those lost with whatever extra eye candy you could add? Somehow I doubt it.

Good point except XP will lose support in the spring of 2014.   I have moved my XP machines except one to Linux Mint dual boot, using XP only for the things Mint will not run.  I imagine a dramatic falloff in XP usage when it goes obsolete.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
Wiki says 31.8% of PCs still run XP. So going to DX 11 would remove almost a third of current PC owners as potential customers while offering only the potential benefit of slightly better framerates for high end users. Does not seem like a good business move for HTC to me, at least not for years yet.

XP won't persist long beyond next spring I am afraid...
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
There are a lot of us WinXP users still around, fyi.

Not for long sadly.  A year at most...

Many will go to Win7 or Linux.  Mint is awesome.  Wish AH would run on it (it might but I haven't tried it through the emulator).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:59:05 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #185 on: November 29, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
XP won't persist long beyond next spring I am afraid...
XP is all that will run my stick..the only stick i will use,no XP no AH for me.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
XP is all that will run my stick..the only stick i will use,no XP no AH for me.

What stick do you have?

Have you looked into Linux at all?  If AH ran on Mint I would ditch XP and 7 in a heartbeat.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
There should be no problem as long as AH can be run on XP.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
What stick do you have?

Have you looked into Linux at all?  If AH ran on Mint I would ditch XP and 7 in a heartbeat.
Microsoft Sidewinder ,i have not tried linux,just windows ,and none of the force feedback work correctly. :joystick:
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
Microsoft Sidewinder ,i have not tried linux,just windows ,and none of the force feedback work correctly. :joystick:

I have two Sidewinders, one FF one not.  The non-FF works great in Win7 but I can't use any of the MS software for mapping which kinda sux.

I guess my FF stick is gonna be junk then.  :(

What a bummer that MS stopped support.  It is a decent stick.  Add their dropping support to the reasons I will soon be Linux-only...   AH is the only reason I even use Windows.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »

About 1% of gamers probably still run XP. Gamers can't afford to have ancient hardware.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »
WOW!!! Twist-o-logic is on full power today!

If you can download the software for free, install it for free, download missions for free, and play those mission any time you want for free, it is FREE. There are a number of people on these boards doing just that.... which is a step up on you who doesn't even play any longer.

Again I didn't say I didn't agree with you about the growth. However YOUR opinion with what is growth for HTC may not be what HTC's opinion of what is growth. Thats all I'm saying. If it was my company there would be more techs working the coad to bring more technology into the game as well as changes in how things work in the game to bring about changes in game play. There would be a lot more advertising in magazines, on the web, and yes tv. I would have a team whose job it would be to bring in subscriptions, period.

But I don't run HTC, and neither do you. All we can do is suggest here on the boards or in an email to HTC and hope they read what we write. You on the other hand, with your blinders on tight come in here demanding, or barking about how bad HTC does things and then EXPECT them to bow down to your words of wisdom. Whos the fool?  

Forum rule nr 1: Don't argue with fanbois  :lol
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
Good point except XP will lose support in the spring of 2014.   I have moved my XP machines except one to Linux Mint dual boot, using XP only for the things Mint will not run.  I imagine a dramatic falloff in XP usage when it goes obsolete.

About 1% of gamers probably still run XP. Gamers can't afford to have ancient hardware.

Huh......... I ran win 2k untill about a month ago,  it was still working fine and still receiving security updates. I changed operating systems so I could try the new games BOS an WT. So unless HT really goes ALL IN... this computer will still be fine for me. I put it together in 2004. I will not be building a new computer untill HT forces me to do so..

:cheers:
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
Huh......... I ran win 2k untill about a month ago,  it was still working fine and still receiving security updates. I changed operating systems so I could try the new games BOS an WT. So unless HT really goes ALL IN... this computer will still be fine for me. I put it together in 2004. I will not be building a new computer untill HT forces me to do so..

:cheers:

2000 > XP or 7

I ran 2000 until 2010 on my primary desktop.  It was great.  I loved that OS.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
2000 > XP or 7

I ran 2000 until 2010 on my primary desktop.  It was great.  I loved that OS.

Yep this game was built on it <G>   For me it was a loss going to XP as the rest of my system was to low for the new games...  :rofl

When and if Ht forces me to make a new system... it will be a system that can run the other games  :t
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520