Author Topic: About the new terrain  (Read 8218 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: About the new terrain
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
What's steam?  :headscratch:

Google & Wikipedia broken?  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »
What's steam?  :headscratch:

Online gaming site where you buy and download from them OR the game you buy in a store requires you to play it online through Steam.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

I find the statement about no more XP updates being released amusing sense i just got a few updates when i just logged online and have been getting them in the past.  Whats your source for that statement.

April 8, 2014.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »
April 8, 2014.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help
Mind you that doesn't mean third parties are going to stop releasing drivers for it, just that Microsoft is going to cease support.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
I smell old people...

you have been crapping in the woods too much...

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2013, 03:52:22 AM »
Mind you that doesn't mean third parties are going to stop releasing drivers for it, just that Microsoft is going to cease support.

Running XP is already a huge security risk and it's going to get only worse. Since its users are inevitably going to disappear there is no reason for hardware vendors to keep wasting resources in supporting it. Just face it, even if you happen to still use it the OS is outdated, dangerous and deserves to be buried already.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
Running XP is already a huge security risk and it's going to get only worse. Since its users are inevitably going to disappear there is no reason for hardware vendors to keep wasting resources in supporting it. Just face it, even if you happen to still use it the OS is outdated, dangerous and deserves to be buried already.
Depends on how you run it.  As far as hardware vendors, they will keep supporting it as long as it is profitable.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »
Depends on how you run it.  As far as hardware vendors, they will keep supporting it as long as it is profitable.

Considering that the user base is as low as it is already and the chances that anyone buying new hardware is going to install it on XP are diminishing, I'd say we're way past that point already. The only reason why motherboard etc. manufacturers continue to support XP is that there are still some busineses that desperately cling to XP.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
Considering that the user base is as low as it is already and the chances that anyone buying new hardware is going to install it on XP are diminishing, I'd say we're way past that point already. The only reason why motherboard etc. manufacturers continue to support XP is that there are still some busineses that desperately cling to XP.
Over half of the Chinese still use XP according to http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-CN-monthly-201311-201311-bar, but I agree the number of them is non-significant in a global measure. As well as the 30% in Africa.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
Over half of the Chinese still use XP according to http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-CN-monthly-201311-201311-bar, but I agree the number of them is non-significant in a global measure. As well as the 30% in Africa.

Yes, lets support ChiComm techies. 
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »

And how many are real registered copies? Lol. I remember being able to buy pretty much and program, including Final Cut Pro at the local markets in Kabul .....
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
And how many are real registered copies? Lol. I remember being able to buy pretty much and program, including Final Cut Pro at the local markets in Kabul .....
Registered or non registered, it doesn't matter in this case. They exist. And the amount of them is enormous.

It's true, though, that a great deal of them are pirated, which means that they can't install most of the updates available, leaving them extremely vulnerable, making them an easy target for bot farmers. But the Chinese piracy issue has been known for quite a long time and most probably is also true for the more modern Windows version.

Back to the original subject without forgetting where this thread has gone: Will the new version be ready before the end of XP support? And how long will AH be playable on XP, be it this current version or the one we've been offered glimpses of?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
Back to the original subject without forgetting where this thread has gone: Will the new version be ready before the end of XP support? And how long will AH be playable on XP, be it this current version or the one we've been offered glimpses of?
I keep hoping to build a new computer, but the money for it just keeps falling through for one reason or another.  I am stuck with WinXP for the foreseeable future.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »
Still on Win7 here.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
Marketing.  You have to love it.  There is not a 3D graphic feature available in DX11, which cannot be done in DX9.

In the meantime, this thread has wandered a long way from its intended path.

Isn't DX11 required for the use of tessellation?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:35:43 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."