Author Topic: An Intruder last night….  (Read 3720 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: An Intruder last night….
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »
Glad I live out west. It's pretty much unthinkable that you would be charged for defending yourself out here in AZ.  Maybe it it were proven you shot someone in the back when they were halfway out the door, but maybe not even then.

I think a lot of the cases where people get charged is when there are other circumstances beyond a complete stranger in your house. Someone you knew who you invited in and then had a fight with, etc.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
Your kidding right???

Dang what "State" do you live in? New York?

No I know you must live in Chicago or Washington D.C. :old:

somehow i think the same way, we didnt get the full story.  perhaps it turns out that the burglar had give up and the homeowner decided to execute him.

I know a guy who did 10 years for getting high falling asleep and getting charged with manslaughter in his own house.   you dont know the full story, so somebody will question the story.  but the truth is that guy should have been shot for getting high and falling asleep in his house. a kid died.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »
You should have shot him :old:
This is not DayZ. KOS is not allowed.

He was on his property, swearing at him. The past week I've played 35 hours of DayZ. If I was the OP, I would be scraping the burglar's brains off the wall behind him.

You only have to play DayZ for so long before in real life you are so paranoid you peek around corners before you enter a building.

My instincts now are to fire at anything that moves. That game is unforgiving.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:08:49 PM by XxDaSTaRxx »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 11:35:39 PM »
Your kidding right???

that happened in Mass.... :aok

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »

He was on his property, swearing at him. The past week I've played 35 hours of DayZ. If I was the OP, I would be scraping the burglar's brains off the wall behind him.

You only have to play DayZ for so long before in real life you are so paranoid you peek around corners before you enter a building.

Maybe you should play it less, that is a disturbing post. A gun is only as safe or deadly as the hand and the mental state that welds it. Real life is unforgiving real death is unforgiving a game is a game. A guy in my yard doesn't warrant a bullet, a guy in my house does.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
Maybe you should play it less, that is a disturbing post. A gun is only as safe or deadly as the hand and the mental state that welds it. Real life is unforgiving real death is unforgiving a game is a game. A guy in my yard doesn't warrant a bullet, a guy in my house does.

I agree that post was a bit...out there.... :rofl

but I must say a good arse whoppin to the guy in your house would probably work just as well...and wont leave you with guilt the rest of your life.....unless of course he is holding a gun himself.... then he gets what he brings....

I believe just because we "can" do something, does not always mean we should.....

and when it comes to taking another persons life....

that should be the absolute last resort...

except when it comes to...child rapists....rapists in general...murderers who kill for the fun of it.........and someone who commits Murder while doing a felony....these kinds of people should all be put down.....without hesitation....and without remorse.....

I also believe every American citizen should have in their house and carry on their person some form of firearm.

burglaries/thiefs/rapes would be a hell of a lot less if they knew every house they think about entering will be armed and ready to use it.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »

DayZ Shows human nature in true form. And yeah, I wouldn't kill somebody for standing in my yard. Inside my house, armed, I'd fire.

But in DayZ you get killed over baked beans. That's ridiculous.

I'm perfectly fine. I know what's real and what isn't. DayZ is just a cruel game, where players are even more cruel to eachother. Zombies are just an added difficulty.

But as for paranoia, yeah I can thank DayZ for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU1E4jwquzU
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 12:37:41 AM »
Colmbo, sounds like you did the prudent thing  :aok

Nobody's stuff is worth losing their own life over, I know too well.

I lived in AZ most of my life, CO for the other part, and the state laws regarding such incidences can be as different as the scenery from one to the next. Best to know the laws, sounds like you do, and some others posting here don't.

In AZ it takes certain criteria to be met that are in some ways subjective to enable lawful use of deadly force. The two most important:

Imminent fear that the perpetrator may use lethal force.

Ability of the perpetrator to use lethal force; easily established if they are wielding a weapon.

In AZ, unlike many may think, we can not shoot someone just because they break and enter, they must be a lethal threat. 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:07 AM »
Your kidding right???

People kill bad guys all the time in self defense here and dont go to prison. It all depends on the circumstances.

Its a dang shame when a citizen gets charged for defending his family when a burglar breaks into his house. On the other hand lighting some bum up with a carbine whose trying to dig some tin cans out of your garbage for a bottle of cheap wine is unnecessary. You did right showing restraint.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 04:21:20 AM »
I watch crimminals getting owned all the time on youtube  :old:

If I lived in the USA I would have big gun and a big tea service.

The benchmark for a decent person is are they fit to sit in your front room and have a cup of tea with your family :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 07:20:19 AM »
I think the law system is a bit messed up when, someone is in your home or property unwanted and if you give them an arse whoopin they can sue you.  There was a case here in Vermont a couple years back that happened in Rutland where an elderly lady like 65ish or something dont remember heard a noise and grabbed a shotgun went to the living room found a man inside of her house shot him, didnt kill him, but now she is in prison, and he is free to walk around.  That is NOT justice.  Like was posted before, someone breaks into your home and cuts their hand on the broken glass they can sue you for that?? :headscratch:  I have talked to cops here and they all have said, "you HAVE TO be able to PROVE that they were a threat to your life"  well I guess I would have to put one of my kitchen knives in his hand afterwards :devil  hahaha still cant get over the fact that he was swearing at you, that just blows my mind away :lol
except when it comes to...child rapists....rapists in general.
  these types should get WAY worse than just put down

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:53 AM »
Agreed nothing there to take a human life over,unless he continued to approach you. Taking a life is not easy to live with. When aluminum got so high for scrap value , someone was taking my gramps irrigation pipe. Me and my cousin caught the dewd and gave him the choice . We call the police, or you take the punishment we decide on. We trussed him up to the brush plate on my cousins 4x4 and ran it through a bunch of viney maple and just a dash of blackberry briars.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »
The wife was in town getting her hair done so I was getting some quality time playing Aces High when the dog lets out her "I'm concerned, I think I heard something" woof.  I live at the end of a street, semi-rural area.  I can look out from the computer room to see the front gate (yard is fenced) and one of the greenhouses on the property.  When I take a peek I see the door on the greenhouse is open.  Crap.

Slip the boots and jacket on, grab the M4 and the phone and the dog and I go check it out to find some amazinhunk sorting through the wife's bottle collection!  He was so intent looking through things he never saw or heard me coming.

I ask him what he's doing, he replies matter of fact like "Just looking around".

I respond with you're on my property, in my greenhouse…wtf are you doing here?  I said it um, firmly.  I've got the carbine at low ready, I'm old, ugly, I have pneumonia at present, I haven't shaved in a week and was using my best "I'm gonna mess you up" scowl.

He replied "Chill dude!  No need to get all excited ya know." and he stepped toward me.

Really?  Sometimes I really wish I lived in Texas.  :)

I stepped back from the door, clicked the safety off and told him to "get the f&% off my property, if you come back I will shoot you"…the dog added a deep "Woof!" as an exclamation point.  I gave him room to exit, he did and the whole time was giving me crap about what an a hole I am.

Frankly, the guy looked a bit whacko.  Didn't seem high or drunk…just bat poop crazy.  If someone confronted me while holding a gun I'd be a bit diplomatic in my dealings with them, not chipping my teeth the whole time.

This is twice now in a couple years I've run people off that were prowling around the property, just ordered a motion detector system to cover the approaches.

dam. glad it turned out ok. you'll be seeing him again though. you should held him for the police.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
some states are so bellybutton backwards I've heard stories of people attempting to break in and falling through the roof, the would be burglar then sues the owners. Even in the event of shooting a burglar if he does not die he can then come back and sue the owner. Personally in a ideal situation I'd like to beat a burglar so brain dead he couldn't tell the difference between night and a can of sphaggetti o's. good luck suing me then. errr I've been robbed, but never been in the house while they did it. burglars make me :mad:

in nj, if the intruder's on your property....like in that greenhouse, yuo have a duty to retreat. you could not have done anything other than call the pd in that situation. in the home......no duty to retreat.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »

you might wanna step away from the video game, and possibly even check yourself into a mental institution.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"