Author Topic: novice builder question  (Read 1795 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: novice builder question
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 04:01:13 AM »
Thin skinned as ever, huh? 

Guncrasher loves to be a smartarse, but mostly falls flat on his arse. We can have a little bit of fun at his expense :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 05:47:19 AM »
For anyone new to building computers, check out carey holzman on Youtube.  Lots of good video tutorials.  

Thanks, just watched one of his videos.  Very informative.  :aok

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 05:47:55 AM »
Guncrasher loves to be a smartarse, but mostly falls flat on his arse. We can have a little bit of fun at his expense :D

well ripley considering how out of touch you are in the real world.  since you have been implying since  last yer that win7 is getting hard to get even thou there's 5 store s  nearby that sells it.  then again since you dont live in the country I  wouldnt expect  any less from you.

btw do you still think win8 is the greatest thing since slice bread?

btw caldera, even a dweeb live me know how to hook up a 3 pin case fan to a mobo that has 4 pins.  it's right in the mobo documentation.  and for sure I wouldnt have buy any extra stuff since everything is included.

like i said before, live and learn boss  :salute

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 06:00:11 AM »
well ripley considering how out of touch you are in the real world.  since you have been implying since  last yer that win7 is getting hard to get even thou there's 5 store s  nearby that sells it.  then again since you dont live in the country I  wouldnt expect  any less from you.

btw do you still think win8 is the greatest thing since slice bread?

btw caldera, even a dweeb live me know how to hook up a 3 pin case fan to a mobo that has 4 pins.  it's right in the mobo documentation.  and for sure I wouldnt have buy any extra stuff since everything is included.

like i said before, live and learn boss  :salute

semp

Yes as said previously it's not presented in any brick&mortar stores anymore that I know of. Some selected specialized stores and online resources still offer it but that's it. You are making a career on personal attacks and failing miserably at it. I suggest looking up something else instead.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
You might want to look into that. I would expect the PS fan to run from power on to power off.

Depending on the Power Supply the fan may not turn on for a long time, or even ever in certain systems. Most decent quality ones anymore don't run until a certain load % or temperature to maintain their "silent" state as long as possible.

The SeaSonic X650-850 series uses the following;

Would never know it's on in my case (using the X750) due to the hellfire GPU fans under load.  :lol
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »
Yes as said previously it's not presented in any brick&mortar stores anymore that I know of. Some selected specialized stores and online resources still offer it but that's it. You are making a career on personal attacks and failing miserably at it. I suggest looking up something else instead.

you dont know of any "brick and mortar" stores that sell win7 because you dont live here.  perhaps in your country they dont sell it anymore.  but here we have:

bestbuy.  there's 4 or 5 stores within a 20 mile radius of my house   http://www.bestbuy.com/site/windows-7-professional-sp1-64-bit-system-builder-oem-windows/2603254.p;jsessionid=8B3FB13584C22E5B47DB1DD6A20B9787.bbolsp-app02-110?id=1218339241057&skuId=2603254&st=windows%207&lp=1&cp=1

fry's  now they sell only the full version which is 100 dollars more http://www.frys.com/product/6023288

and also newegg.  since they have a will call store about 20 miles from where I live.

I actually only shop at those 3 stores, so I am not sure if there's more such as officemax  who will also sell it.

am I failing miserably pointing out to you that win7 is still widely available?  cause if you want I can take pictures of the stores next time I got there.  then of course you may argue that they arent "brick and mortar" but rather they're made out of mostly wood.  just like most buildings here in the united states.

semp

edit: and this is not a personal attack.  I am just correcting the bad information you are providing.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:49:27 PM by guncrasher »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
Depending on the Power Supply the fan may not turn on for a long time, or even ever in certain systems. Most decent quality ones anymore don't run until a certain load % or temperature to maintain their "silent" state as long as possible.

The SeaSonic X650-850 series uses the following;
(Image removed from quote.)

Would never know it's on in my case (using the X750) due to the hellfire GPU fans under load.  :lol

Mine spools up at system start up and then immediately shuts off.  Auto-leveled my plane in-game and the fan was still off.  Corsair TX650.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
Mine spools up at system start up and then immediately shuts off.  Auto-leveled my plane in-game and the fan was still off.  Corsair TX650.

Running on max speed for a second at startup has been common practice for many computer fans for ages. It serves for automated testing purposes. 650 watts is quite a lot of juice for modern computers and it's common knowledge that AH doesn't stress a high end gaming rig too much, so it's quite possible that the PSU stays cool enough in silent mode. If you're uncertain about whether it works properly or not, run some benchmarking program in a loop for a while to see if the fan starts rotating. You might even want to hang a piece of knitting yarn in front of the outhale grill as a telltale.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
you dont know of any "brick and mortar" stores that sell win7 because you dont live here.  perhaps in your country they dont sell it anymore.  but here we have:

bestbuy.  there's 4 or 5 stores within a 20 mile radius of my house   http://www.bestbuy.com/site/windows-7-professional-sp1-64-bit-system-builder-oem-windows/2603254.p;jsessionid=8B3FB13584C22E5B47DB1DD6A20B9787.bbolsp-app02-110?id=1218339241057&skuId=2603254&st=windows%207&lp=1&cp=1

fry's  now they sell only the full version which is 100 dollars more http://www.frys.com/product/6023288

and also newegg.  since they have a will call store about 20 miles from where I live.

I actually only shop at those 3 stores, so I am not sure if there's more such as officemax  who will also sell it.

am I failing miserably pointing out to you that win7 is still widely available?  cause if you want I can take pictures of the stores next time I got there.  then of course you may argue that they arent "brick and mortar" but rather they're made out of mostly wood.  just like most buildings here in the united states.

semp

edit: and this is not a personal attack.  I am just correcting the bad information you are providing.

You just don't know how to read. If you fail to understand the wording 'brick and mortar stores that *I* know of' then you're beyond help.  :rolleyes:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »

So it did turn on.  :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 04:59:08 AM »
You just don't know how to read. If you fail to understand the wording 'brick and mortar stores that *I* know of' then you're beyond help.  :rolleyes:

oh you mean, like since I dont know of any brick and mortar factories that make cars, then they must also be hard to get.  my bad.  crap, and I am in the process of getting a loan to buy one.  what a waste of time.  do you know of any factories that make cars?

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
oh you mean, like since I dont know of any brick and mortar factories that make cars, then they must also be hard to get.  my bad.  crap, and I am in the process of getting a loan to buy one.  what a waste of time.  do you know of any factories that make cars?

semp

Hah stop making yourself a joke please. You're so desperate to attack me that you dig up a long forgotten thread from months ago lol. How lame is that? Especially considering you fail to understand that if you still have stores offering Win7 on shelves it doesn't mean the rest of the world still does lol.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:15:12 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
Hah stop making yourself a joke please. You're so desperate to attack me that you dig up a long forgotten thread from months ago lol. How lame is that? Especially considering you fail to understand that if you still have stores offering Win7 on shelves it doesn't mean the rest of the world still does lol.

but on the other hand ripley why are you so desperate to not admit that perhaps in other countries windows 7 is selling just as strong as ever?  in fact many online rig companies will give you the option to downgrade to win7.  you ever notice that the bb is populated by mostly people from the usa?  and when you make comments such as "I dont know of any brick and mortar store that sells it then it gives the impression that win7 is very hard to get.  after all not many people know you dont live in the same continent.

and you didnt make that comment only several months ago.  you didnt a day or two ago.  you arent actually telling a lie, but you are misleading as hell.

I'll tell you how desperate microsoft is getting.  right now, they're offering windows 8 as an upgrade for free.  not sure if they are doing that in your country as I dont really live there so I wont even make a comment about it.  I'll take your word if they do or dont.

semp

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »
Just curios, caldera, but did your Antec 900 case fans come with those built in fan speed toggle switches :L-M-H, and if so what did you set them to?

I, myself, have all mine toggled to M (medium speed)...

Glad to hear you got your pc build working good for you!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Just curios, caldera, but did your Antec 900 case fans come with those built in fan speed toggle switches :L-M-H, and if so what did you set them to?

I, myself, have all mine toggled to M (medium speed)...

Glad to hear you got your pc build working good for you!

TC

Thanks, it's working great.  All four are set to low speed.  After a few hours of playing AH yesterday, the CPU temp was a smoking hot 27 degrees C.    :aok
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."