Author Topic: Scoring  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
Scoring
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
I think the scoring system in the game is too convoluted and complex with too many variables, Is there a post out there some where that details how all of these scores are calculated and how they are averaged together to give a final ranking in a category (Fighter/Bomber/Attack..ect).

I guess that's Wish #1. A detailed explanation of scoring (maybe on the scoring page itself?)

Wish #2: Simplify the scoring system

Were are considered the 'Greatest' Aces in WWII judged by their hit %? Their kills per hour? Obviously they couldn't be judged by Kill/Death ratio because they only had one life :) But I think Fighter Ranks should only be judged by the following factors:

Total # of Kills
Kill/Death Ratio
Kills/Sortie (there were always mentioned of how many kills an Ace had in a sortie/day)

** On a side note: Assists were counted as half/kills or 1/3 kills depending on how many Friendlies injured the kill. These were added up until they made a whole kill. (US did this, Germany Did not) but what do assists count for in this game? If they exist then they should count towards kill count, if they do nothing then remove them from the game. Nothing sucks more than spending ammo and blowing up a plane in a furball only to find out all you get is an Assist which really doesn't count for anything anyway.(if this is true)

Edit: An even better scenario is when let say someone takes a 30 to the fuselage (all systems OK) and they are RTB, then you find them and its a 1v1 and you take their wing off. You were really the one that kills them, but because you did less total damage you get an assist?  :headscratch:

----------
Attack Sorties

Again should be scored the same as fighters as Air to Air kills.
Ground hits/targets should be counted  differently as they are now and as they were during the war.

Ground Targets Destroyed
Bomb hit%
GVs(Tanks) destroyed.

-------------

Bomber/Ground kills

Bombers were usually scored on:

Successful Bomber Missions flown(obviously successful ones as they had a quota to fill before they went home). (Sortie/Death ratio for purposes of the game)
On target bombs dropped (hit % with expensive Bombs)
Air targets killed (gunners).
Damaged Caused

-------------------------------------------

Being a new player it causes a bit of  :headscratch: looking at someone like TonyJoey with 105:1 K/D(as of this post) and NOT being #1 in Fighter Ranks. Because his kills per hour are not high enough..yet his K/D ratio is  700% better the next person in line (Bruv). Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:20:43 PM by Kruel »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Scoring
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
Wish #1 has already been granted:  http://www.hitechcreations.com/features/scoring

To wish number 2:

In short, if you take out kills/time for fighters you are changing the game dynamics. Right now, somone who takes flying "cautious" to the extreme has about no chance to end up #1, because his kills/time will suck (this is why the famous "protecting your score" by avoiding combat is actually just protecting your k/d, not your score as such.)
If you take out time as a factor, k/d alone will become massively important, making avoidment of any situation where you could possibly shot down very rewarding. Which ain't exactly great for gameplay in my opinion. Right now, someone who's avoiding a lot of combat opportunities to boost his k/d will pay the price.

And finally kills/time is a sign of skill. It's far more difficult to get a lot of kills, with a good k/d AND having a great k/time than just having many kills and a good k/d.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
Kills per sortie is actually a weak measurement because it is basically a test of whether you re-arm or not.

Kills per hour is the most important scoring metric to retain, and probably the one most indicative of skill IMO. Albeit it is a bit unfair to our friends across the world who have to hunt fights in off-peak.

I agree that hit percentage is bad to have as a scoring metric, although I would like it to continue to be kept track of. I don't see how it matters if you are getting the job done of shooting planes down. When I fly .50 planes a lot, my hit percentage always drops because those planes have lots of ammo and can hit from way out, which means plugging away even on relatively low percentage gun solutions is the rational thing to do. When I fly the La7 a lot, my hit percentage shoots way up because to hit with those guns I generally must damn near ram them before pulling the trigger. I don't see why an element of fighter piloting scoring should basically favor some gun packages over others.

Of course, all this is academic because I truly do not care about score rank in and of itself, I fly almost all my sorties as "attack" because it keeps me out of a caring about score mindset.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:08:32 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »
Although a decent score in fighter can be found fighting, I wish score was removed all together.
Too many take their score protecting to the extreme, circling like 20k sharks at even a whiff of a furball, running 25miles+ if they lose their advantage, running to friends if they are beginning to be given a hard time. the list goes on.
As for the removal of kills per time, that would only serve to make things worse. This OP wish is to severely ruin what gameplay there is in AcesHigh. I can't support in away way expect into the nearest trash can.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
Very good post Kruel and even better answers.

However, I have personally found that when I am able to throw caution to the wind and just have fun with my squadees and buddies, it usually yields the best score result.  :headscratch:

I do make a conscious effort to score the majority of my "fighter" sorties in the "attack" category, that helps as I like the group effort base capture portion of the game as well as the dogfight action.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
Too many take their score protecting to the extreme, circling like 20k sharks at even a whiff of a furball, running 25miles+ if they lose their advantage, running to friends if they are beginning to be given a hard time.

This does not really protect score. It mainly does protect K/D, which for some reason is being constantly confused with "score".

You could see my own fighter score as an example. I could have a much better overall fighter score if my kills / time weren't so low, even at a huge expense of K/D.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
Ok, i found a much better example of highlighting the K/D vs score perception problem.

For this, I looked up the player with the greatest discrepancy between a high K/D and a low k/h of last tour. Let's call him Player A:

K/D 28
K/S 1.56
k/H 1.37
hit% 2.5
points 7507

Even with this extremely high K/D (4th place!) he ended up at #708, not at least due to his rather abysmal k/h

So what would have happened if he had doubled his K/H wile retaining only a quarter of his K/D?

K/D 7
K/S 1.56
k/H 2.74
hit% 2.5
points 7507

I ran the numbers, and he would have ended up #526, that's almost 200 ranks better

If the K/D vs K/H disparity was the result of a try to "protect his score" (as people are usually quick to allege), it surely backfired.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:38:14 PM by Lusche »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
I say don't fix what isn't broken.  I mean if Bruv is ranked #1  then that is normal right?   ;) 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
I like to shoot at the moon, trees, barns, photon emitting particles or anything else that may cross my path.

That does not effect my score does it?

:bolt:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:33:21 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
Wow. Honestly, before this thread I had no idea that getting killed had such little relevence toward ones rank and score.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
Excellent post! Now explain the collision model again Sisyphus  ;)

Ok, i found a much better example of highlighting the K/D vs score perception problem.

For this, I looked up the player with the greatest discrepancy between a high K/D and a low k/h of last tour. Let's call him Player A:

K/D 28
K/S 1.56
k/H 1.37
hit% 2.5
points 7507

Even with this extremely high K/D (4th place!) he ended up at #708, not at least due to his rather abysmal k/h

So what would have happened if he had doubled his K/H wile retaining only a quarter of his K/D?

K/D 7
K/S 1.56
k/H 2.74
hit% 2.5
points 7507

I ran the numbers, and he would have ended up #526, that's almost 200 ranks better

If the K/D vs K/H disparity was the result of a try to "protect his score" (as people are usually quick to allege), it surely backfired.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 07:05:04 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:49:35 AM by hitech »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile