Author Topic: Oculus Rift Dk2  (Read 7256 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift Dk2
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 02:52:29 AM »
The Rift DK2 will be the 4th VR headset I've used with Aces High since oh ~2005.

It's never been a problem before. As per my many previous posts you can scale the head tracking (same as on TrackIR).

I don't think "Rift neck" syndrome will be as prevalent as apple-bananas-cramp syndrome ;)

Perhaps all that head turning is making you dizzy since you seem to have a crusade against Apple despite knowing very little about it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »
Finally got the Rift dk2 to work in a flight sim DCS. All I can say is wow. The immersion factor is incredible.

Hitech I hope you release a full implementation of this as I really think it could breathe some extra life into AH. It is almost like being in the real thing and it is only the price of a good monitor.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 04:11:23 AM »
Finally got the Rift dk2 to work in a flight sim DCS. All I can say is wow. The immersion factor is incredible.

Hitech I hope you release a full implementation of this as I really think it could breathe some extra life into AH. It is almost like being in the real thing and it is only the price of a good monitor.

When Rift gets into production I will definately get one myself. I've been contemplating a multi monitor setup but I think VR is the direction I want to go to. Even though my wife will make fun of me doing the Stevie Wonder act in front of the computer.  :O
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rockdog

• Copper Member
      • http://www.348thfightergroup.com/
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
I just got my DK2 in and I'm here in the Dallas area. If anyone from the HiTech team wants try it out, let me know. I have the latest SDK and will be happy to work with you guys to get a version recompiled.
http://www.348thfightergroup.com/
a.k.a. Raji (Warbirds 1994-99)
a.k.a. Rockdog (1999-2002)
a.k.a. Hayduke (2002-04)
a.k.a. Rockdog (2004-Current)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
What function is currently missing with AH?  Could it be used simply as a monitor in conjunction with trackIR? I would like to use it in a motion simulator and would need the gyroscopic tracking disabled.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
When Rift gets into production I will definately get one myself. I've been contemplating a multi monitor setup but I think VR is the direction I want to go to. Even though my wife will make fun of me doing the Stevie Wonder act in front of the computer.  :O

I think it may be the best solution as well.  Doesn't tax the video card as hard as a triple monitor and looks like it's going to be about the price of a good monitor.  My wife's worried if I get one she'll never see me again though.  :devil

jimson- From what I've read in passing on it, the DK2 pretty much needs to be natively supported by the game or it won't work very well.  The DK1 wasn't as limited in that respect as the DK2.  Haven't done any indepth research on it, but I saw that on one of their forums.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
VorpX for DK2 is out, my headsets still sitting in customs. Once I get my hands on it I'll see if vorpx plays ball with AH.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »
I had previously tried Vorpx with no luck. Downloaded the new version with DK2 implemented (in alpha) and could get into AH but no head tracking (even though roll seemed to be working). I could not figure out a way to access the clipboard so was stuck in tower with no way to quit other than killing in task mgr. Vorpx is using extended mode and I tried as both secondary and primary monitor.

I am also following the Parpar3d effort and a couple of guys have done plugins to get it working in extended mode with head tracking but everyone agrees the extended mode is a poor implementation. LM is working to provide support for direct mode which all the developers over there think will be much much better.

I hope you get yours soon as you obviously know a lot more about this than I do. As of now it is still looking like we will need Hitech's help.

Terry

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
I've been trying out DK2 at a friends place today. 'Elite Dangerous' just blew me away. It's implementation is awesome. The only flightsim I could try was Warthunder. Although I had some trouble with the sharpness of the picture - not much time adjusting and trying out the different cups since I am moderately near-shighted - I enjoyed the feel of flying. Landing felt so much more natural and easy - you could easily judge the distance to the ground. Amazing...!

The future is VR. I am really looking forward to the next generation of hardware and software support.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
Got mine today, the head tracking in the DK2 is beautiful compared to the DK1.

I managed to get AH going with the Tridef drivers and DK2 in legacy mode. The distortion was a little off (warped edges) and there was some graphic issues around edges (probably coz the tridef drivers are for the DK1), and of course head tracking doesn't work.

Just waiting for someone to update OpenTrack and/or FreePIE...

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »
Are Tridef drivers better than Vorpx? I didn't try them because they haven't been updated for dk2 yet but will revisit if you think they are better.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:09 AM »
I've been trying out DK2 at a friends place today. 'Elite Dangerous' just blew me away. It's implementation is awesome.
I'm an alpha backer of Elite: Dangerous so have been alpha and beta testing for some time now.  I tried the DK2 in it at a recent convention and have to agree it looked awesome.  We should be getting one sometime during this month.   :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:32 AM »
Here's our new product that works with Oculus Rift. Check the lower videos to see the VR interaction that now includes tactile feedback.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1663270989/project-perception-neuron

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 03:19:11 AM »
DCS World is insane on the DK2, you feel like you could reach out and touch the cockpit. The 6DoF head tracking is to die for.

Hurry up with the DK2 support HT...  :)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 03:35:15 AM »
Vulcan - how did you get DCS World running with DK2? My friend has trouble with serious juddering. He tried the suggestions from the OR and DCS boards with no avail. What are your HW specs?
Real men fly Radial!