Author Topic: Ki-84 vs. Brain Surgery  (Read 9436 times)

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Ki-84 vs. Brain Surgery
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
That sounds like a wicked fun challenge! Almost makes me want to resub just to do that.  :devil

I dare you!

Edit:

Then fly the Hurricane MK1 the next tour... mwahahahahahahahahahaha  :devil

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2014, 11:24:20 AM »
That sounds like a wicked fun challenge! Almost makes me want to resub just to do that.  :devil

Late War Tour 171 was an all P-40 tour for me, netting a 134/53 K/D versus fighters. 

Being that you kill me in one turn every time we meet, you could easily rack up 500 fighter kills.  :aok

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Late War Tour 171 was an all P-40 tour for me, netting a 134/53 K/D versus fighters. 

Being that you kill me in one turn every time we meet, you could easily rack up 500 fighter kills.  :aok

How many sorties... Just curious :D
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I asked him to explain in quantifiable, verifiable terms. He has yet to do that.

I'm guessing you want turn radius and rate at high speeds.  You can do that as easily as he can.  The burden of proof is in the court room.  You're on the internet bro.   :)

Claiming "no high speed maneuverability" is not only false, it's also entirely subjective and useless in the course of a discussion such as this. Had he actually pulled the plane performance statistics, he'd find that the Ki-84 falls squarely in the middle of high-speed plane performance and is actually very average.

Further, it's not a lack of high-speed maneuverability that makes the aircraft appear to turn poorly, but rather the fact that the Ki does not give up E easily. This makes it hard to slow down the aircraft to its optimal turning airspeed because it doesn't bleed very much E in turns. However, this is actually a desired trait in turnfighting aircraft... and the aircraft would not handle well at all if it didn't retain its E in this manner. Therefore, it actually has good high speed maneuverability, it simply doesn't bleed E quickly enough to use most overshoot tactics.

Complaining about this is akin to complaining that a D9 has horrible turning at low speed; the D9 has horrible turning at all speeds (and if you took time to generate for the plane, you'd find it's 3rd or 4th worst-turning aircraft in the game). However, it dumps speed so quickly that it can cause overshoots easily, as well as perform some stall maneuvers, giving the illusion it turns well because you can drop airspeed quickly at high speed. At low speed, you have no excess E to drop and its poor turning becomes apparent. This is a side effect of high wing-loading, just as a lack of speed loss is a side-effect of low-wing-loading on aircraft like the Ki-84.

All of that said, I'm not sure why people are trying to make the Ki out to be some kind of skilled plane to fly by claiming it has horrible performance in certain realms of flight. It's almost laughable, as if they're trying to preemptively save their man card. If people actually cared about planes that took skill to fly, they'd be in P-40's. This is just another thread where people are trying to make excuses for their plane of choice, as we all do; the only difference here is that it seems the people that fly the Ki can't even properly explain their plane performance.

It is subjective, but it's an opinion shared by most people who have flown and fought the Ki-84 in an MA setting.  I call that a raging clue.  :banana:

Yes, but even if I hadn't, it has nothing to do with someone else having to verify their claims.

I can't find kills in the Ki-84 with Skyyr or Kast.  What other names have you flown under?  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
How many sorties... Just curious :D

190 sorties (all in fighter mode) - 205 kills/55 deaths

134 fighter kills - 59 bomber/attack plane kills - 12 vehicle/boat kills

53 deaths to fighters - 2 deaths to vehicle/boats
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
That sounds like a wicked fun challenge! Almost makes me want to resub just to do that.  :devil

I think Im gonna try the challenge too. Been getting bored with gameplay lately.

In fact, I think we all should try it  :devil
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
I'm guessing you want turn radius and rate at high speeds.  You can do that as easily as he can.  The burden of proof is in the court room.  You're on the internet bro.   :)

And I've ran them. In fact, my post you quoted implies that clearly. With that , it's obvious you didn't bother to read it. I'd post them straight from the Excel sheet, but I'm out of town at the moment.

It is subjective, but it's an opinion shared by most people who have flown and fought the Ki-84 in an MA setting.  I call that a raging clue.  :banana:

A majority of the people here couldn't handle a 1v1 in their own planes. That's another "raging clue" that they might not actually know what they're talking about, but I digress. :banana:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:10:14 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »
Since shida isn't about (but I was going to say it anyway)   KI-84 = Spit 16 in drag,   Uber mode plane!   Plus it's a bullet sponge.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
And I've ran them. In fact, my post you quoted implies that clearly. With that , it's obvious you didn't bother to read it. I'd post them straight from the Excel sheet, but I'm out of town at the moment.

A majority of the people here couldn't handle a 1v1 in their own planes. That's another "raging clue" that they might not actually know what they're talking about, but I digress. :banana:

You haven't ever flown the Ki-84 in the MA.  That's the most raging of all raging clues.   :)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
You haven't ever flown the Ki-84 in the MA.  That's the most raging of all raging clues.   :)

Oh I have. The only one between us who has a track record of not being able to make good on their claims is you. Eh? Eh? :rofl
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:37:48 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Oh I have. The only one between us who couldn't make good on their claims is you. Eh? Eh? :rofl:

Skyyr, are you being dishonest with us?
      -AoM-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
 I havent flown the KI84 in the MA since about tour 50!   I bet I know how it performs in all it's flight realms.

The KI suffers from a stiff elevator over 400mph or so,much like the 109's do and it has a tendency to shed ailerons if you exceed 430 mph but I dont think it cant manuver at speed.  If you leave CT on you may have difficulties but if you manually trim the 84 you can make it do things it just wont do with combat trim on.

IMHO it's in the same class as the spiteen,K4 and any other fighter players consider "superior".

I've read quite a few things in this thread that I dont agree with,someone said the flaps dont come out easy.... :rolleyes:   They deploy at 170 a mere 20mph slower than the 109's and 20 mph faster than the spits.   There's more but I'll stop now.

:salute 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »
I havent flown the KI84 in the MA since about tour 50!   I bet I know how it performs in all it's flight realms.

The KI suffers from a stiff elevator over 400mph or so,much like the 109's do and it has a tendency to shed ailerons if you exceed 430 mph but I dont think it cant manuver at speed.  If you leave CT on you may have difficulties but if you manually trim the 84 you can make it do things it just wont do with combat trim on.

IMHO it's in the same class as the spiteen,K4 and any other fighter players consider "superior".

I've read quite a few things in this thread that I dont agree with,someone said the flaps dont come out easy.... :rolleyes:   They deploy at 170 a mere 20mph slower than the 109's and 20 mph faster than the spits.   There's more but I'll stop now.

just some clarification  :D

flaps come out at 160
Ailerons dont come off until over 500...I have gotten her to 505 without losing parts.

she flys great at 400.... maneuvers just fine...once you start getting beyond that yes she stiffens up, but not very bad untill you are in the 460-480 range

she is the best fighter in the Hanger...or damn close to it.

you will be hard put to find someone who has put as much time actually fighting in the KI84 as I did.

fighting the gang pretty much every sortie I still have an overall K/D of over 2 in it. and my aim is horrible...if I had Grizz like Aim in the KI I would never be killed.(or very rarely)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Oh I have. The only one between us who has a track record of not being able to make good on their claims is you. Eh? Eh? :rofl

YOUTUBE!!
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »
just some clarification  :D

flaps come out at 160
Ailerons dont come off until over 500...I have gotten her to 505 without losing parts.

she flys great at 400.... maneuvers just fine...once you start getting beyond that yes she stiffens up, but not very bad untill you are in the 460-480 range

she is the best fighter in the Hanger...or damn close to it.

you will be hard put to find someone who has put as much time actually fighting in the KI84 as I did.

fighting the gang pretty much every sortie I still have an overall K/D of over 2 in it. and my aim is horrible...if I had Grizz like Aim in the KI I would never be killed.(or very rarely)

Ink,   While you may be able to exceed the speeds I quoted if you try to manuver the 84 above 430 mph the ailerons will depart if you exceed 2.5 G's,now granted it's difficult to get the 84 to pull more than 2 G's at those speeds I am able to using trim.

I was positive the first notch of flaps came out at 170 TAS but I also know I dont have as much time in the KI as you do,so I will have to check into that later! Not that it really matters as the difference is small and TAS and IAS can vary so we could both be correct...... :devil

I have also managed to take the KI over 500 mph without breaking it but any inputs can cause you to loose parts and thats likely not the best part of the KI's flight envelope.

I'm sure you know Ink,the KI is best used fighting uphill,using a spiral climb to get above and behind your enemy and then giving them a taste of those 20mm and machine guns.