Author Topic: Cannons  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Cannons
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Because cannon rounds are measured in millimeters. Damn metric system.
 - 'murica!  :bolt:

:devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:19 PM »
The common belief that the US found the .50 adequate and didn't bother with cannons is completely wrong. Even pre-war the USAAF wanted cannon armed planes; the P-38 and P-39 were both designed with cannon armament. However, the Americans had real problems making their cannons work properly. The Oldsmobile cannon in the P-39 often could only get a shot or two off before jamming, and the US 20 mm Hispano development was a complete debacle of incompetence, institutional bickering and Anglophobia. So when war came the USAAF had to resign any hopes of cannon armed fighters and focus on the only reliable gun they had: The Browning M2. It was overweight (weighed almost as much as a 20 mm MG 151), but it was reliable and packed a good punch for the size of its round.

I haven't seen you in so long I thought you might have died or fell off the ends of the earth.    :lol
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
I've been around. :)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
The last time Americans traded cannon fire with the Redcoats was during the war of 1812...

Yes, that's what I was referring to. And it was a joke; I think both sides at the time had light 6lb'r and the big gun was a 16lb'r. Although somewhere I seem to recall some French help in the way I mentioned...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
Williams' site is excellent. Highly recommended read.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »

Yes, that's what I was referring to. And it was a joke; I think both sides at the time had light 6lb'r and the big gun was a 16lb'r. Although somewhere I seem to recall some French help in the way I mentioned...

Oh... I thought you meant the revolutionary war. The one you won.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 11:44:04 PM »
Oh... I thought you meant the revolutionary war. The one you won.

We didn't win it so much as we stuck it out long enough for the King to say screw it, they ain't worth the expense.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:50 AM »
That's the definition of winning. Or as Ho Chi Minh said it: "You will kill ten of us, we will kill one of you, but in the end, you will tire of it first." Oppressing a hostile population has never worked in the long run, and never will. You won your freedom, and in doing so inspired many other peoples to fight for theirs.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:30 AM »
That's the definition of winning. Or as Ho Chi Minh said it: "You will kill ten of us, we will kill one of you, but in the end, you will tire of it first." Oppressing a hostile population has never worked in the long run, and never will. You won your freedom, and in doing so inspired many other peoples to fight for theirs.

Yes but unfortunately only to have a huge portion of our population embracing authoritarianism these days.  Demanding more restrictions and less freedom all in the name of feeling safe. 
Frequently they claim it's for the purpose of making sure everyone gets an equal piece of the pie regardless of what they contributed (if anything) to actually make the pie.  Just as often it's done for the purpose of "saving the environment" even though most of these folks believe that activism is the same as taking action except activism deserves more merit.

And less often, for the sake of protecting their sense of tradition.

Too many Americans take for granted what the founders fought hard and sacrificed for because they'd rather be a stooge for their favorite aspiring dictators.  All because since they know what's best for everyone else they feel entitled to impose their will upon everyone else.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »
Oh, I'm not going to touch that one...  :noid

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
Although they may have been lent to us by Napoleon, don't recall exactly.

LOL LOL LOL.   :aok

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
Oh, I'm not going to touch that one...  :noid

The temptation is strong in this one....

:D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Why did colonial planes not have cannons?.

This might have the answer you're looking for Zack....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vziD7-_Bn9A

If not,well watch to the end and you'll find a clue!

:salute

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
From what i understand two major reasons americans didn't see cannons used was wing bending (weak engines to pull ammo into chambers), and the firing pins were too short.

Wings bending and the G load on the ammo belt ment the engines that pulled the ammo in were too weak, when the ammo did chamber, the pins would not connect. HOW every other nation got over this issues before the americas,WHY it was never solved untill after wwII is..beyond me.

But..all in all we still had the .50's being pumped out all over the world, so i guess the direct need was not that much needed. Probably one of the major reasons jets like the f86 had machine guns and not cannon.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."