Author Topic: Cross Control Stall Tutorial  (Read 15820 times)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Cross Control Stall Tutorial
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
my last trick I will share  :neener:

enjoy sucking
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2014, 06:35:40 PM »
The way I see it, this post contradicts itself. Am I wrong?

If you have no wing loading, you could fly the aircraft down to 1kt forward airspeed and still not stall, even if the regular stall speed was 60kts.

What determines a stall is the loading of the wing vs the lift produced by it. Lift is determined by airflow and AoA (assuming a fixed, constant wing). Therefore, airspeed in and of itself cannot determine when an aircraft stalls - it's only one of several factors.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 28-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »

What determines a stall is the loading of the wing vs the lift produced by it.

Incorrect.  A stall is exceeding the critical angle of attack.  Load factor has no effect on when the wing stalls….the wing stalls at X angle of attack period.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
Right, I understand about no wing loading, thanks Skyyr. The problem is I do not consider falling straight down to the center of Earth's gravity to be "flying". I believe that flying requires the ability to change direction on any plane of movement with complete control, or something like that. To put it another way, if you're just along for the ride now, you're not flying anymore.

That's just how I see it. Respectfully, I am unlikely to see it any other way whether it's every aeronautical engineer in the world or just some hick living in the woods trying to tell me different.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »
Incorrect.  A stall is exceeding the critical angle of attack.  Load factor has no effect on when the wing stalls….the wing stalls at X angle of attack period.

Sorry, my bad. I attempted to dumb down explaining accelerated stalls and lessened wing loading. Thanks for catching that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:09:02 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 28-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »
Mar when you assume a 1g load then the stall speed coincides with the critical AOA. With a 2g load the stall speed is higher. The only consistent condition for a stall is the critical AOA.

Skyyr the critical AOA is the same regardless of load. When you are at the critical  AOA you can only increase the load by increasing speed first. I assume you know that and misspoke.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
No, I did get the answer. I just stepped out of the discussion for a while so I could look at it from the outside.

The problem was that since my youth I learned that "stall" meant losing control authority, usually due to falling below flying speed. I don't know if it was changed since then, or if everyone else was just using it wrong. Bottom line is as you said, according to the FAA the term stall doesn't have anything to do with airspeed.

But I have one more bone to pick.

The way I see it, this post contradicts itself. Am I wrong?

It's not something new, it's always been Angle of Attack, some where between 0 and 18 degrees on most wings, AOA  , allows the wing to develop lift, Anything over that the wing is stalled.   Even in a 500 MPH dive , if the AOA, the difference between the wing cord line and the relative Wind exceeds the critical AOA the wing will not generate lift. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2014, 10:55:21 PM »
could we talk about how the air france jet ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 )stalled out of the sky when the speed meter froze, or maybe speculate how the air asia flight might have stalled out of the sky?

it seems our "safe" jetliners walk a fine line at 33,000 ft.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2014, 05:45:45 AM »
could we talk about how the air france jet ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 )stalled out of the sky when the speed meter froze, or maybe speculate how the air asia flight might have stalled out of the sky?

it seems our "safe" jetliners walk a fine line at 33,000 ft.
Asia, flight into a super cell.  447, would have to reread the transcripts.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »
Traveler,

You have won this one but not any friends. Once you bring in real life, yeah, Poison is, and probably never will be able to compete with you in that arena. Mayhap you are not being fair. In this cartoon arena, you just pooped on his pixel manhood while he was giving away one of the hairy arsed secrets so many lust after.

If you haven't noticed, he doesn't give a ratz hairy part about your real world experience as a real pilot because how can he compete at that level. You win there like killing a gnat with a nuke. What matters is his perception that he is superior at manipulating a kiddy game against other kiddys and you are one the of the old ferts he can make cry in some manner.

You are going to have to live with that. He is not going to change or admit to your gnat nuking superiority as long as the arena is this kiddy game.

:aok

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
That sounds like a Chandelle or perhaps an Immelmann, depending the definition of vertical.  Performed properly, neither includes a stall.  So, the question remains as to why the word "stall" is included.  Also, where did the term "stall turn" originate?  As one of Traveler's posted YouTube videos demonstrates, a series of events, turn-stall-spin has ruined the day of many a pilot in the traffic pattern.  It's certainly not a maneuver a well trained, competent pilot would depend on in air combat.  :salute

And that.  :aok

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »
Incorrect.  A stall is exceeding the critical angle of attack.  Load factor has no effect on when the wing stalls….the wing stalls at X angle of attack period.

Excatly, when AoA is too big, the air flow over the wing can no longer follow the wing surface and when it happens the wing stops producing lift.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(fluid_mechanics) For those hwo wants to learn more about it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
Also, where did the term "stall turn" originate?  

I wonder if it's a hold over from WW1.  I've read a few WW1 pilot accounts that mention doing a stall turn while "stunting" (aerobatics) and the descriptions of the maneuvers themselves appear to be maneuvers like hammerheads and chandelles.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »
Dang, can't believe you guys are still arguing this stuff. :rofl
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:28 AM »
I wonder if it's a hold over from WW1.  I've read a few WW1 pilot accounts that mention doing a stall turn while "stunting" (aerobatics) and the descriptions of the maneuvers themselves appear to be maneuvers like hammerheads and chandelles.

ack-ack
Although the aircraft may be on the verge of a stall, a properly performed hammerhead or Chandelle doesn't include stalling the aircraft. 

All gave some, Some gave all