Author Topic: Cross Control Stall Tutorial  (Read 16534 times)

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
Re: Cross Control Stall Tutorial
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »
Oh wow. I didn't know bad angle of attack is the only thing that can make a wing stall. This means I can fly level at 2 mph! I'm going to try that the next time I get to fly a real plane!
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
Oh wow. I didn't know bad angle of attack is the only thing that can make a wing stall. This means I can fly level at 2 mph! I'm going to try that the next time I get to fly a real plane!

Yes, you need to do some reading, but there is also some free video on the internet that will do a good job explaining AOA, Relative Wind, cord line.  

this from the FAA
"The widespread presence of angle-of-attack indicators in general aviation aircraft could reduce fatal loss-of-control accidents caused by inadvertent stalls, said the FAA, announcing an initiative to promote installing the devices in aircraft and educate pilots in their use.

In an Information for Operators (InFO) publication released July 25, the FAA’s Flight Standards Service called for voluntary installation of angle-of-attack (AOA) based systems in GA aircraft as original equipment and for retrofitting. The InFO, geared toward airmen, builds on a previously issued policy memo from the agency’s Aircraft Certification Service on "streamlining the design and production approval process of non-required/supplemental AOA-based systems for GA airplanes."

Notice they are not talking about airspeed to prevent stalls.  Remember  that any aircraft will stall at any airspeed fast or slow.  It's the AOA that causes a wing to stall..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:42:50 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »

It means you can't fly level at 2 MPH unless your AOA is below the stall AOA. Lift is AOA and speed. You can stall at 200 MPH with a lot of lift by exceeding the stall AOA.

I'd like to see you beat me once in this game traveler, then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about :)

You know enough to explain what to do and what happens. You're still learning to explain why it happens. Traveler is trying to help you.  

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
I'd like to see you beat me once in this game traveler, then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about :)

Tell you what. I'll start at 1k you start at 10.

Great, just great, that will help me a lot.  You beating him in game surely will teach me what the correct terminology is for what we are doing while flying, so your point is just awesome, and typical.  I for one would like to know the correct terminology and have it used when describing maneuvers.  This thread, well it ain't doing that.  With all the chest thumping as per usual crap, I have no idea what the correct terminology is.  Great job gents.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
teach me what the correct terminology is for what we are doing while flying

Yeah, a lot of incorrect labels due to innocent ignorance with "flat spin" and "barrel roll" in the lead.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »

I'm on with my squad every Saturday night, we fly as Knights, come fly with us or against us, come shoot me down.  what's your ingame name, I'm Traveler.  we fly starting at 7 EST .  We always fly heavy into a target an try to dog fight our way out.  We have a blast.  I get shoot down a lot, I stink so killing me doesn't take much. But come out and enjoy the night.  Check out our Wiki page.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
Great, just great, that will help me a lot.  You beating him in game surely will teach me what the correct terminology is for what we are doing while flying, so your point is just awesome, and typical.  I for one would like to know the correct terminology and have it used when describing maneuvers.  This thread, well it ain't doing that.  With all the chest thumping as per usual crap, I have no idea what the correct terminology is.  Great job gents.

You missed the point... (And the sarcasm)  :devil
This thread is about an in game maneuver.

His response is about a name of a real life maneuver.
My response is about in game flying.

Which is more related?

you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Why aren't we calling the maneuvers in game by the correct name that is used in the real world.  Is there any reasons they should be called anything different?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Zoney, watch some of the videos that I posted related to the video that xpoisonx posted, the instructor is using the correct terms and is properly relating the cause and result of the series of stalls encountered.   FAA posts a ton of free information about aircraft flight and it's available free online.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2014, 03:56:03 PM »
Why aren't we calling the maneuvers in game by the correct name that is used in the real world.  Is there any reasons they should be called anything different?

When you want to talk to someone in game do you pull out a 1940 battery powered radio to communicate with them?

HiTech

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
I'm on with my squad every Saturday night, we fly as Knights, come fly with us or against us, come shoot me down.  what's your ingame name, I'm Traveler.  we fly starting at 7 EST .  We always fly heavy into a target an try to dog fight our way out.  We have a blast.  I get shoot down a lot, I stink so killing me doesn't take much. But come out and enjoy the night.  Check out our Wiki page.

My previous post was meant to relate to the "off-topicness" of yours but hey there's no point in arguing with a bunch of rocket scientists (even if the game is not about rockets  :devil)

You can call it what you wish  :salute

HiTech

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
You missed the point... (And the sarcasm)  :devil
This thread is about an in game maneuver.

His response is about a name of a real life maneuver.
My response is about in game flying.

Which is more related?

Your point is that because the maneuver is in game that it is somehow different than the exact same maneuver performed in real life.  On that we disagree and I think HiTech Creations would disagree with you also.  Their aircraft modeling is all about being as realistic as they can be, given the limitations they are faced with.

Why you would want to use the wrong terminology to try to educate others is beyond me.  It's not that difficult  to learn.  Understanding why aircraft react and work the way they do might help you become a better game pilot then you already are.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
My previous post was meant to relate to the "off-topicness" of yours but hey there's no point in arguing with a bunch of rocket scientists (even if the game is not about rockets  :devil)

You can call it what you wish  :salute

I was responding to this, which was very off topic I agree, but it was your post, not mine.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:42:03 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
A stall turn is a vertical climb with a 180 reversal as you run out of airspeed.

That sounds like a Chandelle or perhaps an Immelmann, depending the definition of vertical.  Performed properly, neither includes a stall.  So, the question remains as to why the word "stall" is included.  Also, where did the term "stall turn" originate?  As one of Traveler's posted YouTube videos demonstrates, a series of events, turn-stall-spin has ruined the day of many a pilot in the traffic pattern.  It's certainly not a maneuver a well trained, competent pilot would depend on in air combat.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all