Author Topic: Newest family member  (Read 1465 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Newest family member
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »
That's my intention. My GF usually leaves for work at 1500, and when I class up, I'll be getting home at about 1645, so he would really only be in there for a couple hours at a time, but I would MUCH rather have him caged up for a couple hours but still alive and unharmed when I get home to take him out and run and play!

Good stuff!   With a metal crate I usually place a cover over it an old sheet or blanket will do fine. It gives the dog a sense of security and helps stop some distractions.

My old girls,had to put her down a year ago was afraid of thunderstorms so she would seek refuge in her crate. I used a large plastic type so I could cover it completely,as soon as I covered the door she would finally settle down and ride out the storms.

It seems you have learnt your first lesson,ignore bad behavior and praise proper,this is especially true when dealing with a pup!  You want your GSD to be confident and disiplined,punishing bad behavior in a pup can do more harm than good.  If the pup gets too out of control,a time out in his crate will do wonders..... I should add dont leave to dog in the crate too long as that may be considered "cruel".

Oh and remember until it's about 6 months it's still a baby and wont have total control over bowel and bladder,frequent trips outside after play,eating sleep,etc. as I said before will help but accidents will happen.

If you want a cheap toy for the dog,trust me you can spend a fortune on toys,get a length of natural fiber rope,jute,sisal or cotton and cut it into 2 to 3 ft lengths then try some big knots in it!  I like the rubber tires they have for dogs,about the only toy that lasts more than a day with mine!

:salute

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »
If you want a cheap toy for the dog,trust me you can spend a fortune on toys,get a length of natural fiber rope,jute,sisal or cotton and cut it into 2 to 3 ft lengths then try some big knots in it!  I like the rubber tires they have for dogs,about the only toy that lasts more than a day with mine!

It's funny you mention that. He's learned "No" already (Just the word in a stern voice) and so he's stopped chewing furniture, but it means we have to buy him a new toy every day because he DESTROYS them almost instantly. I haven't seen the tires you've mentioned, but the rope is already a mainstay here.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 02:37:59 AM »
 Kong brand toys are great and long lasting,stay away from nylabones as they can splinter and cause medical emergencies!!!

IIIRC the tires are called "tirebiters" they come in several sizes and usually have a rope attached,my dog removes that in a few seconds but the tires actually last for a long time,same with a kong ball,a must have for dogs with strong jaws.

I get my rope at the surplus store for pennies a foot,a marina may carry what you want also,just make sure you use a natural fiber. Same goes for toys,rubber is ok but stay away from anything plastic,dogs can get small slivers and damage the digestive tract.

Something to consider,will you trim the dogs nails or will you pay for it. If you learn to do it yourself,buy a quality tool.It will last forever and will make the task somewhat easier.Black nails are the hardest to do but not impossible,the sooner you get him acustom to this the better.Trying to trim a 75lb dogs nails when he doesnt want you to can be frustrating in the least. You may even want a groomer to show you how!

Ya they learn quick,GSD being a working dog has a high drive to please it's master,they more you teach it the better the dog will be!

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 08:09:11 AM »
I'm not even going to try to tell you how to raise your dog, I just offer one bit of advice.
Show the dog as much love as they show you.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
Something to consider,will you trim the dogs nails or will you pay for it. If you learn to do it yourself,buy a quality tool.It will last forever and will make the task somewhat easier.Black nails are the hardest to do but not impossible,the sooner you get him acustom to this the better.Trying to trim a 75lb dogs nails when he doesnt want you to can be frustrating in the least. You may even want a groomer to show you how!

We actually haven't decided that yet. We mess with his paws a lot to get him used to people touching them for grooming, and he doesn't mind at all, but while we were waiting for the vet checkup, we took him to the groomer at Petsmart. While I can certainly dish out $6 for that, they quicked him pretty bad even though we went the grind option instead of the clip, and that REALLY upset me. A minor one is understandable, I know it's tough, but they got him GOOD, so I may not be returning to them for grooming.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
We actually haven't decided that yet. We mess with his paws a lot to get him used to people touching them for grooming, and he doesn't mind at all, but while we were waiting for the vet checkup, we took him to the groomer at Petsmart. While I can certainly dish out $6 for that, they quicked him pretty bad even though we went the grind option instead of the clip, and that REALLY upset me. A minor one is understandable, I know it's tough, but they got him GOOD, so I may not be returning to them for grooming.

You can get a clotting stick,they sell them at drugstores for shaving! They are a small white pencil with antiseptic and a clotting agent! If you do the nails yourself be sure to get one.  If you cut the quick real bad you may need to cauterize it,but thats only in a real severe case I use a soldering iron for that!!!

Really it's best to learn to do it yourself,and do it often so you only need to take a little off,as I said black nails are the hardest but it you look at the underside of the nail you can see the quick.   I use a small mill file to clean up the edges after I clip the nail.

When I was actively showing dogs they got alot of attention to their feet and nails,was about all the grooming I needed besides a good bath!

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:46 AM »
"Anybody who knows anything about training dogs would look at this and laugh uproariously."

Maybe you should look one up and ask before making such stupid assumptions.

Notice that typically the only people who cage their dogs are those who exploit the animals and can't be bothered to live with them. Canines are not bred to be confined and as mentioned before (should be common knowledge with all the "experts" regurgitating erroneous data) will kill themselves in an effort to please us. Asking their opinion is of no merit.

A cage is a tool for keeping the dog safe when traveling or in the company of other strange animals. If so, acclimate the animal as you would for any uncommon practice and leave it at that. If he needs to be kept safe in your home....right, no business owning a pet. If you use your dog as a trophy, hide behind him from bad guys or otherwise exploit the breed unnaturally for your own gain you shouldn't be allowed to have them around. Dogs that are purpose bred for traditional jobs never benefit from being caged save the odd safety issue  Even dogs used for security are usually allowed room to walk around if circumstance prevents commingling.

We've gotten too used to rationalizing our own convenience. You know better than us your motivations and needs. Go ahead, cage that puppy just because it makes your life easier. Won't make you the biggest loser on the planet. Just another lazy lemming. And if you have any questions find a vet you can trust.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »
If PETA wants to invade these boards they better be ready for a whoopin'.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
[/quote

A vet once told me " the nails should "just clear the floor".  been heeding that advice for many years....
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »
"Anybody who knows anything about training dogs would look at this and laugh uproariously."

Maybe you should look one up and ask before making such stupid assumptions.

Notice that typically the only people who cage their dogs are those who exploit the animals and can't be bothered to live with them. Canines are not bred to be confined and as mentioned before (should be common knowledge with all the "experts" regurgitating erroneous data) will kill themselves in an effort to please us. Asking their opinion is of no merit.

A cage is a tool for keeping the dog safe when traveling or in the company of other strange animals. If so, acclimate the animal as you would for any uncommon practice and leave it at that. If he needs to be kept safe in your home....right, no business owning a pet. If you use your dog as a trophy, hide behind him from bad guys or otherwise exploit the breed unnaturally for your own gain you shouldn't be allowed to have them around. Dogs that are purpose bred for traditional jobs never benefit from being caged save the odd safety issue  Even dogs used for security are usually allowed room to walk around if circumstance prevents commingling.

We've gotten too used to rationalizing our own convenience. You know better than us your motivations and needs. Go ahead, cage that puppy just because it makes your life easier. Won't make you the biggest loser on the planet. Just another lazy lemming. And if you have any questions find a vet you can trust.

Opinions are like armpits...sometimes they stink...several "erroneous"  statements above.  :old:

dentin has left the building.. :bolt:

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
Opinions are like armpits...sometimes they stink...several "erroneous"  statements above.  :old:

[/quot :rofl :rofl :rofl

Heya Dent!      How are those furballs of yours doing?  And you need to resub and come say hello!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
I'm a member of PETA  :rock "People Eating Tasty Animals"  :D

Of course I don't eat dogs they help me hunt the eating ones. :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »
Opinions are like armpits...sometimes they stink...several "erroneous"  statements above.  :old:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Heya Dent!      How are those furballs of yours doing?  And you need to resub and come say hello!

Hiya  Morf...might resub as soon as I see the next "update".  The "furballs are doing great.  Hope all is well with ya.

dentin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:17:03 PM by dentin »

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Wow, I guess my family has been doing it wrong for generations. Like Morph said, I wonder why dog chooses on his own free will to go in his crate (cage) sometimes  :headscratch:

Very puzzling; I wonder if he just might feel safe there. Lmao.

:rolleyes:

OP: the biggest concern my family has always had with a pup is parvo virus. I know you will want to show your pup off to everyone, but I'd not take him to the dog park or let him walk around anywhere an un-vaccinated dog might have been. Parvo is very resilient and can remain mechanized "living" for well over a year if undisturbed and away from direct UV light. Mortality rate is incredibly high & treatment is very expensive for parvo.

You get the first parvo/combo vaccine after 8 weeks, but there are boosters and your puppy will not be fully (safely) immune until the last puppy booster.

You can also bring parvo into your house by way of your shoes and other un-vaccinated dogs. Be proactive and water/bleach 30:1 around areas you suspect.

Great looking dog there, have fun, take lots of pics; they grow so fast.

:aok 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
Wow, I guess my family has been doing it wrong for generations. Like Morph said, I wonder why dog chooses on his own free will to go in his crate (cage) sometimes  :headscratch:

Very puzzling; I wonder if he just might feel safe there. Lmao.

:rolleyes:

OP: the biggest concern my family has always had with a pup is parvo virus. I know you will want to show your pup off to everyone, but I'd not take him to the dog park or let him walk around anywhere an un-vaccinated dog might have been. Parvo is very resilient and can remain mechanized "living" for well over a year if undisturbed and away from direct UV light. Mortality rate is incredibly high & treatment is very expensive for parvo.

You get the first parvo/combo vaccine after 8 weeks, but there are boosters and your puppy will not be fully (safely) immune until the last puppy booster.

You can also bring parvo into your house by way of your shoes and other un-vaccinated dogs. Be proactive and water/bleach 30:1 around areas you suspect.

Great looking dog there, have fun, take lots of pics; they grow so fast.

:aok 

Thanks for the heads up! We're always looking for ways to keep him safe. I believe he's had 3 Parvo boosters so far, with another checkup scheduled for the 26th, so I'll check up and see how we're doing there.