Author Topic: Is a "tail slide" a gamey move?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Re: Is a "tail slide" a gamey move?
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
Tailslides can be done in various planes when a certain notch of flaps is deployed. Note: When performing a tailslide maneuver You will loose majority of airspeed. If You can tailslide planes please use it wisely as which most time it will cost you to die.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
Sounds like you are describing this, which isn't what I'm referring to as a "tailslide".  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfcsgF_h-60

FYI - you do see this in other sims (obviously....the film demonstration is in Cliffs of Dover).

Side Note:  Please add in the ability to embed Youtube videos one day, HTC!

I know what a tail slide is.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »
He simply had one option once he was co-e....and it isn't a pretty one but it does work.

If you are flying a bf109 in Cliffs and try to turn or maintain a co-E fight with a Hurricane.....you will die.  

Period.  

No slow roll to show your flank, bank up as he overshoots and lazy roll down on his six.  No throw flaps out and suddenly your By-Design-E-Fighter can magically outturn a plane built to turn fight.  It doesn't work that way.  You stay fast, stay fighting in the vertical and you live (and likely win).

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
Thank looked like a stick stir to me....like a complete accident, the hurri just missed the shot.

I disagree...he was controlling right until his nose dropped just before the end. I thought he did a pretty good job.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »
No slow roll to show your flank, bank up as he overshoots and lazy roll down on his six.  No throw flaps out and suddenly your By-Design-E-Fighter can magically outturn a plane built to turn fight.  It doesn't work that way.  You stay fast, stay fighting in the vertical and you live (and likely win).

Hmmm... sounds surprisingly like every ACM book I've ever read. Whoodathunkit?!
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
Disagree.  You can.  They just are different and in most cases harder to pull off.   I can get the F4 in Battle of Stalingrad to do it (but not the 109G2...I get close and she goes all nutty).  I can do the same with the various 109E models in Cliffs of Dover with the TF mods.  I can't in DCS (yet)...Frustrating.  :mad:

But even when you do its still not "helicopter-like" as it is in AH at low speeds...and I think that's the heart of the question.

I say they're different. You disagree and say they're different. That actually means you agree with me. 

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »
I say they're different. You disagree and say they're different. That actually means you agree with me. 

er....well....yes. 

:lol

Sorry...I disagreed thinking you said you CAN'T do it, which I now realize is not what you said. 

You are correct...you can but its different. 

My bad!  :salute

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
He simply had one option once he was co-e....and it isn't a pretty one but it does work.

If you are flying a bf109 in Cliffs and try to turn or maintain a co-E fight with a Hurricane.....you will die.  

Period.  

the fight was not CO E...the Hurri had a ton more...the 109 should have nosed down and into the Hurri as he came up and extended away from him so as to reset the fight so he could get the fight into the vertical. The reason he had to perform this manuever is he failed at SA, which is what I'm getting at...any of these "flashy" moves don't matter until the worst case scenario.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
the fight was not CO E...the Hurri had a ton more...the 109 should have nosed down and into the Hurri as he came up and extended away from him so as to reset the fight so he could get the fight into the vertical. The reason he had to perform this manuever is he failed at SA, which is what I'm getting at...any of these "flashy" moves don't matter until the worst case scenario.

The hurri had more E, but not much at the end because the 109 made mistakes....my point is that's something you want to avoid.

You are correct.....his SA failed him at some point.  But you seem to be suggesting this makes him a bad pilot without a full understanding of the challenges posed by the environment around him. 

I'll throw out a challenge....come fly Cliffs and see how well you maintain SA.   It's a weeeee bit more difficult than in Aces High.   Might want to give yourself a day to get familiar engine start and take off procedures,  RPM & prop pitch management,  engine management during flight (i.e. you can't fly with the engine firewalled all the time) and a few other nasty surprises.  I recommend you fly German and choose a bf109 E4 or E4N....they have auto prop pitch management that reduces the workload somewhat. 

After that....fly over to England and "pick a fight"....or wait for someone to pick one with you.  Hope you see them first!   :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 04:03:43 PM »
The hurri had more E, but not much at the end because the 109 made mistakes....my point is that's something you want to avoid.

You are correct.....his SA failed him at some point.  But you seem to be suggesting this makes him a bad pilot without a full understanding of the challenges posed by the environment around him. 

I'll throw out a challenge....come fly Cliffs and see how well you maintain SA.   It's a weeeee bit more difficult than in Aces High.   Might want to give yourself a day to get familiar engine start and take off procedures,  RPM & prop pitch management,  engine management during flight (i.e. you can't fly with the engine firewalled all the time) and a few other nasty surprises.  I recommend you fly German and choose a bf109 E4 or E4N....they have auto prop pitch management that reduces the workload somewhat. 

After that....fly over to England and "pick a fight"....or wait for someone to pick one with you.  Hope you see them first!   :aok
I don't have much time for Aces High/video games in general but if I find the time I will.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 04:08:19 PM »
"This is a game, therefore game it" - Skyyr   :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if anything is gamey it's the way Torque throws you around at stall speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVK3nhkOAg
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:13:36 PM by Krupinski »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
A true tail slide has been (and still is in Russian doctrine) used in air combat. This is what an actual tail slide looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCMaSWuh-4o

The latest Sukhoi aircraft perform this maneuver very well with thrust vectoring.

In modern aerial combat environment that maneuver is as dumb as Maverick's "I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by" maneuver from Top Gun.  It's the equivalent of turning off your engine at the top of a zoom climb in AH.  :D

If you have any doubts, you can ask one of our resident fighter pilots, like eagl, heater or mace.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
In modern aerial combat environment that maneuver is as dumb as Maverick's "I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by" maneuver from Top Gun.

Never said it was or wasn't, but tailslides and negative forward airspeed maneuvers are part of Russian BFM/ACM training.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:21:09 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
Krup,

You a Phillys, ill Bill or Villans fan?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
 :D